Flesh eating Bacteria in the water.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The replies kind of reminds me. We have a lake about 25 minutes from me. There are hundreds of houses on it. Back around 8 years ago they drained it and draining it revealed many pipes coming directly from people's homes and septic tanks. They were given so much time to get it fixed or be fined. My aunt wanted a small place on that lake to fish and she looked at a few homes. We went to this small tiny lot that had a mobile home on it and the man was enthusiastic to drop the price around $15-20K to sell it. When we asked about the plumbing he kept skirting the question. I know for sure he didn't have septic.

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1431883133.641557.jpg
That's not all that's out there to worry about

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a cousin that waded in a trout stream in Central Pa.. Few days later went to the hospital, took the leg off below the knee.... few days later cut it off above the knee. They got it stopped by doing that..... so even the cool mountain streams can be a problem. Just never know what is in the water.....but until it or something else stops me, I'll be in the water!
I thought the cool mountain streams were safe...guess not.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea vice did a hbo video on the spill, all BP did was spray tons of corexit in the water, it makes the oil sink to the bottom is all, "outa site is outa mind" and it worked for them, no more public outrage. But the corexit is worse than oil for the enviroment, and the combo of two of them together is worse than each alone. Please watch this video, people need to know......
That whole story was complete conjecture...no proof of anything...OSHA doesn't even require a respirator to spray Corexit and the FDA says the seafood is safe to eat. These stories are usually pushed by the going green bunch that don't want any oil drilling...not saying it wasn't true but I saw no proof of anything on that story.

[AU:Magnet]

Apr 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty scary, I think I'll stay on dry sand for now.

If I ever get to Florida to detect, I'm wearing a stainless steel wetsuit, say 6mm thick. lol.

Surely that poor guy had a cut before he got in?

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
ISIS reports that they have 71 Terrorists lurking in the United States. Are we supposed to stick our heads in the sand each time there is a threat? Flesh Eating Bacteria is serious and so are the brain eating amoeba's found in fresh water. It's strange how I swam in lakes as a child and never once heard anyone dying from a brain amoeba. Guess I was lucky. Same when HIV/AIDS came out in the 1980's. Surprised anyone had children. But when its your time, you can be working in your yard and a bolt comes off a jet airliner at 25,000 feet and streaks to earth and nails you right in the head killing you. When your time is up, its up. Except when you get that feeling, you take one step sideways and the bolt plows into the ground then you are just lucky.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ISIS reports that they have 71 Terrorists lurking in the United States. Are we supposed to stick our heads in the sand each time there is a threat? Flesh Eating Bacteria is serious and so are the brain eating amoeba's found in fresh water. It's strange how I swam in lakes as a child and never once heard anyone dying from a brain amoeba. Guess I was lucky. Same when HIV/AIDS came out in the 1980's. Surprised anyone had children. But when its your time, you can be working in your yard and a bolt comes off a jet airliner at 25,000 feet and streaks to earth and nails you right in the head killing you. When your time is up, its up. Except when you get that feeling, you take one step sideways and the bolt plows into the ground then you are just lucky.
I think when people died from these amoebas back in the day, the doctors didn't know what killed them...they diagnose things better these days.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Bad stuff in Maryland Also, One of the reasons I wear a very lite drysuit and hunt early morning's to stay cool from the summer heat...

SNAG-0029.jpg ..

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I can gather from a variety of sources, unless you have a preexisting condition, the likelihood of contracting any of these nasty diseases is extremely small. You're much more likely to be killed on your drive down to the beach.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread