Excalibur vs Detecorpro pi vs Surfmaster PI Which one to buy HELP!!

O

ochoescudo

I've used the Excalibur for about seven years now and it's great. The iron mask is great for tuning out iron nails and spikes.

Upside?
-Finds deep targets.
-Finds really small gold.
-Can be set to ignore iron.
-Great tone ID on different metals.

Downside?
-Heavy, cumbersome and bulky.
-Freaks out around black sand.
-Quality of manufacture can be sketchy.

If you buy one set it up and submerge it in the bathtub for a while to make sure it's water tight. Why? My buddy bought on (on my recommendation) and we went down to Panama to look for Spanish treasure. The first time in the water his new excalibur flooded! He was so damned mad! I found lot's of great stuff and he was beside himself.

If it doesn't leak the first time it probably never will. I've been diving with mine for seven years and it's never flooded.

Coil size? The 800 has the 8" coil and the 1000 has the 10" coil. I had my 800 upgraded to a 10" coil but I wish I'd just kept the 8" coil. You can cover more area with the 10" but since you move pretty slow underwater anyway I think the 8" is better. Pinpointing is easier and you can get into rocky areas and ballast piles easier.

So that is my opinion.

OP
OP
nick1878

nick1878

Feb 7, 2005
SE Indiana
Thanks for the info. I think I am leaning towards the Surfmaster or Detecorpro. I might buy them both to try . Ihave a friend who will use whichever one I dont like. I am buying a minelab gp3000 for gold detecting and thats the most I ever want to send on a metal detector. I hope i is worth its price.

loganworks

Greenie
Dec 8, 2004
If you want more good information on the Excalibur go to MINELABOWNERS.COM I did a lot of investigation before purchasing an 800. The problems that they were having seem to have been fixed. Have not used mine in the field yet because everything is frozen now. If you are going to use it for diving like me then the weight is not an issue. even on the beach I would rather put up with the weight than a soggy useless detector if it gets wet.

buckmild1

Oct 26, 2004
Trinity, Florida
I just purchased a CZ-20. I am taking it to the beach (Clearwater Beach Florida) for the first time in the morning. Will let you know how things went. Looks to be a n impressive machine.

Eagle5US

Greenie
Jan 9, 2005
I have a surfmaster PI and love it...
I tun the coil on it's side to pinpoint and bounce off of hot rocks.
Only draw is the heavy outflow of water in the breakzone seems to adjust my coil pitch relatively easily and I have not yet bought the (available) stabilizer for the coil.
My buddy hunts the minelab-his only real complaint is that it's difficult for him to dig the 18 inch targets all the time :D

Good luck/HH

Eagle

OP
OP
nick1878

nick1878

Feb 7, 2005
SE Indiana
Thanks for the info. I can pick up a new surfmaster PI or around $290 bucksso Im going to go for it. I was going to get one years ago, but went with a tesoro sand shark It was OK dont have it anymore though

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread