Help Me Decide, My AT PRO, Stay or Go?

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was planning on bringing my AT PRO down to the Caribbean during a 2 week honeymoon this summer (Mostly I fresh water detect here in Chicago). I've watched a ton of videos and read the debates and I cannot decide if I should bring it down with me or not as many say its not worth it in the salt. I do NOT have a budget for another machine (Wedding, honeymoon, EXPENSIVE!). I know I should be fine in the sand, but I want to get in the water....as deep as I dare!

Add in, the chance of it being stolen from my room, lost in transit, etc etc...Is the potential payoff worth the risk? The beach that I'm going to use to actually be used to collect salt, so I anticipate a very salty beach.

If I play enough with the sensitivity, ground balance and frequency enough should it be serviceable enough to bring it all the way down?

PLEASE VOTE ON THE POLL AT THE TOP OF THIS FORUM POST!

Thank you :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TampaTroy

Feb 3, 2014
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATpro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used mine @ Cocoa beach a few weekends ago. Dry and wet sand with the stock coil. It worked fine with ground balancing around 11 in the wet sand and lower sensitivity when necessary. If I had a pulse machine I probably would have spent the day digging up the hundreds of bottle caps and chips of rusty metal that I passed over.
Take it and show your love by leaving it packed for the 1st week. She will take pity on you eventually and let you out.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ATP usability varies even by stretch of beach. In Myrtle Beach (South End) it was fine in the water, wet sand and dry sand. Ground balanced at about 13 in the water and very wet sand. 30's in high tide area and 70's in dry sand. No issues.

Yesterday I was in Surfside (perhaps 6 miles south) and chatter was an issue at these settings. Ended up at 07 to 08 in the water and 80's in the dry sand.
Changing the frequencies got rid of EMI chatter.

My only issue is there isn't any new drops! I ran into Jim Brouwer and a friend and they did not have any luck either. Jim was in the water and the friend in sand.
They were hopping looking for holes. There were some cuts in the water but nothing found by me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread