Florida Sharks

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
For those who come down and don't know ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435386110.027069.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435386143.799927.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435386169.817046.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435386190.763076.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435386228.537082.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435386247.847539.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435386269.610498.jpg

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are about 100 million shark attacks, each year — roughly 11,00 attacks per hour.Theese
numbers may be on the low side, since this this number is based on the number recorded.
If you dine at a large sea food restaurant, you may see 50 to 100 man, woman, and even children eating sharks while you are dining. If I was a shark, I would be terrified. That’s not even including the thousand of my buddies who have been waisted dangling on long lines or trapped in nets.

Of the more than 450 different types of sharks only a few are harmful to man, such as the bull shark, tiger shark, hammer head shark, you fill in the blank, close to shore in Florida waters. In my opinion, the bull shark is the most dangerous as it can live in brackish waters including fresh water rivers. If you look at the teeth of a tiger shark you can see that they are chiseled, for breaking shells of turtles. A word to the wise — don’t go out past the furthest out sand bar and avoid looking like a turtle which bogy do, especially when wearing short flippers on hand or feet to catch the waves. A hammer head shark has pointed cat like teeth, all the better for holding, so if a victim is attached, you can haul both the victim and shark back to shore.

I did not include the Great White shark, as it is heavily tracked and reported.
Most victims are released after an exploratory mistaken bite, so survival rate is surprisingly high.
You can tell from it’s triangular teeth that it mostly feeds on pinapods (seals).
Nor did I include the Mako, which is morely to hit a shiny propeller on a boat.
You will find this shark where the tuna roam. Speak of irony both of these apex predators
are on the threathened list.

Also, please do not bother the sharks, even a nurse shark — which does not have teeth, can gum you to
Death if you annoy it. The same is for dolphins, which may ram you with their head if you annoy them
Or confuse their sonar.

When you use the ocean for recreation, you have to realize that you are entering a shark’s world.
Knowledge and a little respect will go a long way in keeping you out of trouble.
While those pictures are sensational, they forgot to identify the type of shark photographed.
Looks like small grey sharks or spinner shark to me.

Personally, I am more scared of walking barefoot on the beach (broken bottles, sharp can lids, fish hooks, nasty staff infections — if you get cut). Then you have to worry about the sun turning you into a crispy critter or burning the bottom of your feet when the sand heats up.

Take care and have a great day, don’t forget to buckle up on your drive to and from the beach which is the greatest danger, or getting run over if you walk to the beach in Hawaii
SGC, I miss read your post, thought you were saying 100 million shark attacks on people..

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lost Items Recovery: " I wear my dive knife often incase one ever wants to tangle. I hear it's wise to slice their gills but I'll be slamming it through the top of it's skull "

- More likely you will hurt your self than the shark!
If I had a choice I would use my scoop to fend it away and make my way back to shore.
be calm, what you don't want to do is panic and appear to the shark like a fish trashing in the water.
You definitely do not want to draw blood in the water which might attract other sharks close by.
If the shark is aggressive hit it in the nose - they are extremely sensitive there. Hopefully you will be wearing gloves as the rough skin on a shark is like sandpaper and can cut you skin.

A shark brushing against you could also draw blood.
Most likely the shark that brushed you, is not attacking, but is feeding on small fish.

Last edited:

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes remain calm, your leg is missing but try not to thrash about. Slowly make your way to shore without losing 4 pints of blood. Once on shore don't pass out either, you want to make sure you tell everyone that you weren't acting like a fish and did everything right. Now die on the way to the hospital in a car accident.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obiously, this is a different situation, as most likely you have already been attacked by a large shark, or a giant barricuda since a limb is missing. What is crucial is to stop the bleeding and get to the shore quickly. Panic will cause a victim to bleed out faster. Most likely the attacked victim is already in shock and does not feel the pain. Hopefully a lifeguard, knowledgable beach goer, or your buddy is aware that you have been attacked and will assist. I carry an orange whistle and a small bright flashing strobe light on a seperate lanyard around my neck, which I can turn on when, when I am at the beach to hopefully attract help. In this case, you are more likely to die as a result of being having been bitten by the shark or infection setting in.

Your odds of survival are better if you are young as you are in better condition and your immune system is stronger. I know of two competition surfers who lost limbs after being attacked The first was a head on attack of a surfer on a boggy board in dirty water on the West Side of the Island. The more recent attack was on a surfer whilw sitting on a short board with limbs dangling in the water while waiting to catch a wave on the North Shore.

Both attacks were believed to have been by Pelagic sharks which periodicaly arrive to feed: shuch as when nesting sea birds fall into the water from abbove cliffs when learning to fly or when monk seals arrive to breed. The identity of local reef sharks are well known and are not considered dangerous.

If I could give you an unlike I would; this is nothing to laugh or get sarcastic about!

Yes remain calm, your leg is missing but try not to thrash about. Slowly make your way to shore without losing 4 pints of blood. Once on shore don't pass out either, you want to make sure you tell everyone that you weren't acting like a fish and did everything right. Now die on the way to the hospital in a car accident.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lost items recovery

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Two shark bites. And how many million people were in the water that day on the east coast?

True, true. Good point!
I'd just hate to be one of them or even see it go down. You are right though, they say it rarely happens and I believe that. I'm sure they are all around us at times, especially down here in Florida.
I do recall being in the water during the migration and knock on wood..."knock...knock" there were no issues, no one bit but then one came to the surface at Mach speed feeding on fish between me and a surfer and he alerted me to it so that's when it was time to get out.
The crazy thing was after about 10-15 minutes gold fever was still running strong so I headed back in but only in shallower water after that.
It's crazy the things people do for Gold.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
If you fear shark bites, don't go in the water.

If you are a common american driver, text while moving a 5,000 lb vehicle at 60 MPH and passing a car in the opposite direction with a closure rate of 120 MPH and missing each other by 24" separated by a painted yellow stripe.

I'd rather take my chances on the beach, thanks...

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Obiously, this is a different situation, as most likely you have already been attacked by a large shark, or a giant barricuda since a limb is missing.

What is crucial is to stop the bleeding with a tournequet and get you to shore as soon quickly. Panic will cause the victim to bleed out faster. Most likely the attacked victim is already in shock and does not feel the pain.

Hopefully a lifeguard, knowledgable beach goer, or your buddy is aware that you have been attacked and is assisting. I carry an orange whistle and a small bright flashing strobe light on a seperate lanyard around my neck, which I can turn on when, when I am at the beach to hopefully attract help. In this case, you are more likely to die as a result of being having been bitten by the shark or infection setting in.
Your odds of survival are better if you are young as you are in better condition and your immune system is stronger. I know of two competition surfers who lost limbs after being attacked The first was a head on attack of a surfer on a boggy board in dirty water on the West Side of the Island. The more recent attack was on a surfer whilw sitting on a short board with limbs dangling in the water while waiting to catch a wave on the North Shore.

Both attacks were believed to have been by Pelagic sharks which periodicaly arrive to feed shuch as when unfortunate blue footed boobies fall into the water when trying to fly or hen monk seals arrive to breed. The identity of local reef sharks are well known and are not considered dangerous.

If I could give you an unlike I would; this is nothing to laugh or get sarcastic about!
My post was not meant to be funny. It was a direct reflection of your anemic instructions on how to deal with a shark. Remain calm? Nudge it away with your scoop? Slowly make your way back to shore? Their not trying to hurt you as most are timid? Their skin is like sand paper and may cut you? The last thing I'm worried about is their skin. Your forgetting that 99% of the times the damage is done before you even know a shark is present. I respect every animal out there, especially on their turf, especially sharks. But to say "remain calm" is a little far from reality.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to know that you were only being sarcastic!

As a matter of clarification my initial response was to Lost Items Recovery reply: “I wear my dive knife often incase one ever wants to tangle. I hear it's wise to slice their gills but I'll be slamming it through tIhe top of its skull if I can still see it after playing the human squid!”
Since drawing blood or defecating in the water could worsen the situation.

I posted my opinion of what I would do, these were not instructions.

I mentioned that a shark’s skin was abrasive like sandpaper for two reasons: If you fend off the shark by hitting with your fist, you could cut your hand and cause blood to flow in the water, which might attract nearby sharks. Likes wise if a shark brushed against you while feeding, blood from the resulting cut could excite that shark or other nearby sharks.

I purposely used the word fend which is a more positive action than nudge and not as aggressive as strike, which could draw blood. I never posted anything on what to do if struck by a shark, since those actions would be reflexive, with the outcome often dependent on help from others.

If you look at the interviews of the victims, it is obvious that many were calm even, while being attacked.

Cautious would have been a better word to use than timid. Sharks have been known to circle survivors of a plane crash/ship sinking waiting for a member of the group to separate before attacking.

Oh by the way most the victims were transported by helicopter to the hospital rather than driven.

My post was not meant to be funny. It was a direct reflection of your anemic instructions on how to deal with a shark. Remain calm? Nudge it away with your scoop? Slowly make your way back to shore? Their not trying to hurt you as most are timid? Their skin is like sand paper and may cut you? The last thing I'm worried about is their skin. Your forgetting that 99% of the times the damage is done before you even know a shark is present. I respect every animal out there, especially on their turf, especially sharks. But to say "remain calm" is a little far from reality.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lost items recovery

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If a shark comes towards you just simply say...

"Parley. I invoke the right of parley.

"If an adversary demands parley, you can do them no harm until the parley is complete."

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SGC, I commend you for being able to handle such a situation and remain clear headed( no sarcasm). I however, would definitely poop my pants and scream like a girl.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
If a shark comes towards you just simply say...

"Parley. I invoke the right of parley.

"If an adversary demands parley, you can do them no harm until the parley is complete."

And the shark says, "I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means "no". And eats your leg off.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seriously doubt that you would do that, and would of handled the situation far better based on your prior posts to other threads. Instinctively, you will know what you have to do. However, one never truely knows what one is capable of or will do until tested.

Hopefully, some day we will meet and share treasure hunting experiences.
I would like that as I am especially interested in learning and exploiting the additional capabilities of the Sovereign over the Excalibur which has been ruggardized and thumbed down for diving. What has kept me from using the Sovereign, which I especially enjoy to hunt with, as it is lighter and has superior multivariable tone quality. What has kept me from using it, is the heavy and frequent rains (almost every day) where I hunt.

SGC, I commend you for being able to handle such a situation and remain clear headed( no sarcasm). I however, would definitely poop my pants and scream like a girl.

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I was waist deep hunting off of St. Pete beach last season.

People started screaming 'Shark' and running out of the water. It was like a scene from Jaws.

I really like watching the Manatee's, they are pretty neat.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I seriously doubt that you would do that, and would handle the situation far better your prior posts to other threads. Instinctively, you will know what you have to do. However, one never truely knows what one is capable of or will do until tested.

Hopefully, some day we will meet and share treasure hunting experiences.
I would like that as I am especially interested in learning and exploiting the additional capabilities of the Sovereign over the Excalibur which has been ruggardized and thumbed down for diving. What has kept me from using the Sovereign, which I especially enjoy to hunt with, as it is lighter and has superior multivariable tone quality. What has kept me from using it, is the heavy and frequent rains (almost every day) where I hunt.
I doubt I would as well. Composure must be kept, rational decisions must be made, common sense must be used. I try not to put myself in a situation to begin with. If it looks shady, I go the other way. The best way to stay out of trouble is to avoid it in the first place, then be prepared if trouble finds me instead.
Yes hopefully some day we can swap stories and near misses. I love my sovereign and will never get rid of it. One guy keeps his in a Thermos! But that's a story for another day. :occasion14: Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread