Advice on neoprene pants and/or wet suits?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By CASPER-2
  • 1 Post By CASPER-2
  • 2 Post By islamoradamark

Thread: Advice on neoprene pants and/or wet suits?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Dec 2019
    Naperville, Illinois
    Minelab Equinox 800
    54 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Advice on neoprene pants and/or wet suits?

I’m trying to plan ahead.

I have a family member with a lake house and I’m also hoping to MD along Lake Michigan this summer with the gf. There’s also some small creeks and shallow rivers I’d love to try.

Just basic shallow diving and wading with my Equinox. No deep water diving. (I know the Nox is only good to 3 meters).

I’m wondering what you all wear. Thickness? Favorite brands? Should I have something covering my feet besides beach shoes or even old tennis shoes for wading? Full skin suit if I’m chest deep for more than an hour at a time.?
    Is it better to have a 2 piece suit rather than a full body suit if I’m likely going to be in water waist level or below most of the time ?
    Temps for Lake Michigan would be around 70 degrees. Maybe as high as 75ish.

A few tips on sizing would also be helpful. I’m 6’ around 195.

Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by NapervilleDan; Apr 21, 2020 at 06:36 PM.

Jul 2013
    1455 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    If you go online, lots f wet suit sites and they have sizing charts to best suit your needs. Iíve been doing a lot of research through the winter on what wet suit to use. If you can only get one wet suit I would suggest a 4/3, this way you can detect early in the spring and late into the fall cool waters and also using it in the summer if you get too hot, you can just flood your suit with cool water. When youíre detecting in the water for more than 1/2 hr you want to be warm. Having a full wet suit and booties, you donít have to worry about leeches or other things in the water. Iím about to purchase a 4/3 suit just donít know yet wether I want a back zip or chest zip. Get somebody to measure your chest waist, hips and weight and go by that you donít want a suit too bulky or too tight. Bulky you will get cold and too tight is uncomfortable and restrictive. A good pair of diving boots that cover right over your suit/ankles and your all set.

Jul 2013
    1455 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    This is a suit Iím interested in. Itís $105.00 US online. Hyperflex. Lots of brands online for good prices under $200 and Itís all I need to get in the water. Good luck. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1587513561.265661.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	258.4 KB 
ID:	1826289

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    16562 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    2 piece farmer john is most flexible you can use together or separately depending on conditions
    5mm might be good for you
    OBN likes this.
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    16562 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    you can find articles on wet wear here
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-2/
    Irishgoldhound likes this.
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

Aug 2016
    1415 times
    In freshwater I always like a suit that covers all my body parts it helps protect against leaches when water is warm
    Irishgoldhound and CASPER-2 like this.

us
    "Dew" Meeker

Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
    1145 times
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    I wear a Henderson long sleve shortie (down knees) which zips in the front.... easy on and off. 1X3mm should be fine depending on how cold natured you are and how long you intend to spend in the water. Hard bottom shoes...... i wear Mares 6.5 MM just because the thicker they are the less they smell over time.

us
    Dec 2019
    Naperville, Illinois
    Minelab Equinox 800
    54 times
    I need to buy some gloves. 5mm seems appropriate for thickness.

Any opinions positive or negative is helpful. I know they're not waterproof.

I'm most concerned about dexterity (I think). Beach and river detecting. Fresh water, prob not salt water. I am a little concerned about bacteria in the water. Even though my area has modern facilities for sewage, it's not 100% clean. How would you guys keep them clean?

Dan
    Last edited by NapervilleDan; May 01, 2020 at 04:11 PM.

us
    Feb 2014
    Ohio and Florida
    CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils, Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 w 11" and 15" coils, Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35, Vibra-Tector 730 w 4" coil
    1832 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    If you're dealing with cool (eg 58 deg) to warm (eg 80 deg) water, consider a shorty (covers mostly body, upper legs and arms) combined with wet suit pants (hard to find alone). When water is cool but the air warm you can wear both and when the water warms up leave off the pants and just wear the shorty. I also use just the pants to wade waist deep with cooler water and hot air. The combo provides a lot of options.
    Metal Detecting Goal in Life is to Find Wife a 2ct Diamond Ring (so she'll be quiet about all my metal detecting).

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links