DFX to Excal 1000 just had to try it

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
Well the DFX worked great for many years but the salt spray has finally taken its toll. I have been using the Whites M6 for months now but I am ready to move on. I just ordered the Excal. 1000. I hear good things about these detectors and wanted to find out first hand. Being that this unit is sealed I shouldn’t have a problem with the salt spray any more. Also the 17 frequencies sounded good. I will defiantly miss looking at the vdi readings though.
I should have it in a few days. Get out of my way the sand will be flying. I feel good about this one.
Hope its good as they say it is.

Dale

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People complain that it is hard to learn when it couldn't be easier.

Schrecky

Mar 14, 2006
NW, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dale, I've been using the DFX a lot for the last two years and just got a Excalibur 1000 two weeks ago. If you haven't used one before you are in for a surprise.

The Excalibur does go deep and is waterproof.

You are really going to miss DFX features like; light weight, VDI, Signagraph, excellent tone ID, being able to easily switch coils, being able to check your battery level, ratcheting your pinpointing and being able to pick your operating frequency's.

One thing I thought was really annoying is that when you pass the coil of the Excal over an iron target the threshold nulls and then comes back with a LOUD low buzz. The buss does not go away unless you reset it by moving the coil near your scoop, switching to pinpoint and back to Disc, or when you pass the coil over some other target. I've asked a lot of Excal users and Minelab if this is normal and they all assure me that it is, "get use to it". It isn't a real be problem on a beach that doesn't have a lot of iron but on one that does, like the ones I hunt, or at most inland locations it is pretty tuff to get use to the loud buzz.

I agree it is a great machine and if I hadn't cut my teeth on the DFX I wouldn't miss it's features. I feel like I'm learning to bake bread from scratch instead of using a bread machine.

Today I found a gold ring with the Excal in the water at the beach, my first gold ring using the Excal. I think it is going to do a good job at what it was designed to do and using it will be a good learning experience.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Schrecky,

What setting do you have your sensitivity set at when you have this problem? I don't seem to have that problem as much when I have the sensitivity set between 11-1, which is where I normally set it when I beach hunt. (salt water beaches)

OP
OP
Dirt Fishin Dale

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
Thanks for the comments. I do like new toys. And yes I am one of those that read the directions afterward; it makes something’s new again. ;D
I will eventually get the DFX fixed but wanted something different for a change. If the Excal is as good as some people say, the poor DFX might sit awhile.

Dale

rob2646

Greenie
May 1, 2007
I just went out this week with my new excal...your DFX is going to sit a very long while....theres a reason its so popular, my only regret, not getting one sooner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread