Rookie looking for a start-up detector

jcrocker

Mar 27, 2007
Long Beach, CA
I live in Long Beach, CA and want to get a metal detector for beach use, but I'm not sure what I should be looking for. I definitely want to take it into shallow water besides just beach combing for teenage girls' lost cell phones.

There are so many options and so many factors, it seems to look at; PI vs VLF, discrimination, etc. I'm not sure what is important for my situation.

Any suggestions? I guess I'd like to spend approximately $500.

Thanks for any and all help!

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For only $500.00 you will not get a new waterproof detector. You might find a used one if your lucky. You could get a land unit that has a saltwater mode and hip mount it for wading. This is the cheapest route if you never fall down in the surf. Your best bet is a regular water unit and there are two types to choose from, PI's and VLF's

PI's like Whites Surf Pro II, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Infinium LS, are all very deep detectors. You will dig giant holes for tiny nails, staples, etc. because they have almost no discrimination and love iron.

VLF types like Fisher 1280, CZ-20, Whites Beach Hunter ID and Tesoro Tiger Shark are fine detectors that have discrimination. Then there is the King of Beasts, Minelab's Excalibur at $1095.00. It doesn't discriminate out iron, it ignors it with 17 freq. that will still pick up a gold ring under a large piece of iron. Nobody else does that.

Suggest you check out the manufactures websites and learn about the different detectors for the water. When you find what you think you need, try to get it from a local dealer or Tony here in the forum.

check out thegoldenolde.com/

good Luck,
Sandman

OP
OP
J

jcrocker

Mar 27, 2007
Long Beach, CA
Thanks, Sandman.

I read somewhere that VLFs don't work properly in salt water? I'll take your advice and check out manufacturers sites for more info.

Anything else I should know before getting started?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jcrocker said:
Thanks, Sandman.

I read somewhere that VLFs don't work properly in salt water?

I have no problem with my Excal in the salt water, well there are two problems now that I think about it, the high surf knocking me on my butt, and the eye strain from all the bikinis, but neither is the fault of the Excal. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions