-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
St. Pete's Beach September 1, 2007

We arrived at the St. Pete's Public Beach access late afternoon and proceeded to open the trunk and prepare the gear. An English Gentleman came running up to me asking where nearest phone is. His 11 year old daughter had been stung by a jellyfish. I called 911 on my cell and within 5 minutes, the paramedics arrived and examined the girl. She had a welt on her leg the size of a softball. >:(

When me wife heard and saw the co motion, she looked at me with eyes as big as golf balls and exclaimed, " I'm not getting in the water" :D

No rings, nothing found of significant value, just some trash and coins. I did find a fishin swivel with the excal 1000. Now that's a pretty tiny target. ;D

We left St. Pete's to take in our last sunset at Sand Key Park, just south of Clearwater Beach. ;)

Attachments

• jellyfish sting-St Pete\'s Beach 9.1.7.JPG
    jellyfish sting-St Pete\'s Beach 9.1.7.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 593
  • St. Pete\'s Beach 9.1.7.JPG
    St. Pete\'s Beach 9.1.7.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 577
  • St. Pete\'s Beach 9.1.7..JPG
    St. Pete\'s Beach 9.1.7..JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 579
  • St. Pete\'s Beach fishin swivel 9.2.7.JPG
    St. Pete\'s Beach fishin swivel 9.2.7.JPG
    8.5 KB · Views: 570
  • St. Pete\'s Beach 9.1.07.JPG
    St. Pete\'s Beach 9.1.07.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 582
  • Sand Key Park, FL 09.1.7.JPG
    Sand Key Park, FL 09.1.7.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 584
  • Sand Key Park, FL 09.01.7.JPG
    Sand Key Park, FL 09.01.7.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 575
  • Sand Key Park, FL 9.1.7..JPG
    Sand Key Park, FL 9.1.7..JPG
    20 KB · Views: 569
Upvote 0

gold-digger

Jul 4, 2006
Gulf Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excals & Quattro
Primary Interest:
I pulled out a Jelly that filled my scoop. Dumped it in the Lifeguard trash.

Easily the size of a dinner plate. Didn't want to take any chances, wife being allergic to other stingers.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: St. Pete's Beach September 1, 2007

That sucks!!!

So, I know this is really weird and a little random... but did you and your wife happen to be out at St. Pete Beach today (Sunday) detecting? My father called me (I go to college in Missouri) and told me he was out behind my brother & sister-in-law's old condo and he saw two people, a guy & a lady, detecting. He also said they had their detectors "way out into the water" and aluminum "scoop things", and I noticed you all have water detectors and long-handled aluminum scoops in your pic... then he proceeded to tell me how easy it would be for us to make one for me. lol! I told him that he needs to stop sitting there staring and giving me step by step detail of what those people were doing and finding. I told him that there's a good possibility that they're T-Net members and I might hear about some weird guy watching them and talking to someone on his cell phone about everything they're finding. Anyway, I'm gonna laugh hard if you all are those people. Heh!!!

I also noticed you're from Missouri? Where at? Well, hope you have a great day down there!!

Bran <><

OP
OP
-Jones-

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

godisnum1 said:
That sucks!!!

So, I know this is really weird and a little random... but did you and your wife happen to be out at St. Pete Beach today (Sunday) detecting? My father called me (I go to college in Missouri) and told me he was out behind my brother & sister-in-law's old condo and he saw two people, a guy & a lady, detecting. He also said they had their detectors "way out into the water" and aluminum "scoop things", and I noticed you all have water detectors and long-handled aluminum scoops in your pic... then he proceeded to tell me how easy it would be for us to make one for me. lol! I told him that he needs to stop sitting there staring and giving me step by step detail of what those people were doing and finding. I told him that there's a good possibility that they're T-Net members and I might hear about some weird guy watching them and talking to someone on his cell phone about everything they're finding. Anyway, I'm gonna laugh hard if you all are those people. Heh!!!

I also noticed you're from Missouri? Where at? Well, hope you have a great day down there!!

Bran <><

godis,

we were on St. Pete's Beach Sunday, September 2, from about 7a to 10a. And I was chest deep in water and trackin dry sand...... ;D

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool, well maybe it wasn't you... this happened today. But it was funny, none the less, to see two people on the exact beach that my parents was on. Good times! Later!

Bran <><

ScrewcapRoy

Jun 14, 2007
Weymouth Mass
Detector(s) used
Whites M6

Nice pictures you have been posting on your vacation. Good thing you had your cell phone to help that little girl. You can tell she was in a lot of pain, nasty stings. I don't blame you wife for not getting in the water I would have probably stayed out and just beach hunted also. Sorry you didn't find much but I would have rather changed places with you, my office still looks the same and yours looks better.
HH Roy

Schrecky

Mar 14, 2006
NW, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice pictures, makes me sad to think that "beach season" has ended here in NW Pa for the year.

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:

:) Consider adding some cotton coveralls and a pair of reef boots to your water detecting apparel. Then when the jellyfish are apparent, you can slip on the coveralls and reef boots and hunt in total safety. ;) I've used this method for years with no ill effects. I get a lot of weird looks from all the bathers. I usually wore a light blue so it blended in the water. I had Sand sharks that swam by and never gave me a hint of notice. And the gear costs are minimal. ;D

OP
OP
-Jones-

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

FLauthor said:
:) Consider adding some cotton coveralls and a pair of reef boots to your water detecting apparel. Then when the jellyfish are apparent, you can slip on the coveralls and reef boots and hunt in total safety. ;) I've used this method for years with no ill effects. I get a lot of weird looks from all the bathers. I usually wore a light blue so it blended in the water. I had Sand sharks that swam by and never gave me a hint of notice. And the gear costs are minimal. ;D

FLauthor,

Thanks for the tip. ;)

And who cares about weird looks. :D

I know I don't. ;)

Skifisher

Apr 17, 2007
Anaheim, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX

DAVY JONES said:
FLauthor said:

FLauthor,

Thanks for the tip. ;)

And who cares about weird looks. :D

I know I don't. ;)

Better safe than sorry, my daughter already thinks I'm a geek for MD'ing anyhow!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread