NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant speak for others - cant give an answer that will cover "all" beaches
if you are lucky enough to find a virgin spot - then it could be good from ankles to over your head
I hit mainly spots that are hammered to death - so each year I try and get out a little deeper because that's where the gold is
- I use a mask & snorkel 95% of the time - a handful of guys copy me now and try hitting out deeper now also
now this year I hit one spot that is usually hammered from just below my chest all the way in at low - from waist to chin it was clean
so that told me that guys were trying to hit where I hit - normally I would go find another spot - but hit the shallows and started
killing it from like thigh deep to ankles - so you never can tell - this is in salt water - and mainly at spots with gradual deepening
now fresh can be completely different - and there are variables - is it a kiddy bch mostly - family bch , teenager or adult spot
does it have a gradual depth or sharp drop offs ...natural bottom - man made (sand is brought in)
sandy, clay, mucky, muddy?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think about people walking out in the water, whats the first thing they do is splash cold water onto each other.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Tides can change so much, timing is a big thing...

Being in Mass I would say go out and watch the other hunters, see where there hunting.

And research the history of those beach's, lots of old gold up North.. And No one gets it all...

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This will not answer you question as stated, but might help you in you shallow water searches.
Most publish writing I have read state that the first 4 feet of water is where most items area lost. Sounds good for fresh water beaches. For salt water beaches you will have to add in the height of the tides. So, if your tides run 6 feet from low to high, you are looking at he first 10 feet of water depth from the high tide line. Good targets have been retrieved from the dry sand to beyond the point I can reach even when using a full face mask and I am 6 feet tall. Detect where you feel comfortable, at beaches that are less detected and you can legally enter and you will do well. It may take a bit of observation on your part. Remember the more you learn, the more you will enjoy the hobby of metal detecting.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent you a PM with link to some articles ive written
some may help - others may inspire

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No definitive answer, I'd say generally people like to frolic in water about waist to chest high. Others make a point of it to swim out as far as allowed if a swim line is established, often clinging onto the markers/buoys or line itself.

Both can be productive but these areas are also the most reachable for competition and are often hammered clean. Some guys go out at the crack of dawn nearly every day, some towards the night, others in the heat of day [me]. So finds/replenishment will depend on the amount of traffic the beach has, and the amount of other guys detecting it. I've detected beaches with decent traffic were I haven't even found a bottecap from ankle deep to neck deep, a sure sign of hammering by guys who pick up litter [in their own interests, they don't want to keep finding the same bottlecaps]. But there are always fresh drops, and some beaches are so vast that the whole wading area cannot be effectively covered even by crowds of regulars.

I went to a beach the day after labor day, this beach does not allow detecting between memorial and labor days. Got out there at 6am when the park opened, as it was still dark I went to McD's for breakfast.
About 6:45 when I got there there were no fewer than 14 guys in the water, with another half dozen combing the sand. Some of them had head mounted flashlights do they could detect at 6am sharp. Managed to still find a couple of rings, but this illustrates the amount of competition at some places.
Places that allow detecting year round you won't see a swarm like that, but its easy to tell a regularly hammered beach - And if you detect enough, you'll meet some of these regulars. Some will be very friendly, some resentful that you are intruding on "their turf".

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beaches have multiple zones and zones are in different locations depending on the tides which change every day. I have found a lot of rings in ankle to waist deep, but also found quite a few in waist to chest. Remember high tide people are at totally different location than low tide too.... You really need to observe the beach and watch where the people group together the most...

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
The sand moves, and moves the objects with it.

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sent you a PM with link to some articles ive written
some may help - others may inspire

Would I be out of line asking for a link to the articles as well? I am new to water detecting and could use some pointers.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I primarily hunt fresh water lakes with swimming areas where the sand is brought in. Mostly Hispanic so it is a big family affair, most of the jewelry I find is knee to chest deep. There is a lot of competition so timing is everything. Good luck!

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
where ever you dig the most, thats where you will find the most

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
"All the gold is in the water" says an old pro. Mostly true. ...waist deep and beyond and where people congregate and swim. And over there, where you would least expect it. -Joe

At what depth knee deep to chest deep are most finds recovered

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread