s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've hunted there numerous times without a problem. Good luck!

GeorgiaSwinger

May 28, 2010
Georgia coast
Detector(s) used
minelab Sov. GT, minelab Excal II, Fisher CZ21, minelab Go Find 60.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
They refurbished Tybee beach last winter all you'll find is a few coins right now no one is in the water too cold still, also SOOO sanded in and the film crew making the movie "Bay watch " won't let you on the beach Mon - Fri. from the pier to the south jetty.
did I mention I live not far from Tybee and hunt there 3 - 4 times a week and talk to the police, trash pick-up crew and the life guards all the time and no problem metal detecting there as long as FILL IN YOUR HOLES !! They don't like to see our holes left uncovered ...other than that have at it !!
only found one silver and one gold ring so far this year other than the usual trash and clad !!
good luck !!

OH !! the weekends of 16-17 and 23-24 are ORANGE CRUSH weekends so bring your CCW and don't go out after dark !! LOL

Last edited:
OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well that's a piece of info I wish I had known!
Now I'm bummed, half the beach will be blocked off and no one will
be dropping anything!

Next you will tell me they won't sell beer during filming..

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is a CCW?

GeorgiaSwinger

May 28, 2010
Georgia coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
City council is considering a ban of all alcohol on the beaches just for the month of April due to the black crowds of orange crush and the gun shots that were fired last year !!
you can still buy and drink in the bars just not on the beach .. don't know the outcome of their decision yet !!
a CCW is a concealed carry weapon permit !!

good luck !!

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you are just chuck full of good news aren't you??

GeorgiaSwinger

May 28, 2010
Georgia coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Talked to the prop manager this morning as they were tearing down most of the props for Bay Watch and ask him if they were thru filming he Said No !! That he had orders to remove any and everything the was not 3 feet in the ground or bolted to something that could be destroyed during the Orange Crush this weekend and next weekend. So they may not be filming next week !! Ask how much longer they will be here he said thru the end of the month and into May !! That sucks for both of us !!

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey if the beach is open in the south at least I won't have to move the car!!

BTW tybee is off limits for locals till the 21st!! ( unless you want to give me some pointers) (( I'll have beer))

GeorgiaSwinger

May 28, 2010
Georgia coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I can do that too !! I don't drink anything harder than Mountain Dew (soda) but if you want to I can save you the parking fees as I have an annual parking pass if you want to hit the other end of the island !!

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I watched a video of the trash after the orange crush weekend!!

wowzers!! It must take days to clean up the beach?
Seems like it's gonna be a hard week detecting

Duncan James

Apr 6, 2016
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can do that too !! I don't drink anything harder than Mountain Dew (soda) but if you want to I can save you the parking fees as I have an annual parking pass if you want to hit the other end of the island !!
yeah that's a bit of bad news. so the other end of the island is the north end? meaning orange crush is on the south end? and do the attendees stay on the beach, the hotels, or return for the second day?

GeorgiaSwinger

May 28, 2010
Georgia coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
You will be surprised !! ... by 9:00 am the dry sand will look like it never happened on the surface but all the buried beer cans and pull tabs will drive you crazy !!
even all the KFC boxes and chicken bones and watermelon rinds will be gone !!
I hunt the north end around the light house for a couple weeks after Orange Crush !!

GeorgiaSwinger

May 28, 2010
Georgia coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
yeah that's a bit of bad news. so the other end of the island is the north end? meaning orange crush is on the south end? and do the attendees stay on the beach, the hotels, or return for the second day?

some are locals and some are out of towners .. it is a mix of where they stay but it's illegal to sleep on the beach and they roam the beach most all night !!
it is a two day affair on Sat. and Sun. and this year it's a two weekend affair !! usually it's just one weekend !!

Duncan James

Apr 6, 2016
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some are locals and some are out of towners .. it is a mix of where they stay but it's illegal to sleep on the beach and they roam the beach most all night !!
it is a two day affair on Sat. and Sun. and this year it's a two weekend affair !! usually it's just one weekend !!
Spoke to the Tybee police. Their official position is: OC is not a sponsored event therefore they can only rely on what is on social media which is saying it is a two-weekend event. My rental company said they (the OC crew) promote both weekends every year but it only ever is just the first weekend. News 10 and News 54 sites say both weekends. I changed my dates anyway to begin on the 25th and end on the 30th just to be sure. Have you ever known it to be both weekends in the past?

GeorgiaSwinger

May 28, 2010
Georgia coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Never two weekends in a row.

I think and it is just MY opinion that they are trying to have a two weekend event because after last year the city was looking for every way in the book to stop it from happening at all this year !!
but they found out since it was not a sanctioned event they could not stop it from happening !!
hunting on weekdays you should be fine !!

Duncan James

Apr 6, 2016
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Duncan I don't know where you are staying, but I will bury something for you with my initials on it! ( I am on the south end)

Let us know if you find it!
Just saw this. I'll let you know if I find it. Have you been before?

GeorgiaSwinger

May 28, 2010
Georgia coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Don't know if you're talking to Jeff Gordan or me but I'll be there some where maybe we'll bump into each other !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread