No luck on the wet sand !

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, i cant seem to understand why i have not found anything in the wetsand on my beach for the last 6 months, i understand my local beach is well sanded in. However i find nothing but pennies and a few quarters to show for it.I know heavier objects sink in such soft sand here, but at times it is somewhat firm. Statistically i should have found one gold item or silver but nothing at all. Ive tried low tide, observed low areas and checked the consistency of the sand (hard pack or soft)...nothing, i have not ventured into the water this year. On the other-hand while the dry sand is full of garbage I've found numerous gold items and jewelry. My CZ-20, BHID and SH Mark 2 have been closet queens as a result of my luck.. haha. Posted some of the stuff found in the dry sand, i go about 8 hours a week due to work and GF. These are some of my finds, have found a few more items since. Dry sand hunting is very tedious due to all the pulltabs and Al garbage :BangHead:

Attachments

• 20150425_042447.jpg
    20150425_042447.jpg
    479.4 KB · Views: 157
  • 20150425_043007.jpg
    20150425_043007.jpg
    576.5 KB · Views: 146
  • 20150502_042347.jpg
    20150502_042347.jpg
    665 KB · Views: 147
  • 20150502_042404.jpg
    20150502_042404.jpg
    687.5 KB · Views: 146
  • 20150607_214728.jpg
    20150607_214728.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 20150621_225257.jpg
    20150621_225257.jpg
    514.8 KB · Views: 137
Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YOU NEED TO GO INTO THE WATER - less trash and hopefully more gold
I said this in one (maybe 2 of my articles) - you could go to a beach that sees 500 people a day and not find much
then go to a beach that sees 50 people a day a make a killing
the odds should be in your favor to get more where there are more people - BUT that does not mean you will
Ive been to beachs loaded with people and thought I was going to make a killing - found out later
beach was about 90% locals - and they told me yrs ago they learned not to wear their jewelry and stuff to the beach
I looked around and saw almost nothing around peoples necks, wrists or fingers - so the more is more theory would be out the window there
then one day I hit a little town fresh water spot - sees maybe 15 people a day - locals
went in and got 2 diamond rings and bunch of other stuff - come to find out they had closed a bunch of other fresh water spots in the area
and it was in high 90s and everyone flocked to this spot the day before
you just never
Id say you are doin okay for dry sand hunting

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Cartier ring! I found one this spring, that had be run over a bunch of times by snow machines. The little "screws" were all missing and I probably should go back with my Gold Bug to see if I can find them. Still 18KT is 18KT.

As for your question on the wet sand, here are my two cents: I have noticed that the wet area this is typically where the waves crash and it tends to mix things up pretty good (gold will be deeper or washed away, but pull tabs and light coins may be detectable or recent drops). As Casper said - better to go into the water. If you think about it, things lost in the dry are people being careless while sitting or drinking or sports. The wet sand, unless there is a tide, is a transition to swimming or playing in the water. Why would numerous rings be dropped there? One exception is a dog beach where people throw balls/sticks towards the water for their pooches.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Those are some eye-catching finds, :headbang:SouthFLdigger ..

Can't understand why there are no finds for you in the wet sand....maybe it's just a waiting game, and soon the wet sand will open up for you! Keep at it. I find lots of treasures at wet sand slope....not too much in dry sand.

Lorraine

garviso8

Aug 10, 2014
hialeah fl
Detector(s) used
minelab safari/cz-21 /bounty hunter quick draw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, i cant seem to understand why i have not found anything in the wetsand on my beach for the last 6 months, i understand my local beach is well sanded in. However i find nothing but pennies and a few quarters to show for it.I know heavier objects sink in such soft sand here, but at times it is somewhat firm. Statistically i should have found one gold item or silver but nothing at all. Ive tried low tide, observed low areas and checked the consistency of the sand (hard pack or soft)...nothing, i have not ventured into the water this year. On the other-hand while the dry sand is full of garbage I've found numerous gold items and jewelry. My CZ-20, BHID and SH Mark 2 have been closet queens as a result of my luck.. haha. Posted some of the stuff found in the dry sand, i go about 8 hours a week due to work and GF. These are some of my finds, have found a few more items since. Dry sand hunting is very tedious due to all the pulltabs and Al garbage :BangHead:
I live in your area and I also have had little luck on the beach .you look like your doing good on the dry sand I've tried dry sand and water and nothing yet .went out to a beach in Miami on a negative tide ,you could walk out about 75 yards where water used to be kind of neat to see nothing but crusty pennies PULL tabs ,bottle caps and long silences on the machine had to check every once in a while to see if it was still on:icon_scratch: oh' well will keep at it this weekend.hh

OP
OP
SouthFLdigger

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some eye-catching finds, :headbang:SouthFLdigger ..

Can't understand why there are no finds for you in the wet sand....maybe it's just a waiting game, and soon the wet sand will open up for you! Keep at it. I find lots of treasures at wet sand slope....not too much in dry sand.

Lorraine

Hi Lorraine, do you mean the slope in the water or the shallow slope leading to the surf? Yes I've done well dry sanding but wow is it a good workout, after 8 hours im pretty tired. I'm going to follow Casper's advice and get in the water again, the problem is i only detect at night had to poke away my fair share of dumb curious sharks sand other large sea creatures with my shovel.

OP
OP
SouthFLdigger

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in your area and I also have had little luck on the beach .you look like your doing good on the dry sand I've tried dry sand and water and nothing yet .went out to a beach in Miami on a negative tide ,you could walk out about 75 yards where water used to be kind of neat to see nothing but crusty pennies PULL tabs ,bottle caps and long silences on the machine had to check every once in a while to see if it was still on:icon_scratch: oh' well will keep at it this weekend.hh

Hunt with the CZ-21in all metal "Autotune" sens about 9, boost 9, BG 7, and switch to disc when you hear a target in all metal. My CZ-20 goes down 11 inches or so on a nickel in the wet sand this way with the 8" coil. But yes wet sanding no go for me, got to get my butt wet apparently, or work on my calves and lower back on the dry.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Hi again,

By wet sand slope, I mean the area of wet sand slope that had been covered by the high tide, and now is exposed as the high tide recedes. If I have enough time, I follow this area from the top of tide line right down to the flat area at shore line.

Hi Lorraine, do you mean the slope in the water or the shallow slope leading to the surf? Yes I've done well dry sanding but wow is it a good workout, after 8 hours im pretty tired. I'm going to follow Casper's advice and get in the water again, the problem is i only detect at night had to poke away my fair share of dumb curious sharks sand other large sea creatures with my shovel.

Attachments

• DSCF3509.JPG
    DSCF3509.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 90

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: Lorraine, are you crazy:laughing7: lets hope no one reads your post. It's hard enough finding targets with all the competition now your telling them where to look:laughing7:. Just kidding, when conditions are bad (sanded in) I hunt like you do. Great minds think alike:thumbsup:

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
I found one of those cartier love rings about a month ago at the mid way point of the wet sand about 1 scoop down. Mines a one diamond variety. One of my best finds to date. Congrats. Pm me on how much u sell it for. I'm curious. They retail over 2 grand

Last edited:
OP
OP
SouthFLdigger

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one of those cartier love rings about a month ago at the mid way point of the wet sand about 1 scoop down. Mines a one doing variety. One of my best finds to date. Congrats. Pm me on how much u sell it for. I'm curious. They retail over 2 grand

Not planning on selling yet, ill let you know if i do.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Hey Randy, :hello:

I'm just gettin' started with that work of art. :laughing7: . The really productive areas that I hunt will be forthcoming in further artistry...stay tuned :occasion14:
emo30.gif
( don't believe it! :skullflag:)

I wish you the best out there

:laughing7: Lorraine, are you crazy:laughing7: lets hope no one reads your post. It's hard enough finding targets with all the competition now your telling them where to look:laughing7:. Just kidding, when conditions are bad (sanded in) I hunt like you do. Great minds think alike:thumbsup:

Attachments

• news article.JPG
    news article.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 73

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Hey Randy, :hello:

I'm just gettin' started with that work of art. :laughing7: . The really productive areas that I hunt will be forthcoming in further artistry...stay tuned :occasion14:
emo30.gif
( don't believe it! :skullflag:)

I wish you the best out there

I don't read articles, I just look at the pretty women in the pictures. :)

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
So the other day I was at a beach doing my thing. As I looked around I saw 3 other metal detectorists. One was using an AT Pro and a sand scoop I can only describe as something my mom would of had hanging in the kitchen to dry lettuce after she washed it. He was also pushing 70. no competition there. The other guy was a sovereign and a dry scoop not much bigger. Close to formidable. The third was this 50 ish yr old woman wearing sweats, a harness and swinging another AT Pro like she was strung out on coke and looking for a 18th hole, hole in one against Happy Gilmore. She also only had the coil near the ground at the center of her swing. On the inside and outside of each swing she was seriously about 2 1/2 ft off the ground. This person was walking as fast as they could and although they were putting in some work, had ZERO clue as how to use it.
I wanted to give her some positive advice but then stopped and thought about it. Why give her sound advice just so she can improve and then possibly get what I'm there to find? I enjoy "sharing the love", but at the same time it's a "doggy/dog" hobby we have here. I opted not to give her any advice and just chuckled as she would grid 3 lines to my one from the top of the dry to the edge of the high tide line, never going into the wet sand. She must of thought I was doing something wrong because I was walking slow, staying low and swinging patiently.
I couldn't help but wait til she left and then walked her grid lines just to pull about 5 bucks in change and a silver necklace trinket.

Thought I'd share that funny lil story.

Back on topic:
When beaches aren't eroded at all I don't even bother to go into the surf. I keep to the towel lines before other people have a change to hit it and will get into the wet sand as much as possible. Having noticed over the past couple months that there are nearly ZERO targets even on a negative low tide day why would I bother to fight the surf on any given non low tide day? Other regions are doing well right now but So Cal is not. Times will change and til they do this is how I play it. I also have been taking pics of areas of interest with a background for reference to see how the sand conditions are. They aren't to well right now.

Last edited:

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
It's difficult for me to watch someone swinging like that; I have often struck up a conversation with a detectorist who is swinging "high and dry", and will ask them if I could offer some advice on how to use the coil more effectively. They listen carefully ; we say good-bye/good luck/ and off the person goes swinging "high and dry" again :dontknow:.

Some habits are difficult to break, I suppose.

Lorraine

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
It's difficult for me to watch someone swinging like that; I have often struck up a conversation with a detectorist who is swinging "high and dry", and will ask them if I could offer some advice on how to use the coil more effectively. They listen carefully ; we say good-bye/good luck/ and off the person goes swinging "high and dry" again :dontknow:.

Some habits are difficult to break, I suppose.

Lorraine

Lorraine, I know the feeling. In the past, I found that some appreciated the advice, some ignored the advice as you cited in your example, and others actually seemed irritated by the advice ergo I stopped saying anything unless they specifically ask me.

The ones that ask normally start off by talking about my modified Excal...one thing leads to another and finally they ask some pertinent "how to" questions. I never tell them what to do rather I tell them the way I do it. If they find that beneficial, fine; if not, the advice was worth no more than they paid for it! 8-)

Soldier on...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread