DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should be titled "old fool with bad eyes gold". I won't bore you all with the photos but I was doing well on my last hunt this weekend. By noon, I had put three and possibly four good pieces of gold in my pouch. All earrings and one that was really heavy. I found a couple of junk rings and a silver toe ring to boot. It was an earring kind of day. Ended up with about 15 of them alltogether.

Well I bragged to a couple of folks that asked what I was finding that I had three good pieces and one iffy. I must have repeated that brag about 4 times in conversations even showing gold-digger and his wife one of my "best finds", the heavy earring.

When I got back to my car, I pulled out my eyes, I mean magnifying glass and to my amazement, some of my finds had miraculously turned into junk. As a matter of fact, Mr. Magoo has nothing on me because every stinking piece I had in my bag was junk other than the cheap little toe ring. Talk about a big let down.

To make my idiotic longer story short, I will carry my magnifier with me in the water next time as to not let the fools gold get the best of me again. I can hear some of those folks as I was walking away. "Poor deranged man, he is in another world isn't he."

P.S. Not even the "At least you got out" replies will help me feel better on this one.

DaChief !!

Upvote 0

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I feel your pain.

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
And I thought I was the only one with rose colored glasses. Man that has happened to me almost every time out, but when I tell you all it's gold, it's gold. So my Friend. Better than pull tabs, a little bit.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
They all look great wet in the scoop . I don't even bother to try to see what they are till I get home and dig out the Lupe. No way I can read them with salt spotted bi focal sunglasses. Lucky to find my truck ;D ;D

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
erikk said:
They all look great wet in the scoop . I don't even bother to try to see what they are till I get home and dig out the Lupe. No way I can read them with salt spotted bi focal sunglasses. Lucky to find my truck ;D ;D

Most times what Errik says above applies to me too. The old peepers just are not what they use to be. Sometimes if the marking is very pronounced I can see it is good, most times I need the loop I keep in my van. Usually my glasses are spotted with the salt spray from the waves, and my eyes are strained from the eye candy. ;D

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
 Hey  Jim The  eyes go  after  40.. Its  hell  getting older. Same  thing  happen to  me  last  week   Thought  I  had  a  gold  earring  turned  out  to  be  junkeroo,,  LOOP is the way go ;D ;D ;D ;D   Guzz

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Awwwww come on DaChief! Everyone has bad days. My day today beat yours. So your stuff wasn't all gold. So what? It was all better than a sinker and a fish hook! Tomorrow is another day. ::)

rdi

Sep 5, 2007
Zephyrhills, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Infinium LS, Sovereign GT, Fisher cz6a, Garrett sea hunter,Garrett vlf/tr groundhog
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DaChief.........I do just like Erikk and Treasure_Hunter, take the ring,necklace,coin,etc. out of the scoop straight to the good bag without so much as a good look....why bother when I can't see without my glasses.... when we get home the wife goes through our goody bags (she's like a big kid at Christmas) and tells me if it was a good day or not and shows me anything special...for me the hunt is the fun,not the finds....with my wife it's a different story....rdi

OP
OP
DaChief

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All good suggestions. Thanks for the ideas.

Gives credence to the saying that "Ignorance is Bliss". As long as I thought I had gold in my pouch I was happy as could be.

I just counted all my digs for the day. 114 separate items that I pulled from the water. 14 earrings, a bunch of coins including a James Monroe presidential dollar, 23 bobby pins, 4 pulltabs, a bottle cap, 3 junk rings, I know a few junk items fell out of my hand trying to get them into the trash bag. That is lots of digging!

About 7 hours total in the water equals digging about 16 items per hour. That didn't count several that I could not get to because they were so deep the hole kept collapsing.

Take care and good hunting.

DaChief!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DaChief said:
All good suggestions. Thanks for the ideas.

I just counted all my digs for the day. 114 separate items that I pulled from the water. 14 earrings, a bunch of coins including a James Monroe presidential dollar, 23 bobby pins, 4 pulltabs, a bottle cap, 3 junk rings, I know a few junk items fell out of my hand trying to get them into the trash bag. That is lots of digging!

About 7 hours total in the water equals digging about 16 items per hour. That didn't count several that I could not get to because they were so deep the hole kept collapsing.

Take care and good hunting.

DaChief!

Way too much digging of junk for me, but your younger then I am, h3ll everyone is younger then I am... ;D

gold-digger

Jul 4, 2006
Gulf Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excals & Quattro
Primary Interest:
Hey Chief...Pleasure to meet you.

It still looked like a nice one to me. I hear you on the magnifier. Plenty of times I wish had one with me or even my reading glasses.

All we got that night were coins.

At least you got out on a nice day to a nice beach, right.

Maybe we'll see you out here again sometime.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions