🥇 BANNER -550 BC Coin found Scuba detection with CTX

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi all

Found today in the Med sea, -9m scuba diving using Minelab CTX 3030 with Coiltek 10x5 CTX coil.

IMG_0649.JPG
IMG_0647.JPG IMG_0648.JPG
View attachment 1110034 MAE-CTX-roundup.jpg
266373Ctx3030underwaterprogram.jpg

CTX_underwater3_1280.jpg

CTX_underwater2_1280.jpg

This coin is over 2500 years old!

Created by the Grec chamber of Commerce for the Marseille region (French Riviera)

->Want more photos of scuba metal detection looking for +2000 years old shipwreck?
Check out this post: Minelab Excalibur II - scuba diving

-> Battery leaking with your Minealb CTX3030? Need to waterproof your CTX 3030 metal detector:
Take a look to this post : http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/minelab/447583-make-real-waterproof-ctx-3030-scuba-diving-experience.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Really awesome find. Congrats! You gotta love this hobby. It really is the best!

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Find Frog - Pure jealousy on my part!!! Keep those awesome finds coming and maybe someday I'll be able to forgive you for making me look like an amateur!! :notworthy:
Probably the best find I have ever seen.

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Great Find Frog - Pure jealousy on my part!!! Keep those awesome finds coming and maybe someday I'll be able to forgive you for making me look like an amateur!! :notworthy:
Probably the best find I have ever seen.

Thanks TRF for your post!

I think in metal detecting you need to be lucky, and I was lucky this time. I can scuba detect during months without finding anything of interest so when you digg a piece like this one, it gives you faith to continue! No need to be jealous, my coil was just at the right place at the right time, I'm sure you would have found it easily if you were with me!

"Deep" Scuba metal detecting (far from the beach) for me, is the most difficult way to practice this hobby:

- Even when detecting at the same place, seabed changes a lot and you can experience +- 1ft. or 2ft. of sand that will allow/prevent you from detecting.
- You only have from 30min -> 2H of hunt max depending of the depth and gaz mix
- Need to focus on "real targets", you just can't digg everything or your hunt is ruined for 3 to 5 rubish diggs (old piece of Aluminium, pieces of ancors, pieces of WWII shells...). I probably miss a lot of intresting finds but you simply can't check every targets, it's impossible.

Most important, YOU ARE NOT on land and underwater IS NOT an ideal environement ;-) : you can't receive a phone call, you have to take care of your security and integrity. I know it might makes you laught but scuba diving with a group of 4 persons can be a "contained risk", when you scuba detect underwater you are ALONE most of time. Similar to underwater photography, scuba detecting is a nightmare for your mates :-) -> your are not diving for the scenery but for what is in soil....

If you have been metal detecting with friends on land, after a few minutes your mates friends are scattered everywhere and you need to shout to locate them.... underwater it is exactly the same so even if you scuba detect with a mate for security purpose, he won't be (almost) of any help in case of emergency.

"Deep" Scuba detecting brings an incredible satisfaction and reward but if you're looking for "easy" great finds each time you take your detector in hand, just forget it!

Land detection can gives you so much with less pain, beach & shallow lets you enjoy bling bling with comfort, free air and scuba detecting in <10ft. of water brings you to less competitive places.... deep scuba > 30ft.++ is a complete different story, not sure the Find/Time/Money ratio is the best...:laughing7:

Last edited:

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
WOW!!! That coin find is the find of a lifetime!

Mega congratulations on the recovery:hello2:

Thanks for the beautiful photos, too

Lorraine

shoague

Dec 29, 2014
Frederick, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro AT, Garrett Propointer+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think of the last time that the coin was held. A young Mediterranean on a ship working relaxing while the servants take care of his every whim. *smile*

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I think of the last time that the coin was held. A young Mediterranean on a ship working relaxing while the servants take care of his every whim. *smile*

:laughing7:

Excellent

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Incredible Find! Thanks for sharing!!

Zakurie84

Jun 24, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Other
This is ridiculous! Wow

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Just cmae back from from a scuba session and I thin I found more coins like this one... Keep you update shortly.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We just think we find old coins over here in the States...now that's an old coin...congrats on an incredible find.

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I know we don't have exactly the same historical scale.

For us an old coin is BC... in the US it's around 17/18 which for us is very, very recent! Anyway, the most important is to enjoy our finds ;-)

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I think they are in bronze or sort of, maybe with a little gold... and I will need some time to try to save them.... saltwater during +2000 years old is a bit corrosive.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread