another destroyed beach

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well, forget Martin county Florida beaches...they are"renourishing" them with crap ground up and pumped from a site offshore.? This includes Jupiter Island apparently, the wealthiest enclave in the US.? According to the local paper, both projects have partially buried some of the onshore and nearshore reefs. For us, any valuable or historically significant artifacts are lost forever or destroyed by the process.? All this under the watchful eye of county engineering (the head of which is an FIT oceanography graduate) and a vocal environmentalist on Jupiter Island who also has a financial interest in the island.? Can you say hypocrite??

Upvote 0

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
Hey Bill, it may take some time, but with all the hurricanes we get (or near misses), and winter nor'easters it shouldn't take to long for the beaches to be eroded again. I remember when they dredged the ocean to replineshed our beach, about 50-60 miles south of you, it was messed up for about 5 yrs. I think it really depends on the storm/surf situation.
I also wonder if when they dredge the sand from out in the ocean, if any coins or gold come onto the beach? Something to think positive about anyway 8)

OP
OP
B

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Interesting you should say that surfrat..that's exactly what happened at Jupiter inlet. There is a shipwreck on the south side, and apparently they dredged across the debris field, depositing coins (chewed up) on the beach. As an aside, some areas are bulldozing sand from the beach up onto the dune line. I'm sure some interesting stuff has been redeposited there. My theory is..this alien material in the dune line will behave differently than the wind driven fines that usually compose a dune. With time the fines will erode leaving the coarse material exposed. Stuff like coins will actually rise to the surface rather that settle as is normal. Consider the mechanics that move sand..the coarser it is, the harder it is to move. Slight wind moves fine sand...a raging stream will move boulders. Discussion??

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
Rod, Good videos of the dredging! Have you detected around the area at all to see if any thing has been pumped in from out in the ocean?

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
Another idea is to find out where they took the sand from offshore and break out the u/w detector and scuba gear in that area. They may have uncovered something out there?
xXx

sherpa t

Jan 25, 2005
Ocala florida
Detector(s) used
Titan / Tesoro SLT/ Fisher F5
My feelings are not JUST the re nourishing but also the topic's we've discussed here over the last few months have greatly influenced my efforts not to hunt the area. ( Access - no parking - closed area's , yet local police at coin show with coins, trash , and the nasty ground up shells called sand ... ) Bill has had parking tickets , Rod posted he felt the trip down was a waste , I would normally drive down stay over night , buy a few meals etc. but do not feel the local govt. wants my money, so I'll drive it over to the Daytona area instead. Do I like Spanish coins .. YES !!! , but do I feel like I'm giving up a great opportunity right now ?? No, A few coin finds were posted ( under 10) a bit back and I thought about trying again, got a little momentum , but over the next few days the posts with no access - parking - trash took that little shine off because I know I'll experience the same hassles.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread