the death of beach hunting as we know it -- new bill july 1st 2018

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well folks the politicians of Florida stuck a knife in our back ...as well as the general public at large ... as of July 1st of 2018 because of a new law they signed ... the days of "free range" walking on the beaches are soon to be a thing of the past ..no more sunset walks ..beach combing ..metal detecting ..looking for sharks teeth ..and so on ...because all of the dry beach in front of homes or hotels will now be "part of the beach front land owner's" property ...only the wet sand will now be open to the public at large (now how the pubic at large is supposed to get to that wet sand without crossing the dry sand is something no one has addressed as far as I know) -- I say it now time to "push back" ...if the beach is now "private land" then no more "public funds" are to spent on its upkeep / renourishment from storm damage -- now that its "their land" -- they alone can foot the bill for "their private beach"

Upvote 0

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want it.......you gotta go. Ive won sometimes and ive lost sometimes, but I never gave up. You get told one thing and leave and you come back the next time and strangers are bringing me gingrale on the rocks becuse I looked hot and thirsty to them !! I love the hobby either way and just keep going. Ive had more people be positive than negative when doing my own thing. Now if you want to butt heads with real sharks (state officials) that bite try and do some legal underwater salvaging for treasure through the state with permits. I call them dream busters.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a website if you want to bend the ears of your representative:

DEMOCRACY.IO

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes and No. At least in our state of Kalifornication. According to what I've read, it's private property from the mean high tide line and above, based on the previous 10 year average of tides. So, in other words, it will change slightly every year. That line would have to be determined by a surveyor with that sort of knowledge, and it would be void in short order and a new survey would have to be taken to remain current. Also, very interestingly, if any "improvements" have been made (say a retaining wall, ripwrap, or other erosion control measures), that mean high tide line is null and void, as the "natural" location of that line has been thwarted. A computation as to where the line SHOULD be had the "improvements not been made, is now required. Probably megabucks to determine that......or some serious bribes anyway! I'm not sure this applies nationwide or just us, but, something to ponder in Fl. Are all those dunes along the treasure coast "natural"? :dontknow:

Actually I forgot about that. Once they build it out, it's their property. There are several condos like this where they have built a seawall and all that area is now theirs.

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never heard anything about this until a few days ago on TV...I bet lots of property owners don't even know about it...what if they didn't want the added property because their taxes would go up?...that would be a rare instance but how do you give someone property with out them even knowing?...this is wrong on a whole lot of levels.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You are right Blak bart, some of these people just need to be put in check "Some woman came marching up on me talking crap the other day"! Minding their own business has never occurred to them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread