advice needed for md for the beach

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
I currently own 2 low end machines and I want to search the local costline that I live 1mile from. These 2 machines are no good for beach work I am going to upgrade to another machine mainly for the beach but also for land work I have my heart set on a minelab not sure which model yet can you suggest a suitable model please or come to that any make as long as it can do land and beach. I know I should condsider a pi machine as there is aprox 26 miles of coast where I am but as far as I know these are for beach work only.

Upvote 0

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
one of 2 , the excalibur waterproof made for water hunting, or you can try the sov gt but not waterproofthe excalibur is the same as the sov, but waterproof. 1095.00 for the excalibur , 799.00 for the sov gt. also might like to add the wot 15" on both models. i use both these units. with the wot.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too can highly recommemd the Excal or Sov Gt. Both machines are the same only Excal is waterproof and minor differences on Sov. features.

Tiger Shark is another good machine that has a saltwater mode so it will be good in salt wet sand too. Changable coils and Lifetime Warranty if you ever need it. I haven't yet.

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston
Hey Sandman. Is the WOT easily added to the Excal? Just remove and reinstall? or does the factory need to do it ? Thanks HH Gayle

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you do it yourself you will void any warranty the Excal has left, I have been told if you send it to ML they will do it and the warranty is still vaid. If no warranty, from what I have been told it is not a hard process and allows you to switch coils.

This is just what I have been told, Sandman knows more then I have lifetime left to learn so I will bow to his knowledge if he disagrees.

I do have a WOT on my SOV GT and I love it.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
I Picked up my current excal used back in Jan or Feb of this year (07). There was about 2 months left on the warranty... so I sent it in for a checkup, and ordered the WOT while it was away. the WOT arrived a few days before my excal was returned with a clean bill of health.

I read the directions that come with the WOT... it seemed very simple to do. It took me about an hour to cut, splice, and solder the new connectors onto the Excal and my "old" 8" coil. When I fired it up... I got an odd tone, and couldn't detect anything. A quick call to Coiltek the next day resolved the issue (I was told that the coils are made in 2 separate places, and that occasionally, a different colored wire was used). I switched the wires according to the tech, and it has worked perfectly since then.

Swapping the coils (from 8" to 15" or back) takes about 20 seconds. My only advice is. even though the connectors are waterproof... run a layer of electrical tape around the ends, just to be sure.

steve

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Another thing to consider about the Wot coil is weight and it is very hard to use in the water because of the extra drag which if there is any current it is murder.You must also be careful with the in line waterproof connectors. There has been a lot of trouble with them developing leaks. You must make sure you use a good silicone sealant on the rubber seals. If you want to make your machine more manageable consider putting it on a staight balanced shaft, this will eliminate a lot of the weight. Good luck seeya Neilo ;D

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read the directions that come with the WOT... it seemed very simple to do. It took me about an hour to cut, splice, and solder the new connectors onto the Excal and my "old" 8" coil. When I fired it up... I got an odd tone, and couldn't detect anything. A quick call to Coiltek the next day resolved the issue (I was told that the coils are made in 2 separate places, and that occasionally, a different colored wire was used). I switched the wires according to the tech, and it has worked perfectly since then.

Steve and Neilo are right about the WOT coil. Anytime you have a connection in the wire, there is a problem waiting to happen. Also the larger coil has more wight and drag in the water that you have to consider. I am hoping Minelab will add a connector themselves or have the removable coils like the Tiger Sharks and Sand Sharks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread