Old gold ring

jmartins413

Jan 1, 2018
Chicopee MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this 14k gold ring down in Rhode Island this past weekend. I brought it to a couple of jewelry stores and they both confirmed that all 9 diamonds are real. One jewelry store said it looks vintage, maybe 1940s. The other store said it could be as old as the 1880s.

I just wanted to know if anyone here has any idea about how old this ring may be and what style it is.

Screenshot_20180716-223904.png

Any information is helpful!

Upvote 0

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job with the AT Pro. Beautiful gold ring. Congrats

Digger_O'Dell

May 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have a pic of the 14K stamp? They had different styles over the years. If it's in a rectangular box, then probably pre 1920s.

OP
OP
jmartins413

jmartins413

Jan 1, 2018
Chicopee MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have a pic of the 14K stamp? They had different styles over the years. If it's in a rectangular box, then probably pre 1920s.
It doesn't have any marking on it, the only way that I know its 14k is because the jewelry store tested it.

Digger_O'Dell

May 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't have any marking on it, the only way that I know its 14k is because the jewelry store tested it.
No markings mean either pre 1900 or it was not commercially made. Another way to get an idea us the cut of the diamonds. In the 1800s they were cut in a different style. Think it's an old world European style? Remember being told about it from a jeweler long ago when I got a ring appraised.

OP
OP
jmartins413

jmartins413

Jan 1, 2018
Chicopee MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No markings mean either pre 1900 or it was not commercially made. Another way to get an idea us the cut of the diamonds. In the 1800s they were cut in a different style. Think it's an old world European style? Remember being told about it from a jeweler long ago when I got a ring appraised.
The jewelry store said the diamonds are all old mine cut diamonds, i don't what what that means though.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Stunning!!

I would say Victorian, late 1800's or possibly Edwardian, that would date it early 1900 to 1916, I think.
Anything before 1906 did not have to be marked but JLA kicked in 1906/1907, from then on it was a law, it was illegal to sell gold or silver unmarked.

OP
OP
jmartins413

jmartins413

Jan 1, 2018
Chicopee MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say Victorian, late 1800's or possibly Edwardian, that would date it early 1900 to 1916, I think.
Anything before 1906 did not have to be marked but JLA kicked in 1906/1907, from then on it was a law, it was illegal to sell gold or silver unmarked.
Thanks for the info, what does JLA mean?

Digger_O'Dell

May 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure about mine cut stones, but certain areas are known for top quality cutting such as Israel. But before that it was local craftsmen. I get the feeling the stones at least may be much older than the jewelers think. The ring itself gives the impression of Medieval styling with a Celtic cross of the main stones, but that's subjective of course.
The jewelry store said the diamonds are all old mine cut diamonds, i don't what what that means though.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Jewelers Liability Act of 1906

Miners cut had less facets I believe.

Had to look that up......

What is a miners cut diamond? A miners cut is a type of diamond cut common in antique jewelry dating back to the 1830s. Many Georgian, Victorian and Edwardian style engagement rings feature this type of cut because it was a popular 19th century jewelry design. The original old mine cut diamonds have a rich history that reflects the history of the diamond jewelry trade.

Learn something new everyday..

[h=2]History of the Miner Cut Diamond[/h]The proper name of the miner cut is old mine cut. The original old mine cut diamonds of the 19th century were referred to by this name because the jewels came from the old diamond mines in India rather than South Africa, which dominates the diamond industry today.
In the 19th century, artisans shaped each miners cut diamond by hand. All diamonds remained hand-cut until the early 1900's. Due to the handcraftsmanship, each diamond was unique and no two cuts were identical, unlike today's diamonds which undergo machine-assisted cutting processes.

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find!!!
I was born in Chicopee
Excellent-tgreat-awesome-f-Stock-Photo.jpg

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Excellent TREASURE you found, congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the beautiful ring! :occasion14:

Sleepy

Jan 20, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX White's Spectrum XLT, 2 Fisher CZ21's, 2 Tesoro Compadre's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find! Congratulations. If you have some basic knowledge of diamonds you can generally look at a diamond and see the difference in a modern brilliant cut compared to an old mine cut or European cut. There is a lot of similarity in an old mine cut diamond and a European cut and sometimes they are confused with each other but there are some slight differences in the crown and table as far as the degree of the angle of the cuts. You can find the detailed information online. I love old European cut and old mine cut diamonds. Something about them being more unique and of course the hand craftsmanship of them before all the modern equipment came along. The art of being able to make those cuts like they did amazes me and ranks high on the artistic scale similar to how watch makers hand built old pocket watches like the fusee types from the seventeen and eighteen centuries. Awesome find you have there!

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Musketeer, Tek G2, Omega and a Fisher ID Edge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beautifully crafted ring and IMO 1880's or earlier... Awesome find!

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find. I owned a pawn shop for over 20 years and have bought and sold thousands of diamonds. The center stone is mine cut. Look closely at the center of the stone. The black spot is not a black spot. It is where the point of the diamond was cut off flat and just looks black. This is the style of cut back in the day. Now they are called brilliant cut and they do not cut off the tip but leave it pointed. This is a beautiful ring and very old. Pre 1920's for sure. Great for you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread