Man fined for using metal hoe on beach. Associated Press

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
An Alabama youth minister was fined $25 for using a metal garden hoe to dig in the sand with his 7-year old son while on spring break in Panama City Beach Florida. The officer told them they could not use metal tools on the beach. The law was adopted after a rowdy 2015 spring break and was designed to protect against sexual assaults.

Bring a plastic scoop?

Tek

Upvote 0

ChuckT

Apr 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal hoes and sexual assaults? What the %$%€£ goes on around there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yeah I got a ticket once in my 61 vette when I was 19 for getting lippy (imagine that?)

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It says the police officer said you cant use metal tools on the beach...so no metal scoops...you missed a chapter of the story.

It says the guy refused to do what the police officer requested and that po'd the cop so he wrote him up.

Kansas_Jayhawk

Mar 11, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 and Tesoro Silver uMicromax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An Alabama youth minister was fined $25 for using a metal garden hoe to dig in the sand with his 7-year old son while on spring break in Panama City Beach Florida. The officer told them they could not use metal tools on the beach. The law was adopted after a rowdy 2015 spring break and was designed to protect against sexual assaults.

Bring a plastic scoop?

Tek

Rule #1 respect the officer
Rule #2 be an example for you 7 year old son

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get brining a ho to the beach, but who brings a metal hoe to one?? :tongue3:

As for getting a ticket........well I don't blame the guy for asking about the new law, but why must people always argue with the cops?

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It says the guy refused to do what the police officer requested and that po'd the cop so he wrote him up.
Do you not see that it says there is a law that says no metal tools on the beach?

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may not get fined if you stop using it when asked but it looks like metal scoops along with any metal tools are banned.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not exactly a great example of a "youth minister" eh? ???

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still trying to figure out how banning metal tools at the beach is going to prevent sexual assaults? :dontknow: What, a rapist is not going to worry about breaking rape laws, but, is worried about a minor infraction banning metal tools? The logic there escapes me.:icon_scratch:

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I agree with Tom. If he stopped using the Hoe and filled in the hole he'd probably been OK. Maybe the cop was a bit sensitive to the new law because of spring break.
Florida gets crazy, I hear. I'm sure after the college kids leave, everything will be OK

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still trying to figure out how banning metal tools at the beach is going to prevent sexual assaults? :dontknow: What, a rapist is not going to worry about breaking rape laws, but, is worried about a minor infraction banning metal tools? The logic there escapes me.:icon_scratch:
I don't understand the connection between metal tools and sexual assault either.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got stupid by requesting a cite of the law ?
Do you care to clarify or are you proposing that when told to jump by a man with a badge, one should only ask "how high" ?

He didn't STOP after he demanded the officer cite the law. He then REFUSED to fill in his holes. The guy was obviously an idiot. :skullflag:

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoes on the beach.LOL

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So he used a hoe and didn't fill the hole. Now that's even funnier.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
You may not get fined if you stop using it when asked but it looks like metal scoops along with any metal tools are banned.

lookindown, I have a link to a guy who got a ticket for eating a hamburger while driving. The cop called it "distracted driving" or some such nonsense. THE POINT IS: That "flukes" (over-zealous cops in fluke incidents) will always most certainly be in the news. But the question here is: Is this really something to worry about for us md'rs with our (gasp) metal scoops ? I doubt it. No more so than you'd worry and stop eating while driving if I showed you my cop + hamburger ticket story.

Example: There was a city in So. CA , that fronts the beach (hence has a small stretch of municipal beach), that enacted a law decades ago that forbade "digging holes" on the beach. The law was because some college kids, going out for late night keg parties, would dig enormous pits for their bonfires. Or to goof off or whatever. They would not fill in these giant pits. Also kids digging tunnels have been known to have the tunnels collapse and some kids have suffocated. Hence the law. And the law made no distinction on the size of the digs. But SERIOUSLY now : Do you *really* think such laws were meant for md'rs ? OF COURSE NOT. Nonetheless, it's the "letter of the law", eh ?

So too do I believe that if someone went out to these Alabama beaches and had a metal sandscoop, he'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who cares less. Sometimes md'rs can over-think things.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread