the death of beach hunting as we know it -- new bill july 1st 2018

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well folks the politicians of Florida stuck a knife in our back ...as well as the general public at large ... as of July 1st of 2018 because of a new law they signed ... the days of "free range" walking on the beaches are soon to be a thing of the past ..no more sunset walks ..beach combing ..metal detecting ..looking for sharks teeth ..and so on ...because all of the dry beach in front of homes or hotels will now be "part of the beach front land owner's" property ...only the wet sand will now be open to the public at large (now how the pubic at large is supposed to get to that wet sand without crossing the dry sand is something no one has addressed as far as I know) -- I say it now time to "push back" ...if the beach is now "private land" then no more "public funds" are to spent on its upkeep / renourishment from storm damage -- now that its "their land" -- they alone can foot the bill for "their private beach"

Upvote 0

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well folks the politicians of Florida stuck a knife in our back ...as well as the general public at large ... as of July 1st of 2018 because of a new law they signed ... the days of "free range" walking on the beaches are soon to be a thing of the past ..no more sunset walks ..beach combing ..metal detecting ..looking for sharks teeth ..and so on ...because all of the dry beach in front of homes or hotels will now be "part of the beach front land owner's" property ...only the wet sand will now be open to the public at large (now how the pubic at large is supposed to get to that wet sand without crossing the dry sand is something no one has addressed as far as I know) -- I say it now time to "push back" ...if the beach is now "private land" then no more "public funds" are to spent on its upkeep / renourishment from storm damage -- now that its "their land" -- they alone can foot the bill for "their private beach"

They’re doing that on the water ways in Louisiana. No finging signs all over they’re even selling the marsh wetland to bid companies so the can hunt. Crazy

I would die if they said no more detecting anywhere

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
think about it, this could be a good thing for MD's. all the people have to go to Public beaches now. More people more gold and coins.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with IVAN, don't know what else to say, it just gets better and better.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
In CT, the demarcation line for private ownership along the coast is the land above the mean high-tide line. As you can imagine, with crowded beachfronts like we have here, beach rights have been a serious issue since colonial times when the fight was about digging shellfish, launching boats, etc. As for the 99.5% of us who could never afford beachfront property, take solace in the fact that in a few hundred years, their property will be under water due to the rising levels of the oceans.

As an aside, my house is already under water but not the same thing:BangHead: and I'm nowhere near the coast!
HH
dts

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet I will cross that dry sand and I bet ill tell anyone who says I cant where to go and I bet if I get arrested for it you will see me in the paper and in court cause I aint gonna go peacefully. We will see how much they enforce that law. Some woman came marching up on me talking crap the other day and by the time I got done with her I thought she might cry. I made her apologize and she put her little tail between her legs and barley escaped without a beating. She called the cops and they came out and told her it was just bart hes here all the time. Why are you harassing him when hes on a public beach a 1/4 mile from your house. She had no answer and now I push the limit right up to her yard. I would have never got that close out of pure respect. Now I love to get right up close where I can see her frowning out her window at me. I love to mess up her million dollar morning views. This dumb touron (tourist and moron) actually thought I had some high tech turtle egg device for robbing turtle nests, haaaaa haaa !!! That million dollar view she paid for and I cant helpthink that she hates the fact that its free for me !!! Ill walk the wet sand 4 miles to get to the wet sand I want to detect. All this blustery net talk aside, I will test this law !!

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about actually doing something useful by creating and enforcing laws against Littering! We're out there picking up the trash from these morons and we're the bad guys!

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats next. No metal detecting INSIDE your home ?

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres what I get from the law. I live in a state park and border 2 national parks. I love hunting antique bottles, but if that bottle is over 50 years old it is considered an artifact. So when they give me ship, I tell them im cleaning up dangerous glass pollution. My ranger buddy told me that im not bottle hunting your cleaning up glass, your not beach combing your bird watching. He said that if you go to the ranger office and tell them your beach combing you will not be issued a back country permit but if you tell them your bird watching you will be granted a pass that allows access to all state and DEP lands. I once got busted with a piece of drift wood. I told the ranger that its perfectly legal dimensional lumber drift wood. I said this is not a naturally occurring piece of driftwood, this is cut lumber that has been in the sea. (Trash). He said thats fine , but look carefully at your piece and tell me what you see. There was an endangered key largo tree snail clinging to the board. He was cool and we let the snail go, and I went on my way. He said bart if I wanted to mess with you I could arrest you for trafficking in endangered species. Ive known this guy since high school and were tight and right. He did say he knew of 2 seperate co workers who would have hauled me off in cuffs and presented that snail in court.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They’re doing that on the water ways in Louisiana. No finging signs all over they’re even selling the marsh wetland to bid companies so the can hunt. Crazy

I would die if they said no more detecting anywhere

You could always detect in the politicians back pockets ...........................

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question.....So under this new law, if your renting a oceanfront home (and its property goes to the ocean) can you hunt that property ?

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
I bet I will cross that dry sand and I bet ill tell anyone who says I cant where to go and I bet if I get arrested for it you will see me in the paper and in court cause I aint gonna go peacefully. We will see how much they enforce that law. Some woman came marching up on me talking crap the other day and by the time I got done with her I thought she might cry. I made her apologize and she put her little tail between her legs and barley escaped without a beating. She called the cops and they came out and told her it was just bart hes here all the time. Why are you harassing him when hes on a public beach a 1/4 mile from your house. She had no answer and now I push the limit right up to her yard. I would have never got that close out of pure respect. Now I love to get right up close where I can see her frowning out her window at me. I love to mess up her million dollar morning views. This dumb touron (tourist and moron) actually thought I had some high tech turtle egg device for robbing turtle nests, haaaaa haaa !!! That million dollar view she paid for and I cant helpthink that she hates the fact that its free for me !!! Ill walk the wet sand 4 miles to get to the wet sand I want to detect. All this blustery net talk aside, I will test this law !!

Usually with politics, especially in corrupt one party states, there is something nasty motivating it.
What do the landowners get out of it?
Probably, the politicians were bribed to give this freebie, while still being responsible for upkeep.
So far as access goes, you have the same situation as any business, Even if its private property, its considered an open invitation to enter. Any business can make rules, but they must apply consistently, to all.
So, the hotels and their beaches should look the same. I don't see them putting up fences, and gates with guards. But, individual hotels may, or may not ban detecting.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are way too many "beach front" property owner issues,
all throughout this state, it seems one should not be broad-brush painting,
when it comes to the entire coastline.

After r scotts signing (the one BEFORE this one), I'm having real issues
in determining his (and others) motivations.
I've found calls and emails to be extremely, un-effective....... >:(

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
uh Scott is termed out as governor of Florida --thus he is looking at a senate run -- and needs deep pocket donors ---like rich waterfront land owners who want total control of the land all the way to the legal water line (wet sand area) to keep what they view as the local beach loving riff raff as well as any spring breaker / tourist types off of "their beach" ---and as far as ....what do the rich land owners get out of this? simple its called...."control" over what others get to do or not do .. the haves always want control over the have nots nothing new there...

what the dear governor does not seem to understand is this ...the rich 1 % few may give you money to run with --but its the poor 99 % non beach front property owning bulk of the population that enjoys the beach that you just screwed ...the exact folks whos votes you need to get elected ...good luck on that now rick scott

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about actually doing something useful by creating and enforcing laws against Littering! We're out there picking up the trash from these morons and we're the bad guys!

UP HERE IN MA. WHEN THEY TRIED STOPPING BEACH DETECTING - MYSELF AND OTHERS SENT MANY PICS OF TRASH AND DANGEROUS ITEMS WE REMOVED ALONG WITH PICS OF RETURNS
FLA. HUNTERS SHOULD DO THE SAME - BOMBARD THE POLITICIANS WITH PICS OF THE GOOD YOU DO AND THE BAD STUFF YOU TAKE OUT - IT WORKED FOR US = FOR NOW
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/members/29748-albums4911.html

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard Rick Scott owns beach front property in Ft. Lauderdale.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard Rick Scott owns beach front property in Ft. Lauderdale.
Sounds like a perfect beach location for about 100 of us mdr's to meet and talk about it !!!

Wiganer

Jan 30, 2017
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Whites dual field beast, with Anderson shaft.
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
We have some similar crap rules up here in nova Scotia Canada. If I'm hunting looking for modern coins, then I'm good, but if I'm looking for the old stuff, then i need a permit. If I accidentally find an old item it must be surrendered.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Not exactly, private property starts are the mean high tide line which is well beyond the wet sand.

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
yes we do the public good -- once at a tot lot area in Fernadina Beach I was detecting by a slide area (a great place to find coins and now and then a bit of gold jewelry as the little urchins reaching up for mommy at the foot of the slide pull at their gold chains popping them) once a young mom came up in a huffy tone --WHY ARE YOU DOING THAT HERE ? -- I had just hit a signal at the foot of the slide as she arrived --so I got it --and showed her the nice big chunk of razor knife blade that it was ...and replied ---just protecting your children and others from danger madam....gee did her mood towards me change like flipping a light switch

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread