Tested out a Minelab CTX 3030...awesome detector!

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
And then Minelab made the CTX 3030
And all others were obsolete.
What a perfect machine that needs nothing but a charge to go hunting...no modifications needed, it already has it's own straight from the factory.
Interchangeable coil connectors, pin point button, headphone connectors, excellent performance, stability, depth, depth readings, GPS, numerical target display, collapsable straight shaft, adjustable arm cuff, back packable breakdown, customizable programming.

What more could you want?!
The CTX 3030 was very well planned out and far surpasses my expectations!

I had a chance to test one out and I can honestly say that I am blown away.

Great job Minelab and all your technitions who designed this work of art!!!

I have owned many different brands, models, types of detectors for different
Hunting environments and must say you ladies and gentleman have managed to produce the best metaldetector I have ever used!!!

Hats off to all of you at Minelab..... You have certainly outdone yourselfs!you are definitely the worlds greatest in metal detector technology!

To those who are unfamiliar with the CTX 3030.....my advise is don't by anything but one of these!
Save yourself, the time and money of going from machine to machine and get out and dig those precious metals that the other machines leave behind.
Don't waste another day or dollar and I can guarantee you'll be glad you bought one!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1444255372.354493.jpg

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TH.... cleaning isnt going to really help that cam lock issue of wear....just put it off a bit. My problem has aways been with the issue of .....we dont care we arent going to fix obvious issues. Those gaskets r an easy fix. People love this machine.....but they would sell a ton more if they had more confidence in them. All that said its got some outstanding upgrades.....but we still havent seen that watermachine that blow us away in depth. All the companies seem to be following suit..... reduce the number of machines and concentrate on one do it all......that gets in our pocket not theirs.

I get all the depth I can handle with my excal and 15 inch coils hunting in reverse discrimination....I have dug many targets 15-20 inches with it.....

Cam lock is simple and very cheap repair as in just a couple dollars...

Last edited:

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
I can understand you!

Each time I hate it, I take my Excalibut back ....and find that the CTX is a good machine :thumbsup:

It's like having a wife, one day you love it, the other you hate it :laughing9:

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I can understand you!

Each time I hate it, I take my Excalibut back ....and find that the CTX is a good machine :thumbsup:

It's like having a wife, one day you love it, the other you hate it :laughing9:

well yea, and when you look at it that way, the ctx is a heck of a lot cheaper and quieter then a wife : ) easier to carry around and throw in the trunk too : )

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In all fairness...
I am a MineLab lover... I make love to mine all the time :P (jK)
heh
Anyway... I like the concept / design of the 3030... and the features... minus the GPS... which for me is overkill...
but I look at the Excals Price point and its features...

Then I look at the 3030... for 1000 more...
And I just don't see the thousand there.

NOW... IF they had built the 3030 with FULL deep submersion like Excal BUT with the 3030 design and features...

They would have developed the best ALL AROUND detector in the world.

PS> ^NOTE TO MINELAB --- Maybe next wave MineLab :) ... but please be realistic on pricing.
$1000 diff? Not really. By the time your done making the Excal feel and perform like a CTX, your way over a grand. Straight shaft, diff coils, pinpoint, headphones, are not cheap mods if paying to have them done. Yes you can use an Excal in stock form, but would you?

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Owning a highly mod'd excal and a stock 3030 I can tell you that the 3030 wins. For a rock solid, hassle free water machine I'd do the excal. For an everything machine, hands down to the ctx.
Here's an example: You take the excal beach hunting. How many pennies do you dig? I dig TONS. You might lock in that tone in your ear the best you can but it's just to dang close to a gold signal. So you dig it. Penny... #%@#%.

Now take the 3030 beach hunting. You'll see that a penny is 12.36 or 12.37... what are the odds that it's a wedding band compared to a penny? 100 to 1? 1000 to 1? More? My time is valuable. I hit a penny with the 3030, I choose the option to discrim JUST that number and move on. I wont be digging pennies for the rest of the day.
Recently I went to the Carribean. The beach was infested with pull tabs. I mean 2 per swing EVERY swing. It was down right frustrating. The excal would of had me just walk away frowning. The 3030 I discrim'd 12.15. That was the pull tab number. Again that could be very fine gold but I'm talking THOUSANDS of pull tabs several inches deep. Time is valuable. Then when I get to a cleaner beach I can un-discrim those numbers again. .
Water proof? Nothing is salt water proof. Salt water will eat ANYTHING after awhile. Every time I take ANY machine water hunting I hose it down and then take it in the shower and clean it.
Excal used: 900. Straight carbon shaft (3 piece travel) 150.00. remote pp, 125.00 15" coil 350.00. better headphones 150.00. wires going all over the place asking to get messed up? All the time. Thats right about 1700 bucks for a USED, moded excal with NO warranty.

A little over 2k for a NEW 3030, no need to mod ( maybe 30.00) and your DONE with WARRANTY. No wires all over, straight shaft (carbon), has a pp function, gps, tracking, clock, multiple programs, user set tones, wireless..
I had a hard time mustarding 2500 for the dual coil set up I have but after going on hunts with my buddy who had a 3030 and I had the excal and constantly getting owned by him, I stepped up. The 1st two weeks I HATED it. It was SO different, but after learning it (still am) and tweaking the settings to make it act like an excal with the threshold options and being able to go deeper, see numbers, and make it how I want, my pennies turned into quarters and my finds have risen drastically.

Issues: cuff cam lock has a hard time fully locking in the arm cuff and you'll need to get a 10.00 o ring mod. BIG DEAL.

Another huge perk is the option to use most any headphone on the dry.

Last edited:

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a good thread and has been a great read. Thanks for all the input from everyone including the review from the OP.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$1000 diff? Not really. By the time your done making the Excal feel and perform like a CTX, your way over a grand. Straight shaft, diff coils, pinpoint, headphones, are not cheap mods if paying to have them done. Yes you can use an Excal in stock form, but would you?

I do... heh.. always have...
I tweek em in other ways :P

By the way... I own /run Excal2 #3...
Owned pretty much every decent detector that minelab has produced...
MINUS the gold high enders.
Along with Garrett...
Whites...
And Fisher... JW Fisher...
Bounty hunter... etc etc etc... Sheesh I could do thi all day...
I have owned TONS of detectors and tested or played with /used/ mega over my life..
Never owned a. Tesoro but have looked at a few lately for my girl...
I bought her an X2 (bought a pair upon release) and she did not like it due to issues with weight etc.
She still uses one of my old Whites IDX's... and also an ACE.

Depth... I run my tweaked pulse ;P...
Which wil blow ALL of em away on depth...
Sorry guys :P

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy her a Vaquero and she'll love you forever!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy her a Vaquero and she'll love you forever!

IS it water proof ?
She does not even hunt in water... she is a "dirty girl" :)... she likes to dig...
BUT even with that said...
I will not buy a detector for her that is not waterproof.
Again... my money... stays my money.

Besides...
I want to watch her and the detector wash off in the shower together at the beach. (metal detectorist dream) :P

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not waterproof but light as a feather for dirty fishing and dry sand beach detecting!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not waterproof but light as a feather for dirty fishing and dry sand beach detecting!

She already has "light as a feather" Whites and even lighter ACE...
Waterproof is issue...
And the deal killer for any "new" detectors in her future from me...
Her Whites was my old "trunk" detector that rolled around in the trunk for those "quick picks"...
I only owned it because at the time I bought it... it was 100 bucks helping a guy I know out...
That detector has been rolling around for at least 10 years... and not would buy another just because it IS a good detector and well built IMO...
BUT... would not pay much for any or one that is not WP... and used.
Most of the detectors that I have owned over the years that are NOT WP were used good deal purchases.
The ACE was gift. (not from me)

She did not like the Excal for the weight... I fixed that... but she did not like being "tied up" with the wiring etc...
She likes to just set it down quickly and being free of it... without the hassle.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well AARC, that only leaves the almighty ATPro unless she would swing a PI? I doubt she's that hardcore though, you must have a weak mind and very strong back to run a PI LOL!

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She has used my pulse ... with my custom box belt... but again... she does not like the "tethered" feeling.

Wanna talk about a heavy detector ?
Swing an 8x...
I have an extra arm muscle from that detector.
Got to be the heaviest out there.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8x has been designed for underwater use I guess... so no need to worry about the weight.

heh...
All my detectors have been designed for UW use Frog... :P
This does not mean they are used for this specifically... especially by me.

I have a custom made 4 foot mod skid for mine as well...
I can hit deeper than you are tall.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now i have to ask TH, why is kelleyco selling those gaskets and ML not just replacing them if those gaskets fix the problem?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Kellyco isn't selling them yet they are on order, I convince KC to order them and include one in all 3030 repairs coming in no matter what they come in for repair for and if someone wants to buy a couple they can sell them... As far as Minelab, I can't answer that, that is up to Minelab in Australia......

Thanks TH for the extra effort on getting a real water hunters input to kellyCo.. I'm seeing things now that I know we would have never been able to convince minelabs to do.. One of the best I think is the Battery Ikelite endcap.. before we had to purchase the complete pod, now we can get the endcap from kellyco. And Thanks to KellyCo for stepping up to the plate and offering services and parts at a very reasonable price.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot had to do with Barry and Dave ....... i believe Dave is a hunter Joe. Hats off to you TH......... thats an outstanding idea.... at least Kelleyco sees the need and is willing to step up. To Joe........ cant say enough about you. You have brought the best out of a good machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread