Treasure Coast beginner here

dross99_si

Tenderfoot
Jun 7, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone!
I moved to the Treasure Coast a year ago and frequent the beaches often. The thought of finding some real treasure is so intriguing and exciting I am thinking about purchasing my first metal detector and hitting the sand.
My question is: what would be a good first detector for me if I am going to concentrate on working the beach looking for the reales/cobs, gold and artifacts from the shipwrecks and such? I hear many of you raving about the Equinox 800 (and it looks awesome), but that model is a bit pricy for a novice like me.
What would you guys suggest?
Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

Earlafindit

Nov 19, 2009
Mid Atlantic Coast DE.
Detector(s) used
f75se,CTX3030, , Deus ,Excal blue 800 & 1000 , Manticore , TDI BeachHunter
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That's a tough question, the wright machine for down their i mean, hunted a total of 5 weeks ,2 different year's same month in May, hit all the wreck site's , the 1st year i used Excalibur Blue's 10 inch coil's, the last year i used a Surf Pi DF , dug deeper but picked up a lot of iron, finding 1715 Fleet item's is hard, everything is 3 foot plus under, since you live their you will have an edge, if your able to get out wright after a storm with big beach erosion, your best chance, i would also say winter time , is also a good time to hunt , in 5 week's 1 18k gold ring , 0 1715 fleet item's, a VLF Nox, is ok , but depth wise i would hunt with a PI, even though the iron will drive you nut's, the deeper the better on the Treasure Coast, i thought of moving their , but i didn't want to have to evacuate when every hurricane hit, and the summer's are a bit hot, when i took a dip at Melbourne beach, i always thought i was swimming with the shark's, i have a Chesapeake , and would be scared of him getting bit also, as he loves' the ocean, if you decide to hunt with a Equinox 800, you will need a few thing's extra a 300.00 15 inch coil, a after market shaft, water proof head phone's , that's about 550 to 600 more , i would go CTX 3030 and run the 17 inch coil, wait for the free 17 inch coil special , some times around Christmas , happy hunting, Earl

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone! I moved to the Treasure Coast a year ago...
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard dross99_si! Take a look at Forum: Florida for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
You'll find that it doesn't pay to go cheap on a detector that's headed for the salt water beaches. The EQX 800 or 600 will do the job and give you everything you need to successfully hunt those treasure coast beaches.

A cheap single frequency machine will drive you crazy with constant chatter unless you reduce the sensitivity to such an extent that depth suffers significantly. It will also be subject to severe water damage in most cases. Don't waste your money on any of them. You can get a new EQX 600 for $649...and if your military, active or veteran, there's a 15% discount from Minelab. If you're patient, you can find a used 800 or 600 for less.

Just the view from my foxhole...

Last edited:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id say the 600 is the hot ticket right now. Is it worth it ..... yes... price, warranty, and what it can do. Everyone raise their hand that bought a cheap detector........then found something..... NOW you need a better detector....and is possible on their 3rd lol. How many beach hunters can raise their hand and say their detector DIDNT pay for its self? Remember the saying ...... even a blind squirrel will find a nut. SOOO the big ones out there for you.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Northern Virginia :skullflag: Sorry I can’t be of much help with beach detectors but you came to the right place as there is a dearth of experts here:icon_thumleft:

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-net. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :hello:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
best of luck :treasurechest:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Equinox is great, but for a first detector that can be used on the beach, especially in dry sand, consider a Tesoro Mohave. On the wet sand, the high mineralization switch will help. New only about 250 and used about 150. Cheap fun and the model has a devoted following.

When you upgrade from the Mohave, you can keep it for a back-up and to loan to a friend to hunt with you.

OP
OP
D

dross99_si

Tenderfoot
Jun 7, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thanks to everyone for your help and support

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of us go back & forth between visual ID meters and the beep and dig tesoros and use both types. Others have more specific preferences. If you decide that you prefer a visual ID meter (VID), then another bargain detector used would be the White's M6. It also has a salt mode switch. I have never seen a negative comment about the M6 and yet, I have seen slightly used ones sell for around $200 (in the winter - the best time to buy a used metal detector, convertible, or boat...).

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 600 and I have no complaints! Well worth the money

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
My vote is for the Equinox 600. One find will pay for it. I started with a whites Prism 4. I now have 2 Excalibur and the 800 nox. Get the 600. You need a saltwater machine. You will need a good water sand scoop and water proof headphones. Have patience and watch the videos on YouTube. There is plenty to find on the treasurecoast. I know because I live here.

OP
OP
D

dross99_si

Tenderfoot
Jun 7, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My vote is for the Equinox 600. One find will pay for it. I started with a whites Prism 4. I now have 2 Excalibur and the 800 nox. Get the 600. You need a saltwater machine. You will need a good water sand scoop and water proof headphones. Have patience and watch the videos on YouTube. There is plenty to find on the treasurecoast. I know because I live here.

Thanks Slider. Is there a particular scoop you'd recommend? I believe stainless steel would be a requirement. I've been looking online at the T-rex, Xtreme surf master and RTG. You'd probably know best what I would need as you hunt the same areas I will be. Probably won't spend much time in the water with these local wreck sites having claims.
Perhaps I can get out there with you one day and you could give me some pointers?

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Thanks Slider. Is there a particular scoop you'd recommend? I believe stainless steel would be a requirement. I've been looking online at the T-rex, Xtreme surf master and RTG. You'd probably know best what I would need as you hunt the same areas I will be. Probably won't spend much time in the water with these local wreck sites having claims.
Perhaps I can get out there with you one day and you could give me some pointers?

Well I have two stealth extreme 9.0 Scoops. One for here and one for travel with a carbon fiber handle. They are not cheap but well worth the money. Lifetime warranty.
http://www.stealthscoop.com/

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread