Mitch1FL

Oct 6, 2004
Sebastian, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI1500/AT-Pro/Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an older Garrett unit. It is Single frequency. Based on the Coin Commander series of detectors but the coil is weighted for water usage. Not to good for use in the saltwater but great for freshwater lakes and rivers. One great feature is the pinpoint button. An option seldom seen on water detectors. The unit was prone to water leakage when the o-ring seal was not cleaned and maintained properly. The was also an AT3.

Here is a link to the maunal at Garretts webpage...

http://www.garrett.com/manuals/AT3-AT4-Beach-Hunter.pdf

Good Luck

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry no experience, but I knew poeple who had them way back when, and there are bound to be some still floating around. Single frequency means VLF; in todays parlance that is a no-no in salt water, unless you do alot electronically to overcome the salt effects - Garrett didn't back then.

As for performance, the AT4 was a good detector from what I heard, back in the day. As I recall the coil was smallish, 7" I believe and every old issue of W&ET had someone with one "cleaning up the beach". Depth is probably so-so by todays standards.

According to the manual, it had dual range DISC control which is cool, along with the p/b pinpoint feature - also cool. It would give a tone for accepted objects below coin and the famous Garrett 'Belltone' for coin range targets. The AT4 was also ahead of the Minelabs in that it used rechargeable batteries.

The o-ring seal is always the most important part of any wet detector. You dont know how the previous owner(s) took care of that, or if they messed it up somehow. The AT4 was not waterproof, by the way. Instead, it was "splash and dunk" proof. Mr. Garrett mentions it in his books that way. It is now long out of date, so there may be little in the way of service from Garrett on this oldie, should it be needed. Check with the factory on that.

Unless you can get a working model at garage sale prices, or already have one lurking around somehwere, you may want to err on the side of caution on this one.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry no experience, but I knew poeple who had them way back when
Thanks, I had one! It was fine for dry sand till I got a better machine that I could take in the water. I remember that mine would find nickels easy, but that's all I remember about it.

There are better detectors on the market now and unless you get the AT4 very cheap, you can let your brother in law us it when he uses his gas to drive you to the beach..... ;D

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...unless you get the AT4 very cheap, you can let your brother in law use it when he uses his gas to drive you to the beach.....
Snort!! - you made beer shoot out of my nose, Sandman. ;D

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have one of each ... AT3 and AT4.
Actually for fresh water and dry sand they are a decent detector.
A lot better than some land detectors that sell for more.
For the price ... usually less than $300 you can pay for it in a just a few trips to the beach.

They are rated waterproof to 6 foot which means wading not diving.
You must clean and silicone grease the seal ring every time you replace the batteries.

True ... they are old but they still work as well as they ever did.
A properly tuned AT3 or AT4 should do as well as a Tiger Shark (if it had a 7" coil).

Yes ... I have them mainly for family and friends who visit and want to go to the beach.

Willee

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread