New coil for excalibur

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Hey all,

I am converting an Excal 800 to a plugger shaft and will be putting on a new coil.

It looks like the NEL and Cors people have some well priced coils that are reasonable cost.

I also see the WOT being a similar size and big bucks.

What do you guys think?

What is the best coil for a dedicated beach machine?

Cost no object, would you choose the WOT over, say, the NEL attack coil?

I have some time to search for more clad to pay for this mod, but I would appreciate the opinions of those that hunt the water.

Thanks

Upvote 0

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've use the WOT for over 20 years and never looked at another. After 4,000 hour on my first WOT I had to repair it and it lasted another 3,000. Changed to my second WOT it has been going strong for over 3,000 hour, but just gave up the ghost. Price is now almost $325
and having used the smaller 10 inch standard coil...that is where I will be staying. Several reasons: first I have the ATX for salt water, second I have the ATPro with the BIG NEL ( a few inches bigger than the WOT) for fresh water. I also have the original horseshoe coil that came on the Sword Excalibur (before the 800 and 1000) detectors came to market. The NEL TORNADO sell for about $225 a hundred less than the WOT.

The original WOT coil will NOT work on the new Excalibur II detectors, so I am told. I understand that Coiltek has a new WOT for the Excalibur but I have not found out if it is backwards compatible to the Sword and Excalibur 800 and 1000. If all this makes sense, I wonder about other third part coils such as the NELs. Ask someone in the know...the manufacturer would be the best to ask before spending big bucks and ending up with a coil that is not compatible with your detector.

OP
OP
B

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
I was not aware of any incompatibility with the excal II, thanks for the tip.

It sounds like the WOT is durable enough.

Jim in MA

Apr 21, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal with Wot, Infinium LS , CZ7a PRO
I have both the Wot and the Nel Attack
The Nel is by far a more stable coil. Very quiet and when it makes a sound you have to check it because usually there is something there. used mostly in fresh water.
Good luck on your decision Jim

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What is the best coil for a dedicated beach machine?

For the Excal, I think the 10'' coil it comes with is. Perfect size for the beach and not too big for the water. I have a 17'' on my CTX that I use for the beach only.

OP
OP
B

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
For the Excal, I think the 10'' coil it comes with is. Perfect size for the beach and not too big for the water. I have a 17'' on my CTX that I use for the beach only.

I also use the 17 on my CTX.
My Excal has the 800 coil, which is why I am adding a larger coil.

Jim, thanks for the advice on the NEL. I will probably be looking at that one when it is time.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both the Wot and the Nel Attack
The Nel is by far a more stable coil. Very quiet and when it makes a sound you have to check it because usually there is something there. used mostly in fresh water.
Good luck on your decision Jim
That's my experience too. I used a 2 spoke WOT for years until it failed. At the time, there wasn't a replacement due to a redesign issue with the newer multispoke WOT, so, I bought the NEL Attack coil. I find it more stable, pin points better, and is slightly bigger than the old WOT. I haven't compared it with the new WOT and hope to hear from other users of both.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread