24 karot Gold chain

troutbum

Sep 14, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXt 505, Tesoro Sand shark, Whites coinmaster pro. Tesoro Compadre.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took my new Nox 600 to the Delaware beaches today, Hit the surf, wet, and dry sand. Nothing in the surf. Dry I found 2 pieces of small junk, 2 zincolns, 1 quarter for a total of $27 cents in clad. Then I hit the towel line and BANG,:occasion18: Nox shows a steady 6. It was a 24 karot gold chain, 15" to 17" long, intack, like new. Nothing broke on it. Says 24 karot on thr clasp. What would a chain like that be worth. Onlin they show between $300 to over $ 1.000. I don't know. Nox was great.

Upvote 0

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm sure its something to see !

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to weigh it to be able for us to give you a value.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also if they spelled karat/ karot like it says in your post I would say fake unless it is a foreign made chain maybe that is how it is spelled in their language.

OP
OP
troutbum

troutbum

Sep 14, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No back thats my spelling. I looked again , the clasp says 24KGL. I don.t know what that means, could only be worth $20 bucks. Who knows, I'm not into Jewlery that much. hope this helps.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No back thats my spelling. I looked again , the clasp says 24KGL. I don.t know what that means, could only be worth $20 bucks. Who knows, I'm not into Jewlery that much. hope this helps.

You sure it doesn't say 24KGF?

Hit it with a magnet before anything else... if that passes then get some gold testing acid and place a few drops of 14K test acid on it after scratching it a little and see if it bubbles up green. If not you are "golden"!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
24 KGL = Gold Layered

OP
OP
troutbum

troutbum

Sep 14, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sure it doesn't say 24KGF?

Hit it with a magnet before anything else... if that passes then get some gold testing acid and place a few drops of 14K test acid on it after scratching it a little and see if it bubbles up green. If not you are "golden"!
Ok, I'm getting great advise. Wife has a gold testing kit. The chain it felt to me stuck to a magnet a little, it seemed like it glided on the magnet. I tested a known cheap chain and it stuck like glue to the maganet. Now for the test. I rubbed the clasp on the surface block and hit it with 22 k acid. Nothing happened, gold rub marks were still there under the acid. Whats that all mean. You guys are teaching me alot. OH, it says 24 KGL not GF.

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats the differance between layerd or gold plated.
Just a new term - they put micro thin layers of gold on top of junk metal - possibly steel
used to be that gold filled was just that - a gold shell and was filled with silver or a "junk" metal
white metal copper brass etc
i found 100+ yr old gold filled items that gold shell was thick enough to peel off and still have weight to it
then they plated them and still used GF = gold filled
or GP = gold plate ...then EGP = electro gold plate
there are bunch of others now

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, I'm getting great advise. Wife has a gold testing kit. The chain it felt to me stuck to a magnet a little, it seemed like it glided on the magnet. I tested a known cheap chain and it stuck like glue to the maganet. Now for the test. I rubbed the clasp on the surface block and hit it with 22 k acid. Nothing happened, gold rub marks were still there under the acid. Whats that all mean. You guys are teaching me alot. OH, it says 24 KGL not GF.

Get a knife and cut a slit into it thru the gold plating and hit it again.

OP
OP
troutbum

troutbum

Sep 14, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK. I'll try that today, Thanks.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We like to see photos too! :laughing7:

OP
OP
troutbum

troutbum

Sep 14, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a Jewler friend look at it today, Everyone was pretty much on target, he said it was JUNK, JUNK!. it was worth JUNK. But still it was fun. Thanks guys.:occasion14:

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wear that chain like a boss lol. I have a giant one thats silver with gold plate. My GF won't let me wear it unless its Halloween. I already dusted it off.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK. I'll try that today, Thanks.

The scratch test on a plate is only good if you are certain it's solid gold and want to determine karat... to identify fakes, you place 14K acid on the actual jewelry and look for it to bubble up green.

Small chance it could still be 10K if it turns green, but it's a good starting point.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Troutbum,,Thank You for your service,,

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
24 KGL = Gold Layered
:icon_thumleft:

Gold layered has more gold than gold plated but still not pure gold. Usually if you buy a necklace that is 24kgl they will warranty the layering...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread