Found a Man o war today!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Found a Man o war today!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2014
    Wilmington NC
    Nox 600; CTX; Fisher CZ21; Minelab Excalibur II; White's Surf PI DF; 920i Stealth Scoop
    534 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

Found a Man o' war today!

You don't see these too often around where I live. There were many on the beach this morning. I found a bunch of pennies too! I think someone purposely threw them on the sand for us lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100091601_10122699435501184_8660422100613332992_n.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	160.9 KB 
ID:	1837240
    Molewacker, Toecutter, EQ8 and 1 others like this.

us
    Feb 2015
    Yacolt WA
    EQ 800
    1965 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    One of my favorite Jellies!

thanks for sharing -

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    16803 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    you never used to see them on eastcoast years ago -like before 2000- think they were brought thru the panama canal
    Fla. started getting a lot now Gulf stream is bringing them up your way with the warming Atlantic waters
    got to make sure kids dont play with them - they give a good burn - and dont let me catch you playing with them either
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2018
    The Thumb
    NOX899 ATpro
    5336 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Man O war....

I'll sleep when I'm dead

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    16803 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Toecutter and EQ8 like this.

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    16803 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    I wear thin gloves with rubber palms when in the water in Fla. so I can push them aside
    or throw them at kids that are bothering me
    or toss them to the competition - "Here...catch!"

us
    May 2014
    Wilmington NC
    Nox 600; CTX; Fisher CZ21; Minelab Excalibur II; White's Surf PI DF; 920i Stealth Scoop
    534 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-2 View Post
    got to make sure kids dont play with them - they give a good burn
    My son is 9 and finally old enough to enjoy coming out with me. He was trying to put a shell on it...after I just got done telling him it would burn him. I am getting him a vanquish soon so he stops playing with the sea life haha.

Quote Originally Posted by CASPER-2 View Post
    I wear thin gloves with rubber palms when in the water in Fla.
    I never used to wear gloves but I have started this year mostly to avoid recent finds/covid. Im wearing standard gardening gloves with the rubber fingers/palms.

us
    Sep 2011
    ft laud, fl
    CTX 3030, 2 xcal II 1000's, 1 has OBN's remote PP & peltor HP's, 2 aquasounds, dual field, sunspot 920i hybrid, 720i, 3 rtg scoops, Howie scoop
    73 times
    You need more than gloves to protect you from man o wars. Their tentacles can actually reach over 100 feet in deep water. they average 30 feet.
    CASPER-2 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    30345 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Please keep them away from me!

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    16803 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Quote Originally Posted by zigzag View Post
    You need more than gloves to protect you from man o wars. Their tentacles can actually reach over 100 feet in deep water. they average 30 feet.
    I wear a dive jacket with long sleeves or a long sleeve sweat sirt to keep them and other jellies off me - been with locals down there going
    shirtless and hear "ah!" "oh!" "ee" as they get stung - Ive not been stung in a looong time - I learned long ago
    zigzag likes this.

gb
    Dec 2019
    Surrey
    2422 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zigzag View Post
    Not only that but the tentacles sometimes detach and drift unseen in the water. The stinging cells are still active and can remain so for several days. There's even a species of octopus which is immune to the venom and uses broken tentacles it has managed to grab as a weapon against its predators.

We get them over here too on our western coasts when there have been strong winds.

When I was a kid and we saw dead ones on the beach the words: "look, there's a jellyfish..." were always followed by the words "... let's find a stick".

As an aside, the man-o-war is not a jellyfish... it's a colonial hydrozoan.
    zigzag and CASPER-2 like this.

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    16803 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    thats how i learned - i knew they were bad when i was younger - i had heard of huge ones in the pacific and a few guys died when they swam into large ones
    in the mid 90s when they started being more common in the Keys then south Fla. waters - i was on a nature kayak trip and came across one in some mangroves - the
    tour guide was talking about the mangroves - i had webbed swimming gloves on and reached down and scooped him up so the guide could talk about it. we both told people "dont do this at home" that my glove was protecting me - after show and tell - i put him back and we went on our way - bout and hour later we stopped
    for lunch - i pulled my gloves off and threw them in the bottom of the kayak so i could eat. Little did i know that a couple of its tentacles had broken off - maybe like an inch long and were stuck to the palm of my glove - when i tossed them it had hit my calve and it ended up giving me a small burn and got a rash - it lasted for awhile
    people got to be real careful when they wash up on shore and are in the seaweed - ive seen some people step on them and yelled at kids playing with them

Quote Originally Posted by Red-Coat View Post
    Not only that but the tentacles sometimes detach and drift unseen in the water. The stinging cells are still active and can remain so for several days. There's even a species of octopus which is immune to the venom and uses broken tentacles it has managed to grab as a weapon against its predators.

We get them over here too on our western coasts when there have been strong winds.

When I was a kid and we saw dead ones on the beach the words: "look, there's a jellyfish..." were always followed by the words "... let's find a stick".

As an aside, the man-o-war is not a jellyfish... it's a colonial hydrozoan.
    Red-Coat likes this.

rsc

Mar 2005
    Noth of Houston
    23 times
    i try to scoop them and bury in a shallow hole, when possible.
    HH Gayle

us
    DetectorMoe

Apr 2013
    SouthEast North Carolina
    XP Deus, Equinox800, ATpro
    2756 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    They are all over Brunswick county beaches right now..
    adamBomb likes this.

us
    Feb 2010
    East/West Coast
    ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC Stealth 720i hybrd
    718 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    At age 11 visiting my Grandparents in Del Ray Fla. snorkeling the breakwater line searching for sea shells my left hand got hit (never saw a thing in the water). Ran out of the water and looked at my finger saw about 1/2 inch of tentacle on it, I tried to scrap it off in the sand but that didn't help. So I plucked it off and got stung on my right hand finger! Well that Mother hurt really Bad! The venom moved up to my armpit attacking the glands and causing tremendous Pain! Felt like I broke my arm! The life guard suggested Meat tenderizer or to pee on it! He also said this happens when there is a prolonged west wind that will blow the(Portuguese) man-o-war on to east facing beaches. Once on the beach they break up from the surf! I'll never forget it cause my older brother went across the street to a Bar named Boston's and bought me my first beer!
    Casper hope all is well (I'm not on face book)! Big Jim has kept me informed about the old crew of pirates and all the shenanigans! Maybe we all can hook up this July when I come to visit the Grey Lady!!
    Esse quam videri

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links