DetectorPro Pirate Question

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
The detector pro pirate is not a bad detector at all. I have used the previous waterproof version and was satisfied with it.

The only recurring problem with Detector Pro headset detectors is their relability. Maybe they have fixed those issue but I had so much troubles in the past....

Last thing concerning detector pro: they always claim their product have updated etc... just ask them if their GreyGhost for CTX 3030 works fine or if they hav eany issues reported.... they will tell you they are great..... which is a complete joke.

With time I have lost confidence in this brand that appears to server old meal in a new designed lunch box.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, no, no, no! It is a piece of overpriced, overhyped,machinery. Spend the money on a multi-frequency Fisher or Minelab, or start with a Tesoro Sand Shark PI machine.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
No, no, no, no! It is a piece of overpriced, overhyped,machinery. Spend the money on a multi-frequency Fisher or Minelab, or start with a Tesoro Sand Shark PI machine.

Thank you for being less "corporate" then I am...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry is correct your better off buying something else.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just advising member that for the type of hunting he described there are better options. I own a couple DetectorPro products myself...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better off following TH advice. :thumbsup:

2ndoldman

Apr 26, 2013
Victoria BC
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frogmaster I have ordered the O-rings for my CTX and was considering getting the GreyGhost CTX headphones but after reading you statement I would like to know what do you recommend as an alternative to the GreyGhost headphones. The Koss ones are junk but I don't know of any other commercially available headphones for the
CTX.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Frogmaster I have ordered the O-rings for my CTX and was considering getting the GreyGhost CTX headphones but after reading you statement I would like to know what do you recommend as an alternative to the GreyGhost headphones. The Koss ones are junk but I don't know of any other commercially available headphones for the
CTX.

What a good question!

Do you need waterproof headphones? I mean do you put your head underwater when detecting?

2ndoldman

Apr 26, 2013
Victoria BC
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I intend to start using a hooka for shallow water diving. Up to 25' deep is where my limit will be but most will be in the 6 to 15 foot range more than likely.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Definitly the GG from Detector pro, just forget it= poor sound and won't remain on your head while diving.

You can use the crappy yellow KOSS that will sounds bad BUT will remain on your head .... or use a real underwater bone phone that works perfectly with the CTX, this one :

IMG_0848.JPG IMG_0847.JPG

I have mount it with the M8 plug for the CTX headphone. Sound is loud and clear and the bone phone is waterproof down to 3000ft... a bit more then the CTX is :laughing7:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you buy a DetectorPro (which I doubt you will now) go with the Headhunter UW. It is supposedly improved over the pirate. I have not even used the one I bought NIB for a good price. Checking the machine in my coin test bed, it hits as well as the tiger shark I had. I bought it for freshwater wading and diving and I like that the control is in the headphones.
If you are talking almost strictly salt water I would buy the 8" Sand Shark. If you want to hunt both I would consider the Headhunter UW

Last edited:

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been watching this thread, hoping that the DP HH UW wouldn't be a bad choice, since I bought one two months ago. I'm loving it so far in tot lots. Only been in the shallow water once so far, but tones well and discs iron real good. Haven't got the headphones wet yet, but plan to snorkel. Swings easy since the electronics are in the headphones, no box on the shaft. Rechargeable too, so no batts to keep buying. Hopefully, it will last a 1000 charges. Dealer claims 40 hours per charge.

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitly the GG from Detector pro, just forget it= poor sound and won't remain on your head while diving.

You can use the crappy yellow KOSS that will sounds bad BUT will remain on your head .... or use a real underwater bone phone that works perfectly with the CTX, this one :

View attachment 1175308 View attachment 1175309

I have mount it with the M8 plug for the CTX headphone. Sound is loud and clear and the bone phone is waterproof down to 3000ft... a bit more then the CTX is :laughing7:

Again, not to disagree with you FM... But my GGs have been ideal for diving and wading. That being said, my GGs are over 20 years old, so the quality and construction have probably changed. It can be a difficult choice to be sure. But, based on my experiences with my GGs, I would say that they are pretty much ideal for my circumstances anyway.

Cheers

Micheal

bresson3

Tenderfoot
Aug 22, 2015
Aquitaine
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX, Sovereign GT, Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1175308 View attachment 1175309

Hi Frog, i am looking for a real underwater headphones for the CTX. I bought a GGUW for CTX but the sound is lower. Can you tell me where can I buy underwater bone phone that you recommend in your post above. Thank you in advance for your answer

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a problem with how the GG fit my head and mostly my ears! So I silicone glued and silicone taped my old koss pads onto the new GG pads!
Basically doubled the padding! Now I have a Tight fit with a complete seal around my ear with no gaps where wind could whistle thru!!!!! Also no more rubbing on top
of my head. For me this add on was just what the Doc ordered!

Attachments

• GG 1.JPG
    GG 1.JPG
    196.9 KB · Views: 101

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Frog, i am looking for a real underwater headphones for the CTX. I bought a GGUW for CTX but the sound is lower. Can you tell me where can I buy underwater bone phone that you recommend in your post above. Thank you in advance for your answer

AGA Bone Phone, from ARON Intl
Amron International 1406-2 Bone Conducting Earphone with 6ft. Cable without Connector

Can ONLY be used under a wet/dry suite or an helmet. You need to place the CTX M8 headphone plug

On those photos, the AGA Bone phone is under my wet suite
516665frogmasterctx3030diver2.jpg

481201frogmasterctx2.jpg

bresson3

Tenderfoot
Aug 22, 2015
Aquitaine
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX, Sovereign GT, Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AGA Bone Phone, from ARON Intl
Amron International 1406-2 Bone Conducting Earphone with 6ft. Cable without Connector

Can ONLY be used under a wet/dry suite or an helmet. You need to place the CTX M8 headphone plug

On those photos, the AGA Bone phone is under my wet suite
516665frogmasterctx3030diver2.jpg

481201frogmasterctx2.jpg

Merci Frog de ta réponse. Je pense que je vais plutôt essayer de fabriquer un casque étanche à partir de la coque du GGUW. Il me reste à trouver les bons hauts parleurs miniatures. J'ai lu sur les forums que les audiosears 150 ohms sont bien. Mon casque Koss UR-30 est un 100 ohms, le son est parfait mais il n'est pas étanche. Aurais-tu quelques conseils sur le sujet ?

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Merci Frog de ta réponse. Je pense que je vais plutôt essayer de fabriquer un casque étanche à partir de la coque du GGUW. Il me reste à trouver les bons hauts parleurs miniatures. J'ai lu sur les forums que les audiosears 150 ohms sont bien. Mon casque Koss UR-30 est un 100 ohms, le son est parfait mais il n'est pas étanche. Aurais-tu quelques conseils sur le sujet ?

I understand french, but English is the language of TNET ;-)

I'm not an expert, but based on the experience of OBN, the only underwater speakers available the market are Piezzo and all manufacturer are using the same = poor quality. The GG Amphibian are much better but won't resist underwater for a long time but they are perfect for wadding (OBN gave me 2 weeks to break them with an underwater usage). The AGA bone phone is the ONLY real underwater speaker that work great >95db with CTX (GGUW = 75db).

Trust me if I could find an other Underwater speaker I will buy it, especially during the winter time when the water is >24°c ... I could avoid to wear a diving hood.

Sorry for that, but there is no other solution on the market IF YOU WANT TO DIVE. For wadding and occasionally submersed : OBN Amphibian, CHief surf Phone (from MAL, Malcom Potter), Sunray...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread