AT Pro for water hunting, to CZ21 experiences?

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an AT Pro, and it's a fine detector. It's found me plenty of good stuff in salt water. However, it does chatter, and I know that small or deep targets are getting missed because I am ignoring the faint chatter. If I slow down I can find those targets in the chatter, but I am considering upgrading to a CZ-21 to help with these deeper or smaller targets.

I've done some wet sand depth comparisons with by buddy who has a CZ-21 and there was not much difference in depth, so that is not my motivating factor for the change. The boost mode sounds like something I would really use often.

I was hoping to try his CZ but lately we have been on different schedules.

Anyone out there who has upgraded from an AT pro to a CZ-21 give me their experiences?

I'm interested in things like weight difference with and without computer chest mounted, battery life/convenience comparisons, leaking issues, comfort, reliability, etc, comparisons.

Thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep hat's the only beaches I hunt. I used it for only a couple trips to beach. I was able to gb it down to 15-20 and get it to run stable but depth was now where close to a cz in Autotune.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should consider the CTX 3030. By the time you are done buying and modifying the excal will have 1000++ in the excal and you should be able to pick up a slightly used 3030 in the 1500 to 1700 range. Once you learn the ctx the ATP will be relegated to backup use on land and water. There are many threads on the differences between the 3030 and excal. I sold off the ATP for 400 or so which meant I had about the same new $ as the excal would have cost me.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Being an AT Pro owner I'm sure you don't want to hear that it's not the best and I'm sure you do pretty good at the beach. My AT GOLD (for being a 600.00 machine) does dang good at a park. Living near the beach I decided to get an excal 1000. i got it used for 800.00 off CL. MINT w/no warranty of course, but mint. Not a scratch. I quickly did the remote PP, upgraded the headphones and did a hip mount. It does very well but I got SICK and TIRED of pulling pennies at 14+ inches. I also got tired of shorted wires. That's when I went with the CTX 3030. it aint cheap. If you don't plan on detecting ALOT, you probably won't make the money back in any short future. What I can tell you is that the pennies went from handfuls to a couple and the higher change and jewelry finds went skyrocket. Haven't hit a mother load find yet but i KNOW that when my coil goes over it, it won't miss it.
I say sell what ever detectors you can dare sell, save a little and get a CTX. Get a 17" coil to compliment the 11", get a 6" for the parks, do the water gasket mod for 10.00 and your DONE! i hunt face deep in the salt water routinely and it holds up like a champ.
Just my opinion. And fyi, there was one in the classifieds section here last week for 1200.00

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being an AT Pro owner I'm sure you don't want to hear that it's not the best and I'm sure you do pretty good at the beach. My AT GOLD (for being a 600.00 machine) does dang good at a park. Living near the beach I decided to get an excal 1000. i got it used for 800.00 off CL. MINT w/no warranty of course, but mint. Not a scratch. I quickly did the remote PP, upgraded the headphones and did a hip mount. It does very well but I got SICK and TIRED of pulling pennies at 14+ inches. I also got tired of shorted wires. That's when I went with the CTX 3030. it aint cheap. If you don't plan on detecting ALOT, you probably won't make the money back in any short future. What I can tell you is that the pennies went from handfuls to a couple and the higher change and jewelry finds went skyrocket. Haven't hit a mother load find yet but i KNOW that when my coil goes over it, it won't miss it.
I say sell what ever detectors you can dare sell, save a little and get a CTX. Get a 17" coil to compliment the 11", get a 6" for the parks, do the water gasket mod for 10.00 and your DONE! i hunt face deep in the salt water routinely and it holds up like a champ.
Just my opinion. And fyi, there was one in the classifieds section here last week for 1200.00
So, you ignore the 12-30's now? I've found some real nice gold, and yes, silver jewelry in that range.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig all above small iron if you want the loot!

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
No. And by the way a penny is 12.36 /12.37. I only do that when I find a penny peppered area. Same with 12.15 when it's pull tab city. In the wet I'm wide open..

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got the CZ, holy crap Autotune is sensitive. I've never had to keep my scoop on my shoulder before but I do now.. or if I drag it I need to keep it waaaay back there.

Made a chest mount, using it without was way too hard on my arm especially in rough water.

Only have an hour on it so far. Pinpointing has been a little awkward at first, will need to learn the machine, but it definitely had me digging deep.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PI machines will make you dig deep too.....the question is, are you finding anything good?

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PI machines will make you dig deep too.....the question is, are you finding anything good?

Only have about 4hrs on it so far, so just a few dollars in clad as of yet. On the dry sand, pull tabs ring a little weird... they bounce between mid and high erratically. Bottle caps seem to hit anywhere, mostly high tones so I went from digging none of these with my AT Pro to all of them with the CZ. That's ok though because I spend most of my time in the water, and it works great there.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Mines at 1 . Wide open then the other way just a hair.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions