Advice on pinpointing on beach

wayne007

Greenie
Feb 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I continually have a problem with rusted iron on the beach ringing like silver. When I use a pinpointer it of coarse doesn't see the iron so I need to rescan the hole with the mt. Question is do any pinpointers provide an option to switch iron on and off. If it did I'd save a lot of digging by identifying the iron early. I'm using a Garrett ATPro with iron rejected to 40 and can't understand why some rusted Iron on Florida's treasure coast ring like silver. Any advice is appreciated.

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2015newproductsandpromo.jpg

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So said I, untill using a CTX 3030, which is more sensitive than the Xcal.
I am now back to carrying a pin pointer to isolate a target dumped from the scoop after kicking the dumped sand out as it is faster to find the target this way.

If you look at U Tube videos, you will see seasoned detectorists using pin pointers on the beach when detecting with the 3030. Some targets, you have to walk away from as the pin pointer is not sensitive
enough to detect them. Some you can find by going back into the hole and dig some more as the target may of turned on edge. Others, who knows! You cannot find them - most likely halo effect. .

Oh bye the way, be sure to that there is no iron or other targets where you will be the contents of your scoop on and spreading it out, before you dump!

99.9% of my TH'ing is done on Florida beaches and I have yet to use or need a pinpointer. I use the scoop and dump method and let my Excal 2, Safari or Deus do the rest. Take a scoop of sand, check the hole to make sure the target is out of the hole. If it is, dump the sand somewhere the surf won't wash it away then continually divide and spread the dumped sand out with your foot, checking each side until you narrow it down enough to find your target. Quick and easy.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions