How many gold jewelry is on a beach/in water that has been used for over 100 years??

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Northshore, Hawaiian Islands
I wanted to see what kind of responses I could get about this question, I have been hunting a beach that has been used since the 1880's. How much gold do you think is in the water/sand over the course of 100 years plus. This beach has had quite a bit of traffic and it was also used during World War I and II. Just would like to hear everyones take on this as an estimate of the gold that you thinks been lost throughout 100 years plus....

Upvote 0

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very hypothetical question but if it received a lot of use go with a conservative amount like 10 items per year so yeah there should be lots of stuff.

Regards + HH

Bill

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Sounds about right. Now, if this beach hasn't been hunted much, then you should do pretty well. Where exactly did you say this beach was? Haha

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
227 gold in the water and 144 gold in the sand...+ or - 3 margin of error.

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
guess i figure a gold ring is lost every one to two thousand visitors. just one of those many things i ponder while wondering aimlessly neck deep for 4 to 8 hours haha.....sounds like looking down has a more scientific aproach

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only way I can think of to come up with an estimate with limited info is the amount of gold items lost per visitor. Lets say it takes 1000 swimmers to lose one piece of gold in the water and there are an average of 2000 swimmers per month then there would be 2 pieces per month lost or 24 per year or 2400 in 100 years.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only way I can think of to come up with an estimate with limited info is the amount of gold items lost per visitor. Lets say it takes 1000 swimmers to lose one piece of gold in the water and there are an average of 2000 swimmers per month then there would be 2 pieces per month lost or 24 per year or 2400 in 100 years.
I did my calculations for a small freshwater beach...your numbers must be for a large saltwater beach.

Mike70

Jan 23, 2015
Gold Coast, Queensland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortez, Tesoro Stingray, C&G Wildcat, Pistol Probe Pro. Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I detected a couple of freshwater beaches while on holidays a good while ago, check out my recent post on "my best finds" not sure if it was ever detected, and I sure didnt go close to cleaning them out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Yeah that sounds about right, the 2400 in 100 years!! Think about it there are 365 days in a year and then you mutiply it by 100 years, those are alot of days, 36,500 days in 100 years!! Some beaches people lose jewelry almost every week or even every day something is lost!! And think about this, gold doesn't sit on the top very long, it sinks to the bottom because it's so heavy so no telling whats under the sand these days!!!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have yet to hit a virgin bch - in or out of the water
but I always look at it this way - if a beach is 100 yrs old - I figure that at the very least - at least one gold ring lost each yr would be 100 gold rings
now some beach may have 50 gold rings lost in a year - maybe more - some place like Miami bch may have 100+ a year
Fla. bchs are open 365 days a yr - up here in New England - they open on Memorial day and close on Labor day - so amount lost is greatly cut down
though a lot of bchs up here may be older and hold older gold - I get way more older gold each year than fresh drops up here
most of my newer gold is from Fla. and Carrib. trips

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welp quick story to this post...
I remember one year... 2 spring breakers came up and asked me to look for THEIR rings...
I was like ? wt.... it seems these 2 doof faces got into a sand war/fight... throwing sand at each other...
both were covered ... red... sand in their bloodshot watery eyes... cant see...
AND they BOTH lost gold rings in the process.
Problem was... they had walked away from where they were down the beach to come over to me in distance.
They had no clue where they "were".
When they were busy throwing sand into each others eyes... BOTH lost gold... heh
I saw a large welt on ones of ems forehead...lol... I am picturing ring "pinging" off of it. heh
I searched for a while...
And that was it... no luck... a year later almost half a block down from where that was... I did recover a 14k nugget ring...
Always have wondered... heh
I pictured the mark on guys forehead... Nope not a match... lol

AHHHH forgot POINT to story .... HEH...(just woke up)

2 RINGS LOST SAME TIME... errr

Last edited:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lost and recovered..... but the key is going to be buried beyond detector depth. Like most active beaches there may be thousands of pieces of jewerly there...... but you may find nothing..... until you get some significant movement. We get that all the time here in Fl....... so many people, yet so few targets. We know its there because the beaches have been around a long time especially on the East side of the island.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lost and recovered..... but the key is going to be buried beyond detector depth. Like most active beaches there may be thousands of pieces of jewerly there...... but you may find nothing..... until you get some significant movement. We get that all the time here in Fl....... so many people, yet so few targets. We know its there because the beaches have been around a long time especially on the East side of the island.
Yeah, Ive read stories where significant amounts of sand were moved from storms and hundreds of rings were found in a relatively small area...one of those stories was about the boardwalk area at Daytona Beach...these stories cause much debate between me and my friends...I think rings move around and gather in pockets, they don't believe things gather in small areas.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, Ive read stories where significant amounts of sand were moved from storms and hundreds of rings were found in a relatively small area...one of those stories was about the boardwalk area at Daytona Beach...these stories cause much debate between me and my friends...I think rings move around and gather in pockets, they don't believe things gather in small areas.
Well my best Fla. trip ..heck best trip ever was 26 pieces of gold (21 pieces of silver) in 4 days and most was from a small area (and I only hunted about 5-6 hrs a day) - about 20 yard by 30 yard area - $75 in change - the change slowed me down in finding even more gold - (told a friend about the spot after I went home and he got 12 small gold there out deeper over like 3 days he hit there before it filled back in)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-1/2233002959/in/photostream/lightbox/

fla4.jpg
flo4days.jpg he has gotten into a few large "holes" before and since that one and has gotten a lot of gold in them

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Casper, that helps my side of the argument with my friends...Im going to tell them to look at your post...that's a beautiful pile of yellow metal right there.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many gold jewelry is on a beach/in water that has been used for over 100 ...

Yes those 8" coils don't perform nearly as well, as many will argue,as the 10.5" coils on the CZ! I would faint if I ever hit one of those jackpot spots.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Wow I believe in Casper!! Yeah there is definetly gold out there but you just gotta find it!! I believe there are pockets in the ocean where things end up sitting!! Great job Casper, very inspirational!! One time a beach of mine washed out to sandstone and I found 20 rings in 1 day!! Very exciting day for me!! Its out there just gotta find it!!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know if you know my friend down there - he doesn't post - Bill Harris - Ft Laud. area
he gets small bowls like that now and then after storms - think he said his best was like 40 rings in a week out of one

Thanks Casper, that helps my side of the argument with my friends...Im going to tell them to look at your post...that's a beautiful pile of yellow metal right there.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes those 8" coils don't perform nearly as well, as many will argue,as the 10.5" coils on the CZ! I would faint if I ever hit one of those jackpot spots.
That one spot I got into - storm came thru few days before - it took maybe 3 feet of sand out and made a huge bowl - there was a little bit of iron that was heavy enough to stay - but got almost no tabs or bottle caps - the rocks and coral were not exposed but were just under an inch or 2 of sand - barely had to scoop - I would swing and in one swing from left to right would get like 5 signals - scoop = nickel...scoop= silver ring...scoop = quarter...scoop =gold ring...scoop=penny - take another step - another swing - three signals...another step - four signals - it was crazy ---I had to quit hunting each day cause my pouch was over flowing - no kidding. I was stupid though - flew back home when I should have cancelled my flight and stayed a few more days, but was down there with my gal and my last day there was a bad storm again and I did not get much -so I just came home. Next time - if there ever is a next time - I'll be staying awhile longer

OP
OP
M

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Here is what I found over the years but sold it!! Stupid!! Because the price was the bad $600 I only got $11,000 for all of this, if I sold this when the price was $1600 I would have made $24,000!! I hope I can reach this one day again!! _MG_6414.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread