What is your beach preference?????

Mr. Mojo

Jan 9, 2007
Hummelstown, PA
Detector(s) used
Exp II
I do not hunt beaches often, only once or twice a year. This 4th my son and I went to Cape May, NJ. On their beaches we both detected for a time over two days. We only found clad. I was finding quarters at 8-10 in dry sand and small metal frags of brass/bronze 6-8 in wet. My Exp II did well, I am sure that if I walked over a ring it would have found it. I started to think and came up with this hypothesis.

Cape May is a victorian town, very family oriented. Clean, with some body art, almost no piercings. Wildwood just north of Cape May is the opposite. Wildwood is younger and more circus like. More Bling so to speak. Many people from northern NJ and NYC prefer the Wildwood over CM.

My Question: Givin a time limitation......would you folks who have more beach experience choose the Wildwood beach over Cape May?

I have to believe that we would have a better chance at jewelry on WW.

Chuck

Upvote 0

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
i hunted wildwood a few time, spent aweek there one summer, i must say it gets a nice group of people there near the board walk, i did ok there not real great, but i would go again andy time i get gold somewhere i always go back, as for capemay never hunted there, so no help with that,,, rjnail

Kut2TheChase

Jun 27, 2007
NJ
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 NATO - Explorer SE
Interesting. I am sitting in a bed n breakfast in wildwood, nj right now. I went to the beach today with the excalibur 1000 and didnt find anything but very small amount of clad. Actually most was found by eye at low tide!
Walking along and seeing the coin in 4 inches of water before you get to it makes you wonder why you spend a grand on a machine at times like that =)
Funny thing, I was thinking of going to cape may tomorrow! hahaha.
Theres also alot of trash here, I dug a bunch of nails and strange rocks that sounded on the MD.
Overall, Im not too impressed as I get the feeling these beaches are very well fished down here.
I will give Cape may a try tomorrow, we can switch!
By the way, where did you go in Cape May? I was thinking by Cape May point state park, but Im not sure if thats allowed. I wanted to go by the lighthouse beach area. Any thoughts anyone?
Thanks,
D

OP
OP
Mr. Mojo

Mr. Mojo

Jan 9, 2007
Hummelstown, PA
Detector(s) used
Exp II
I had suspected that the beach is cleaned nightly with some device pulled by a farm tractor. I do not believe that it can get coins and rings. I just have not had the success I hoped for. I worked the beach behind the main arcade area and some to the north. I saw one MD'r to the south but did not meet up with him. Winds on the 4th blew the sand off and you would see the recent booty on the surface. The Exp II sounded quite well, not like the Whites XLT I had last year which would sound on false targets. I picked up items like small pins of mickey mouse and so forth so I knew i could find bling. Just not my day so to speak.

A thought though, would going in Sept or Oct still provide finds or is it picked over by then????

Chuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread