Scoops: Survey Question for Beach and Shallow Water Hunters...

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Upvote 0

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Depends of the terrain, sand and soil condition. You can have a all terrain sandscoop, but it won't be optimized for every sand / clay / shells / stones. I personnaly use 4 types of scoops.

Do you have a unique screwdriver for every screws?

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Depends of the terrain, sand and soil condition. You can have a all terrain sandscoop, but it won't be optimized for every sand / clay / shells / stones. I personnaly use 4 types of scoops.

Do you have a unique screwdriver for every screws?

That's exactly why I limited the question to beach hunters but I did go back and further clarify....thanks for pointing that omission out in my original post.

Lats

Jan 17, 2015
Westchester, NY
Detector(s) used
White Surf Dual PI, Ace250 with Double D Coil, Stealth 720i Hybrid, Beachmaster, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
I have the 720i hybrid. 1/4"holes in the back and 1/2" holes throughout. If it was 1/4" holes throughout I think it would be too much of a hassle to drain in wet sand. I also have a beach master with 5/8" holes. I ended up running wire through the holes to help catch the smaller finds. Not sure if it really helps but I did it anyway.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a tool for every job. I have three scoops, 1 for rocky north shore work(T-Rex 9.5) 1 with smaller holes for fresh summer ear ring drops(Stavr)1 for winter deep targets (old miller)when I use my PI machine. That new Stealth hybrid has got me thinking however.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with froggy. Four scoops also, One with Very few holes..for removing Very fluid like sand when hunting in the water.....looks like they run 13.0mm and the Diablo which drains very fast with many holes 12.48 for hunting wetsand into the water, I don't worry about the small stuff anymore for some reason.. .My sifter has 6.63mm holes...the other scoops are similar and backups...

6.63mm about 1/4

12.48mm little less then 1/2

13.0mm little more then 1/2

And the big factor in scoops for me is weight.. since I'm a old Treasure Goat

We Love are Millers don't we Mike!!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
99% of the time RTG with 5/8 holes - travel model
I have a smaller travel model I take on trips as a back up in case I hit a posh resort and don't want to stand out with large long handle

gold fever pete

Jun 1, 2010
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 720i Stealth scoop. 1/2 inch holes with 1/4 inch holes to catch ear rings and small charms. Nothing worse than getting a signal when you are in waist deep water and have it fall through. Never knowing what you may have had. Then to dig again and have it fall through again. Already have scooped several costume ear rings while in the water. I like it. Down fall is when you look in your scoop to see a bunch of shells and sand crabs. HH All GFP

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on the bottom conditions as to rocks, shells, etc. I prefer the 90 degree handle but if in deeper water the angled works best for me.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1/2" wet and dry

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
RTG with 1/2", 5/8" holes and 1/4" HC and button magnet in the rear corner. Works for me
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435433981.868186.jpg

Last edited:

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
I use 7" rtg. Ss. W lip an grab bar. Has 5/8 holes. Ideal for letting sand out an keeping rings in. Not so good with bullets or weights lol. Just ordered a stavr scoop ... montrek-9 or something. It has smaller holes...9" wide. Can't wait. The rtg holes are basically small enough to stop a dime and up. Treated me well for a long time. Hh gl -Joe

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The ABC Islands have a tiny local penny which falls through the larger holes in a scoop. I had to sometimes dig the same target a number of times. Goggles helped in that case to see the thing falling. Other places in the Caribbean or local lakes, I have not had such a problem and tend to like larger holes to get rid of the sand quicker. Probably the thing that falls through the most, that used to drive me nuts, was bobby pins and small nails. That was solved with a RE magnet in the scoop.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My RTG 6 inch aluminum has 5/8 inch holes...my Stealth 720 has 1/2 inch holes...I have 1/4 inch hardware cloth in the back of both.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am still liking the old Miller scoop mainly because of the handle. Miller Scoop.PNG But I would like lots more holes.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am still liking the old Miller scoop mainly because of the handle. View attachment 1180340 But I would like lots more holes.
Everyone seems to like the handle design of the Miller scoop...wonder why no one builds a scoop with that handle...Ive never seen one of those Millers in person.

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Everyone seems to like the handle design of the Miller scoop...wonder why no one builds a scoop with that handle...Ive never seen one of those Millers in person.

I don't know why. That was one of the first scoops I used. A place down on cape had them. Was in 2000 ish. I wish I still had mine. Hh gl -Joe

Lats

Jan 17, 2015
Westchester, NY
Detector(s) used
White Surf Dual PI, Ace250 with Double D Coil, Stealth 720i Hybrid, Beachmaster, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Only seen the miller scoop in action once and it gave the appearance of being a professional, heavy duty scoop. The handle seemed to be overly large and cumbersome.

However it may have been that the idiot using it was going at a furious pace in between blankets on a crowded beach generally annoying everyone. I wanted to ask him about the scoop but didn't want to be bothered with him as a person and just wanted him to leave.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread