Flesh eating Bacteria in the water.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Mike70

Jan 23, 2015
Gold Coast, Queensland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortez, Tesoro Stingray, C&G Wildcat, Pistol Probe Pro. Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It sure doesn't say much for their testing ability, surely they wouldn't overlook it. Wonder if there were any more cases from the same area !

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This pops up occasionally on those beaches with river water. Also, a good bit of trash in and out of the water there. I believe more goes in the water from motels and drains than we are told about as well. At some locations you have to step across those drains..... and i highly doubt a 12" pipe is fresh water drainage. You get that SEWER or red tide smell at about all the beaches every now and then. I noticed last week the closed Sharkys beach because of bacteria. They had just finished renurishment there obviously stirring up the water. Even after Red Tide goes thru during the summer months if we get some real swell action that stirs up the sand you can smell the stuff thats been buried. They may clean those fish up off some beaches, but there isnt much they can do about the water. Most water samples ive seen have been taken at the waters edge. BUT water, salt or fresh, is a transport for most bacteria regardless of where you live. Just another roll of the dice in life....

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:

Xilfie

Mar 25, 2015
Miami, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Pro-Pointer AT.
Primary Interest:
That's pretty scary, I think I'll stay on dry sand for now.

Smalls

Jan 10, 2013
Sarasota, FL
Primary Interest:
You can find me neck deep at the beach with my detector. Thousands of tourists are in the water each day. One guy losing a leg won't stop me

OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can find me neck deep at the beach with my detector. Thousands of tourists are in the water each day. One guy losing a leg won't stop me

What if it eats something else:laughing7:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am more scared of fresh water bacteria....amoebas and such, crawling where they shouldn't.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely something to think about!

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
They don't call him "Smalls" for nothing

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man's message for beachgoers after losing leg to flesh eating ba - Fox 2 News Headlines Flesh eating bacteria in the waters off Florida coast beaches.

Time to maybe think of wearing waders or only hunt the dry sand.

Sandman

You have to be especially careful in taking care of your self in the tropics,as there are all sorts of nasty
microscopic critters that can get you (especially in fresh water) as well as in the salt water.

If you only hunt dry sand, you are still as risk, especially if you are near a river.

In Hawaii, the threat is constant - not occassional.

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better chance of getting killed in a car crash on the way to the beach than getting that bacteria...so everyone stay home...Ill stay home too..:wink:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone except the depositors? Lol

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to one of my old river wading spots a couple of weeks ago, not been there in 5-6 years but it was always a good place to catch smallmouth on the fly rod so I decided it would also provide some good rehab. Well, when I got there I saw this posted sign that went on to say/warn that any wading or swimming could make you sick due to all of the pollutants in the water. Sad, sad, sad, indeed.

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Had a cousin that waded in a trout stream in Central Pa.. Few days later went to the hospital, took the leg off below the knee.... few days later cut it off above the knee. They got it stopped by doing that..... so even the cool mountain streams can be a problem. Just never know what is in the water.....but until it or something else stops me, I'll be in the water!

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a cousin that waded in a trout stream in Central Pa.. Few days later went to the hospital, took the leg off below the knee.... few days later cut it off above the knee. They got it stopped by doing that..... so even the cool mountain streams can be a problem. Just never know what is in the water.....but until it or something else stops me, I'll be in the water!

What part of Central PA? I'm from there originally.

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Either Huntingdon or Centre county, it is real close to the border between them.

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Quick research:
Summer is peak season for Vibrio vulnificus, with 85 percent of cases occurring between May and October. Most infections occur along the Florida, Texas and Maryland coasts. Summer is peak season for Vibrio vulnificus, with 85 percent of cases occurring between May and October. Most infections occur along the Florida, Texas and Maryland coasts. The bacteria, Vibrio vulnificus, kill one in three people who become infected and thrives in warm, saltwater environments. In 2014, there were about 90 infections of Vibrio vulnificus in the U.S., including 35 deaths, according to the CDC. By comparison, between 3,300 and 49,000 Americans die every year from flu complications. The people who are most at risk of becoming infected with Vibrio vulnificus are those whose immune systems have been weakened or those who suffer from chronic liver disease. Swimming in saltwater with an open wound places the swimmer at risk of infection with Vibrio, but that shouldn’t keep beachgoers from enjoying themselves. Health experts recommend cleaning any open wounds after taking a dip in the ocean.

More common in Hawaii than V. vulnificus are the potentially fatal bacterial infections leptospirosis, staphylococcus aureus and group A streptococci, which can lead to necrotizing fasciitis, known as "flesh-eating" disease. Certain conditions, such as warm seawater or freshwater streams and ponds likely to be contaminated with animal urine, boost the chances of exposure. Many of these freshwater sources contain bacteria from the urine of feral pigs, goats and rodents infected with leptospirosis. Humans become infected by swallowing contaminated water or through the eyes or nose, or broken skin. In Hawai'i, there have been five deaths from Vibrio infections since 2001, four from V. vulnificus. People infected with leptospirosis may suffer mild or no symptoms at all, and death is rare, although it is believed cases are underreported because patients may not associate their illness with recent outdoor activity. There have been nine fatalities from leptospirosis contracted in Hawai'i since 1974. The two most recent deaths occurred in the past two years and involved visitors from the Mainland who died after returning home.

Hawaii incidents:
[SIZE=-1]The 34-year-old mortgage broker fell or was pushed into the Ala Wai Harbor on March 31. He received outpatient medical care at The Queen's Medical Center, but the following day complained of pain in his legs. On April 2, he was taken by ambulance to Queen's, where he went into septic shock and was placed in a medically induced coma. His right leg was amputated the next day in an unsuccessful attempt to halt the spread of the infection.

[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]When Johnson died April 6, his heart, liver and kidneys had shut down, his intestines had been eaten up by bacteria and his bowels were rupturing. His body had swollen to three times its normal size.
[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]V. vulnificus is the same "bug" that killed a 72-year-old man on Feb. 26, 2001, two days after he'd gone swimming in a popular saltwater pool next to the ocean at Ahalanui Beach Park in Puna. The thermal pond is warmed by underground volcanic sources, reaching temperatures of up to 93 degrees.
[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Herbert Wiesenfeld, a retired psychoanalyst from Carmel, Calif., was suffering from psoriasis, a chronic skin condition, when he entered the water at Ahalanui. He emerged from the pond with legs bloodied from where his scabs had been nibbled off by the little fish that live in the warm water.
[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]The next morning Wiesenfeld exhibited flu-like symptoms and his legs were swollen and red. As the day wore on he became disoriented and agitated. He was taken to Hilo Medical Center that night, and died the following day despite massive doses of antibiotics.
[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]A 77-year-old man who swam at the pond in October 2002 also became seriously ill but recovered.

A thorough cleansing with soap and water is still the best protection against infections, doctors said. Wounds should be closely watched over the first 24 to 48 hours.If it's not healing and it's more swollen, red and painful, and there's a fever and flu-like symptoms, that's the giveaway.

[/SIZE]

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
yea vice did a hbo video on the spill, all BP did was spray tons of corexit in the water, it makes the oil sink to the bottom is all, "outa site is outa mind" and it worked for them, no more public outrage. But the corexit is worse than oil for the enviroment, and the combo of two of them together is worse than each alone. Please watch this video, people need to know......

Talked to a detectorist traveling from FL to LA. He had stopped at a few beaches and talked to locals that were on the beach, but not in the water...The reason that he was told was the flesh eating bacteria caused by the oil spill / cleanup a few years back.

Flesh ? Eating Virus Caused by BP Corexit Spill Kills Man in Louisiana | Alternative

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread