Anybody SCUBA and detect?

China-Clipper

Greenie
Feb 23, 2007
Lebanon, Connecticut, USA
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI, DFX, 6000 PRO XL, Classic I & III, and Excaliber 1000
I'm going for my PADI open-water certification. Does anybody here scuba dive and detect? I have an Excalibur 1000 and a White's PI Plus. I'd like to hear some comments on how effective metal detecting is when scuba diving. And, the pros, cons, and any advice on gear or methods.
Thanks in advance, Rick

Upvote 0

coin_diver

Oct 3, 2003
Syracuse, ny
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, xl500 (27 yrs) XLT (17 yrs)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey China, This is a great method for finding great things, however you need to chose the right area first. You're in a good place, find some of the old resorts with natural swimming areas, beaches, then you'll find undistrurbed bottoms. Just remember, every spot has it's own unique means of hunting.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
I've been doing this since i got my first waterproof detector in '96. Make sure you get a short dive rod... it is a huge pain in the ass to try and swing a full lenght detector underwater in full gear.

The Excal and PI are both well suited for your job (I have both)... but remember... no discrimination on the PI. As for how to search... It depends on the area. Search around rocks, obstructions, etc. For swimming holes search under docks and diving platforms.

If the area is open, I usually tie off a line to a stake, and swim cocentric circles around the stake. After you do one full circuit, pay out 2-5 feet of line (depending on your swing size) and swim the circle again... keep going till you reach the end of the line... then move the stake.

But most importantly... and this was just brought up in the shipwrecks forum... be careful. diving is inherently dangerous. Get very comfortable in the water before you start adding additional things to worry about. Remember, one small mistake can kill you or leave you seriously injured. Safety takes precedence over finding something cool or valuable.

steve

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
And don't skip breathe to conserve air and extend the dive-NEVER

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Took me about a year of diving to get comfortable enough to detect and dive. I got a tesoro stingray 2 late last summer and used it twice at about 25 feet. I found a 14 k ring with little diamonds and a mag light that still works. Lots of fishing lures, also. Looking forward to this spring. Lots of new sites to check out.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Steve says, Safety first. Don't forget a good dive knife for cutting fishing line you could be tangled into. You can not break even weak line with your hands. Don't forget a spare air tank.

OP
OP
China-Clipper

China-Clipper

Greenie
Feb 23, 2007
Lebanon, Connecticut, USA
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI, DFX, 6000 PRO XL, Classic I & III, and Excaliber 1000
I didn't mean to imply I'd be able to detect right after becoming certified; but I look forward to getting comfortable enough to do so eventually. I'm gonna try and rig up a float tube that will carry a spare 80 tank. I figure my body will give out before I burn the air on two 80 tanks. I only intend on diving no deeper than 10 feet most of the time. That is where the loot will be; out deeper I wouldn't expect to find much jewelry. Am I correct in this assumption? As for fresh water, I hope to find some older resorts that had docks or rafts that people congregated on.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
You are right. You don't have to go deep-usually from 3-8 feet unless you know where they had a raft for diving. When I was younger I used to strap on a pair of 80's just for the down time and crawl along the bottom (go heavy on the weights) with no fins and just detect till 1-I either ran out of air or 2 got too cold. If you can find a lake or pond that had a public beach dating from the 20-30's you won't believe how much stuff you will find. Back in the 60's a place like that would be good for at least 10-15 good rings and hundreds of coins.
HH

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't wear your earphones while descending or ascending. Can cause problems with clearing if they seal.

Larry

C

Casper1

I have used hookah in Conn. saltwater bchs - 5 to 10 foot zone is good - but you can find alot out farther - look for old pics of bchs - some platforms were far out - some had high dive boards on them and were in deep water - almost every beach before 1970's had rafts and they were in deep water - you can hardly find a bch now in NE area that has a raft (unless it is a private one) - they got rid of them because of to many drownings

I have found old gold just about every time out underwater hunting - PI is fine - you don't find much junk in that zone usually - you might find more sinkers and lures though - depending on the beach

Attachments

• hookah.JPG
    hookah.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 259

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread