T-Rex scoop handle

nutsdad

Sep 27, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II ,Ace 350, garrett pro pointer, AT Pro homemade sand scoop,RTG6 scoop with stainless tip
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Hydro Man

Aug 19, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000 OBN RPP & GGA
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I prefer a 5' handle so I use the Hisco 60" fiberglass Post Hole Digger Replacement Handles with my TRex.
They are strong and have enough buoyancy so that if you let go of your scoop the handle will float upright.
Plus they are cheap, you get two for $37

They are not a direct fit though because they are only 1 1/4" dia. so I had to build up the end with fiberglass.

Hisco Tools Online

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm a newbie to water hunting, so my choice may not have been the right one.

I ordered and received the Stealth scoop - without a handle. Their handle was light and strong and too darned expensive for my tastes - I'd already spent $271 on the scoop itself. My hunting buddy used a metal handle for his scoop.

I went to the hardware store and picked up an ash handle for a post hole digger - them things are strong - for under $20. What I considered a major advantage is that the handle floated in the water upright and was right there for me to grab.

The major disadvantage was that the scoop and handle were pretty darned heavy outside the water. In the water the weight wasn't a problem.

OP
OP
nutsdad

nutsdad

Sep 27, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II ,Ace 350, garrett pro pointer, AT Pro homemade sand scoop,RTG6 scoop with stainless tip
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer a 5' handle so I use the Hisco 60" fiberglass Post Hole Digger Replacement Handles with my TRex.
They are strong and have enough buoyancy so that if you let go of your scoop the handle will float upright.
Plus they are cheap, you get two for $37

They are not a direct fit though because they are only 1 1/4" dia. so I had to build up the end with fiberglass.

Hisco Tools Online

Thank you for the advice Hydro man. I'll try that

OP
OP
nutsdad

nutsdad

Sep 27, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I ordered and received the Stealth scoop - without a handle. Their handle was light and strong and too darned expensive for my tastes - I'd already spent $271 on the scoop itself. My hunting buddy used a metal handle for his scoop.

I went to the hardware store and picked up an ash handle for a post hole digger - them things are strong - for under $20. What I considered a major advantage is that the handle floated in the water upright and was right there for me to grab.

The major disadvantage was that the scoop and handle were pretty darned heavy outside the water. In the water the weight wasn't a problem.

Thank for all your help

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Stealth wood handles are outstanding...they are built to match the scoop.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ive been using the T Rex 9.5 for about 8 months now almost on a daily basis. I use what they recommend you use... As quoted from their site The T-REX requires a wooden handle that can be purchased at your local Home Depot so there is no down time if you should break your handle." . If memory serves me, i use a 36" wooden handle.Costs about 11.00 at Home depot. Feels great in your hand and is stout. I drill a hole smaller than the screw for expansion and then use some silicone when I put the screw in to keep it from working it's way out. I use it ALOT and i've only gone through one handle so far. Don't ask me about the TREX itself. 20150707_091730.jpg

When you get it make sure that the welds aren't dainty and have good penetration. mine seemed to be for looks because the scoop itself was weaker than the shovel handle. 60.00 later at a local welder, it is now stout....

Last edited:

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
I use custom made carbon fiber handles with a kayak grip finish + a coat of colored fiberglass to prevent carbon impacts.

Inside I put industrial Thermoplastic polyurethane to prevent seawater to get in(very light one) and I glue with special epoxy the scoop to the handle. The use of glue prevents the metal of the scoop to have any deformation due to any remaining gap between the handle and the scoop.

Carbon handle should be light enough to gpermit a bit of curve...but should be hard enough for not beeing too flexible.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

OP
OP
nutsdad

nutsdad

Sep 27, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been using the T Rex 9.5 for about 8 months now almost on a daily basis. I use what they recommend you use... As quoted from their site The T-REX requires a wooden handle that can be purchased at your local Home Depot so there is no down time if you should break your handle." . If memory serves me, i use a 36" wooden handle.Costs about 11.00 at Home depot. Feels great in your hand and is stout. I drill a hole smaller than the screw for expansion and then use some silicone when I put the screw in to keep it from working it's way out. I use it ALOT and i've only gone through one handle so far. Don't ask me about the TREX itself. View attachment 1226029

When you get it make sure that the welds aren't dainty and have good penetration. mine seemed to be for looks because the scoop itself was weaker than the shovel handle. 60.00 later at a local welder, it is now stout....

I will for sure get the welds looked at.

OP
OP
nutsdad

nutsdad

Sep 27, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use custom made carbon fiber handles with a kayak grip finish + a coat of colored fiberglass to prevent carbon impacts.

Inside I put industrial Thermoplastic polyurethane to prevent seawater to get in(very light one) and I glue with special epoxy the scoop to the handle. The use of glue prevents the metal of the scoop to have any deformation due to any remaining gap between the handle and the scoop.

Carbon handle should be light enough to gpermit a bit of curve...but should be hard enough for not beeing too flexible.

View attachment 1226065
View attachment 1226064

I hadn't thought of that with the carbon fiber. Might check into that too. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread