Advice on pinpointing on beach

wayne007

Greenie
Feb 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I continually have a problem with rusted iron on the beach ringing like silver. When I use a pinpointer it of coarse doesn't see the iron so I need to rescan the hole with the mt. Question is do any pinpointers provide an option to switch iron on and off. If it did I'd save a lot of digging by identifying the iron early. I'm using a Garrett ATPro with iron rejected to 40 and can't understand why some rusted Iron on Florida's treasure coast ring like silver. Any advice is appreciated.

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Put a rare earth magnet in your scoop - problem solved.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wayne, are you using a sand scoop?

Reason I am asking is you stated you used a pinpointer, I`ve never used one on the beach before.

When your hunting the beach, sandy or wet, locate your target the best you can with your detector and dig, its easy and a lot faster than trying to probe like you do in hard ground.

Using your detector on the beach is also a very good training tool, the digging is easy and it really works on your ability to pin point with you detector.

If you are using a sand scoop, once you hear a target try your best to pin point it with your detector, take out a scoop and rescan the hole, if its still there empty the scoop next to the hole and take another bite, repeat until u locate the object. You will find over time, that you will be able to better pin point with your detector and grab targets in the first scoop, naturally depending on depth.

Also Terry gave you a very good suggestion.

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
scoop and sift, no pinpointer needed and a magnet at the bottom of the scoop works wonders on the bottle caps. Some bottle caps will always hit like silver especially the Corona and heineken bottle caps. Must be the metal make up of them?

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The way I see it, after you learn to read your machine and know it's tones. If it hits in pinpoint AND discrim, you pull it.

Stevo007

Nov 4, 2013
Port Elizabeth
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, F5, CZ21,Garrett AtPro,Teknetics G2,Minelab Excaliber
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wont a rusted bottle cap also ring up in silver range due to masking?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rusted iron is very conductive and that is why it rings up in the silver range. A magnet in the scoop like Terry says will save you lots of time. Flies and Baits 256.JPG Notice the earring stud in front of the magnets.

ToddD

Mar 16, 2012
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are you guys finding big cheap magnets? I need to order more.

TampaTroy

Feb 3, 2014
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATpro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That rusty iron sounds like silver because you have iron notched out. Those targets don't sound so sweet when you can hear the iron in them.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazon.com, ACO hardware, Lowe's, about anywhere, even Meijer. I don't know about Wal-Mart as I wouldn't go in there if I was a Zombie.:laughing7: I use epoxy or JB Weld.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other

You can use the powerful magnets from discarded (recycled) hard drives from computers. Maybe a recycler will give you a hard drive you can take apart if you don't have one on hand!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to Bottle Cap Heck!!!! They Sound Good When The round Side is Up!!! A little Scratchy when the Edge is Up Especially with the AT Pro Get a Scoop it will Save You a lot of time When Your Hunting The Party Zones Chug

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard drive mags are best.
Older the drive... bigger the magnet...
Check drives for dates... and...
You can go by size... lower the size... bigger the magnet... USUALLY.
Plenty of vids on removal I am sure.

Older drive magnets are stronger as well.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The benefit is that it helps in removing ferrous materials (iron), especially smaller items which fall thru the holes in your scoop
The disadvantage, is that you will build up fuzzy iron deposits from black sand which are difficult to remove from the magnet.

Prospectors looking for gold nuggets often have a magnet on the handle of their scoop as gold and iron particals are often in the same hole.

Relic hunters, especially those who detect rivers often have hughe magnets on the back of their picks to remove horse shoes, rifle barrels.

falling thru the holes so
What is the purpose and benefit of having a magnet in the scoop?

Last edited:

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some clay or plumbers putty will help remove the "fuzzy" iron deposits on your magnet. There might be other suggestion for removing them. Just my 2 cents

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any detector can get WRAP AROUND on rust that throws it into the high range. Most you just turn down the sensitivity, use a smaller coil, or notch out the two highest digits.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To remove the iron fuzz from the magnets in the scoop, turn the hose on them.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
99.9% of my TH'ing is done on Florida beaches and I have yet to use or need a pinpointer. I use the scoop and dump method and let my Excal 2, Safari or Deus do the rest. Take a scoop of sand, check the hole to make sure the target is out of the hole. If it is, dump the sand somewhere the surf won't wash it away then continually divide and spread the dumped sand out with your foot, checking each side until you narrow it down enough to find your target. Quick and easy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread