PI advice, from an Excal 2 user

SweetCorn

Oct 2, 2016
East Bay, CA
Detector(s) used
Excal 2, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The title is misleading... I need PI advice!! I'm not giving it.

I have only been Mding for about 9 months, but I manage to hunt 10-15 hours a week, sometimes more. I've learned a lot about saltwater beaches.
I've learned to read them and that the more you visit them in both good and bad days, the more you can learn about them.

I've been curious about PI detectors for awhile, but my Excal has done a sufficient job for me thus far. However, the summer beaches are getting fatter and fatter with more and more sand and the number of hunters is increasing as well and lots of them have the same machine I have. I need an edge, or I just need an excuse to get another machine :laughing7:

I've read that PI machines are more niche machines than everyday machines. Although some people certainly use them everyday. I get the feeling that the niche where this type of machine fits is starting to come into play where I hunt. I feel like I need maximum depth and great sensitivity. I realize I will dig more trash. I dig trash now, bottlecaps, pulltabs, foil, copper, aluminum blobs, foil drink caps, etc. And I'll dig deep trash too.

Maybe getting a PI machine will be a terrible idea and I'll go running back to my Excal, but I think I'm about ready to pull the trigger.

Am currently leaning towards these 2 models: Tesoro Sand Shark, Whites Surfmaster PI Dual Field. The Tesoro has a lifetime warranty and allows for multiple setups and the price is great. The Dual Field seems like a popular model that has definitely found some good stuff. I've never owned either brand, have an Excal and an At Pro right now. Are there other options I should be looking at? Any pros/cons with either of these units?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread