Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think that you need a water proof detector for water hunting ( ocean beaches)? I have a water resistant detector that says just don't get the electronics wet. I could go out a couple of feet and be OK. The problem is I suspect that most good jewelry finds are in waist to chest deep water. I am thinking that a good water detector at a popular beach may pay for itself.

Ed Donovan

Upvote 0

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ed, having been hit by many a rouge wave while hunting waist deep, it would be my recommendation that you keep your detector up on the beach. You should be able to afford a good underwater detector with your beach finds (depending on the beach). Don?t risk lousing a good beach detector doing the job of an underwater detector.

HH

N

nutso

I agree. I went in ankle deep water with my XLT but thats it. I bought a fisher 1280x for the water this year. $600 new and about all I do is fresh water hunting. I have heard others say the 1280x is not the best for salt water. So wait for the replies before you buy.

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Maybe in a lake where there isn't as much wave action, but then you run the risk of tripping over a sunken log or old tire and ruining everything. I've been debating the same issue myself...

Dudes

twogunz

Apr 13, 2005
;D

I have been using a barracuda by Anchor Elctronics now for eight years. Digs deep and bites hard. gets trhe gold. problem now is, no web site info on them, no phone numbers. Anyone know if they went under?

F

Floater

Barracuda did go out of Business but I believe that a another company took some of the technology and they still offer repairs. The Excalibur is the way to go in my opinion or if you prefer the pulse technology go with the DetectorPro. Both units are good its just the fact that with the pulse technology you will get deeper but get more trash. I personally don't care but bought the Excalibur because I like to hunt on land as well. I dig it all so discrimination is always in the 1 position. NIL. Good Luck and HH

twogunz

Apr 13, 2005
Thanks fopr the quick reply. I have been looking at the excal with a 10 inch coil. I borrowed one recently and I like the silent operation. true the cuda caused alot of junk to be dug up, but when you got gold, it had been dowen ther for a long time.

Most of my finds came from deeper than 18 inches.

How does the excal stack up in terms of depth

F

Floater

Not sure about the depth of coins or gold but i will tell you I dug on land a rust rim from a can at 18 plus inches that sounded off like silver because of the rust and also dug a lead tire balance weight from around the same depth. I have not planted anything deeper than twelve inches on my test garden but i will now that you pose the question. Ill let you know tonight or tommorrow.HH

PhotoTJ

Apr 12, 2005
The Pacific Coast, Southern California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, GTI 2500, Sea Hunter II. I like Garrett!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a question I am most interested in, I am a serious diver, and would love to hear opinions on the best, reasonably priced full underwater detector. Salt resistant, as well.

Thanks,

TJ

F

Floater

PHotoT. I would do a lot of research but the Excalibur is considered to be one of the best.It is guarenteed too 200 feet. (Hope you got a license for that depth before ya go.)Good Luck.HH and pics

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure if there is anything that could be considered reasonably priced when it comes to underwater detectors. However, I must chime in with support for the Minelab Excalibur 1000. I have read that some folks actually prefer the 800 for diving. My experience has only been with the 10? coil, and skimming the bottom, I found that any resistance to swinging the detector is negligible at best.
I have been diving with my detector with both the standard shaft, and the shorter dive shaft, and the shorter dive shaft is the way to go.
Additionally, I have modified my detector with a safety strap, so that I can let go of the detector for digging. Much of my diving is in 10-20 feet off of the East coast of Florida, and I am often in a lot of wave action. This requires that I anchor myself with my dive knife in my left hand or the next wave will move me away from my target (never to be found again). Letting go of the detector frees the right hand for digging, and ultimately recovery of the target (most of the time).

Hope that helps

Q

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing new of late, the powers that be are busy messing everything up with sand they are bringing in from god only knows where, rebuilding the dunes and beaches at a cost to tax payers of about 6 million dollars (that?s just from Cocoa Beach down to Patrick AFB). Then from the base to South towards Sebastian there are a hundred different projects going on with dump truck loads of sand rolling non-stop onto the beaches. It?s the same story down on the Treasure Coast, such a waste of money! Sea conditions this week are very bad for diving with the passing of this last front. We have lots of wind and high surf that is already eroding sand off of the beaches LOL. Me thinks Mother Nature is upset with the crap they are doing to the beaches. Well, in two weeks Turtle Nesting season starts and all the beach work must stop. Then we will sit back and watch all that money get dragged out to sea. Soon the ocean will calm, and the surface water temperature will continue to rise and vis will become outstanding once again. We will have to wait and see what this dive season has in store for us.

Q

T

trojan

Hello,

I am a new member and this is my first post.? My interest is in the underwater field of Metal detection and would like to get into snorkeling and diving for treasure (coins, rings etc) at the local lakes and rivers in my area.? The question is, what detector should I get ? something like the headhunter diver?? http://www.detectorpro.com/headhunter-diver.htm?
Will this detector also serve my purposes on land?? I hope this is the area to ask this question and if not please can you point me in the right direction.

Trojan

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trojan; welcome to the Forum! There are many good underwater detectors on the market today, and I would have to say that the vast majority of them will work on land as well as underwater. All my diving is done in salt water, and as I also live on the barrier island I spend plenty of time working the beaches also. For me and my requirements I chose the Excalibur 1000. Since you mentioned freshwater rivers and lakes, you may decide to go with a different machine. I would recommend that you visit http://www.kellycodetectors.com/indexmain.htm and follow the underwater detector link. They have a large selection of all kinds of detectors. I am sure that you will find one that meets your needs.

HH

Q

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
wreckdiver: I agree with you..the beach renourishment is anything but renourishment. Here in Martin county (motto: preserve our good nature) they are pumping garbage from offshore and calling it "sand". And the county engineer is from FIT in oceanography. I guess I finally found a worse student than myself. Material used to build a dune at the nuke plant actually washes away when it rains. Do ya think the turtles can actually dig/lay eggs in the stuff? I heard that Canaveral filled in with sand during the storms and had to be dredged to get ships out...any truth? All your sand for Cocoa Beach is trapped on the north side, btw.

Bill

N

nutso

Trojan: I bought a Fisher 1280x for my fresh water hunts. It's not as good in salt water though, but I'm a fresh water nutso. So far it's worked fine. Some say it won't find gold rings but those that say that are talking about salt water. I ran mine on max sensitivity and zero descrimination in fresh water and got very little of the chatter they mentioned in their reviews. Also found nickles which if I remember correctly is in the gold range. I'm sure they had to turn their sensitivity down in the salt water searches and would then miss the gold. I liked the guarantee with the Fisher. No matter how long you own it it will cost you a max of $25 plus shipping to get it fixed. The first year is free other than shipping. Everyone has their favorites, hopefully you find one thats right for your type of hunting and in your price range. Ck the guarantees though.

T

trojan

Thanks for the feed back guys. Give you guys some background on what I plan on doing. I am located in Victoria British Columbia CANADA

T

trojan

Thank you for the feed back guys.? I will provide you with some background on what I plan on doing and where.? Victoira BC Canada is where I am located and for anyone that has been here they will remember that we have many rivers (swimming holes galore) and lakes.? I have spent many hours outdoors and have not seen many peeps out MDing, so I believe that the areas or allot of them may be fairly unsearched.? There are also lots of Military areas that annexed public lands (old houses towns late 1800s and up) and the public has been kept out since they were appropriated, having access to these areas I believe they could be ripe with antiques, coins and probably lots of old brass (shell casings).?

That link for the underwater MD models was interesting and with my also being on the ocean the Excalibur model will fit my need because there are lots of old wharfs, docks and swimming holes from around the turn of the century in the area.? The historical society is rich with info on these area so I believe the only problem I am going to have is time, (wife, ex- wife etc).? Any tips on dealing with the wife...., should I get her one to, or do most wife hate MDing and do they just take all the jewelry?

Trojan

L

lookinmyeyes

Just wanted to say hello to wreckdiver, from another Brevard County resident.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Billinstuart; The eroded sand from Cocoa Beach and points southward did get moved up to the port during the hurricanes and the port authority had to dredge the channel in order to open the port. They dumped much of that into a holding aria they always use just off shore and have pumped that back onto the beaches. Now they are bringing in sand from someplace in northern Brevard County. God help the turtles this season!

Trojan; Just ask the wife if she would be interested in joining you and hook her up with a detector if she wants to come out and play, Oh yea! Give her all the jewelry regardless.

Lookinmyeyes; Welcome to the forum! It?s always good to meet another treasure hunter from the neighborhood.

Q

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread