Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Found this twisting gold ring (6.5g) back in April and because it wasn’t marked I couldn’t claim gold, although I had my suspicions. But wife liked the twist ring, regardless of composition, so she confiscated it and I hadn’t seen it since.

Twist ring.jpg

Recently, I purchased a gold testing kit that includes acids for testing 10, 14, 18, and 22k gold. The kit also tests for silver and platinum and included a scratch stone for testing.

Gold acid test.jpg

After experimenting with some of my various gold bands of different karat composition, I asked the wife if I could test the twist ring and she kindly let me have it for testing with the guarantee that my testing would not affect the ring. I tested the twist ring and it came up between 10 and 14k — I STRUCK GOLD! The gold twist ring makes #10 gold for the year.

With practice, I think I’ll be able to better identify karat composition of unmarked gold. Now that I think of it…I have plenty of questionable pieces of jewelry from past years to test, including 3 dental gold pieces with one very heavy grill. Wife says gold test kit is just one more “toy” in my metal detecting toy box… I couldn’t agree with her more.

Happy Hunting

Gold - 10
Silver - 35
Coins - 1696

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions