My new Anderson setups

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just picked up a new shaft for my Excal II. I went with the carbon fiber scuba shaft, and then used the 24" lower rod to have it double as a travel shaft. I am a bit short, 5'7.5" and its still just a tad to short for me so I got the anderson extension which is really handy, can add up to 8" but I likely just need 1 - 1.5 inches. Its an over/under shaft, and will be great for scuba. For wet sand hunting, its a bit heavy, but I love the portability, and I didn't want a three piece setup. The weight of the actual shaft is super light, the build quality is great. I did get some carbon splinters on this first hunt, it wasn't too bad though.

I also put a anderson carbon on my AT Pro, mainly to get rid of the stock S-shaft, it really makes my arm sore. It was not cheap, in carbon it was like $199, which I found to be expensive for a detector that only $550 or so. I love these straight shafts though, they are definitely better than the stock.

I have no idea why Minelab doesn't switch to a straight shaft as the stock shaft on an Excal.

Also I talked to Anderson and they mentioned they have a setup you can request called the "Extreme" for the Excal, that is basically a kit that has every possible configuration in carbon. So over under, long, short, scuba, travel, it can do it all. I think list on its like $350. I did not get that. I go the scuba shaft and added a 24" lower and got the extension to give me just a bit more length. I didn't know about the Extreme until after I purchased, but it may be a good way to go.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason ML hasnt is because the Xcal is a dive machine...... Gary Storm designed the machine for diving not really wading. I tested Petes Nox shaft for the Nox...... he does indeed make some very good shafts. He will make you a 28" lower if you need one. I got one ...... and the Nox comes with a 28" rather than a standard 24".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread