Whites surf PI pro?

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Upvote 0

seas1to2

May 17, 2006
fl
Re: White's surf PI pro?

I would only use a pi in the saltwater.They will hit on every tiny piece of iron an iron will last a long time in freshwater.I believe it will drive you nuts.You need a unit that will block out the iron....tigershark,beachhunterID,fisher1280x,etc.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Seas1to2 said it best. In freshwater the hairpins will last many years and bread wraping wires too. For freshwater the PI is not the detector to even think about. At the price you can get it for, do it. Even if it needs some repair it is a saving and would be nice for the deep sands at the coast. Excal has fantastic iron ignore and is almost as deep as a PI.

You can never have to many detectors. ;D

OP
OP
John (Ma)

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used

Thanks for the reply seas, any other opinions, experiences, etc. out there?

OP
OP
John (Ma)

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used

Thanks for your reply Sandman. I do like the excal, but with the amount of times I would use it, I have a hard time parting with the money if I can find something that will do a good job under those conditions. Hunting land with my DFX will still be my primary hunting.

But who knows, since I have not been beach hunting, after a time or two, I may get a passion for it as I have for detecting in general. At that point there would be no doubt the excal is the one. Thanks

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,

With today's new machines, the Excal would be the best for freshwater, I've had great success with the 1280-X but the Excal will go deeper and ignore iron, something you really want to do in freshwater. My friend just bought the excal after my prodding, he's found 4 gold in his first 2 times out now. Good luck. Oh yeah, yes they're expensive but worth it, it'll pay for itself in no time if you use it.

OP
OP
John (Ma)

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used

Thanks for the reply finder, I am trying to figure out if its possible to get the money for an excal. Maybe I will get it for Christmas! LOL yeah right!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I used to be a land hunter in the parks, woods, old house property and old farms. Due to trouble bending down on the ground to get the targets, I moved to the water and diving. I am in my element now and the eye candy isn't bad either. No mosquitoes either.

OP
OP
John (Ma)

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used

LOL, you have a point there Sandman!

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,

Also keep watching the classifieds here or ebay. Maybe you could trade someone for one also. Never know.

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x

Wow great info since I live inland I'm thinking of getting rid of the seahunter and going with discremenation (at least a iorn eliminator)

badbrains

Apr 24, 2007
Detector(s) used
surfmaster pi pro

funny this post just popped up. Just purchased the PI pro for $500 for shallow salt water. took her out for a spin today on the sand to try her out. pulled out 2 cans 2 bottle tops 1/2 brick (huh?)1 lead weight 1 penny and 1 quarter. unless your ready to dig evrything up its good. its super sensitive. I would get me a gold only machine for these areas. to me its the only thing worth digging up for all the effort. Cant wait to try it out in the water. Hopefully i can upgrade to an excal with the proceeds from this unit.

best of luck

MoTwister

Apr 27, 2007
Joplin, MO
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Turbo, Fisher 1280-X, Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

I just got back from Florida and I did alot of digging on the beach and the PI is sensitive. I dug a fish hook at 8 inches, yes 8 inches and it was a small hook, the kind that we use to catch sunfish here in Missouri and the occasional coin. Since I was looking on a Spanish shipwreck beach I was willing to dig anything. The guy who hunts the beach all the time he uses an older Fisher land maching and digs everything, but he stays away from the water so little mineral interference. And yes he has a nice pile of 1/2 and 1 reales from this beach. For me I found modern clad change only and dug some impressive holes in the searing Florida sun. The machine will be for sale and will be listed on ebay next week. I bought it for this trip to Florida.

coin_diver

Oct 3, 2003
Syracuse, ny
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, xl500 (27 yrs) XLT (17 yrs)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Hi Lost,
Well, I have to assume that since you are going into the water it is to find gold, bottom line. Why then would you want to discriminate ANYTHING? I've been at this for decades and watched my friend's faces when they see my finds. Here it is simple, buy a pulse, learn to use it and understand what iron sounds like. Dig the iron nail, get it out of the way and keep going. I will tell you that a pulse makes different sounds on iron, coins and rings. My Garrett xl500 has never been down in 15 years, pretty good return on investment. I'd buy 5 more if I could.
Oh yea, I hunt freshwater.
The only downfall to a pulse is that it sees gold chains as individual links but you can still find them. And stay away from "land and sea" as no machine does eveything well.

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6-CZ20-Whites surf PI

Hi Sea:

I have been water hunting since the 70,s and I started with my own machine. Used a tr machine and put it in a plexiglass case. I mainly use a CZ20 but in clean areas I use a Whites surf PI. The PI really gets good dept and that is what you need in most areas. I hunt surf beaches all over the world and most of the time the good stuff is deep. The CZ20 gets pretty good depth and if you run the disc. at zero you here the iron and everything. You will get used to all the tones and be able to pick out the gold. (and the tabs) The CZ20 is hard to find now but the CZ21 is slated to be out the first part of sept. I am a dyed in the wool CZ man but I have tried about every water machine that has been made. Good luck.

Les

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread