OBX Gold - finally!!!

LarryinVT

Greenie
Oct 16, 2007
Waterville, VT
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
The wife and I are here in Corolla NC for our annual two weeks of sitting on the beach and recovering from the Vermont winter. The past two years I've spent some time using my Ace250 on the beach with some sucess finding clad and artifacts but this year I borrowed a friends OLD Minelab Excalibur - I think it's one of the original ones. He bought it at a yard sale several years ago and only used it twice. I had to rig up a battery charger - he couldn't find his , if it had one. The picture is of the loot I've found the first four days here. The beach has been in nice shape with pretty deep cuts during low tide which I've been hunting hard. The Excalibur has been working great! Two nice 14k men's wedding bands and two other junk rings and 3 pounds of lead fishing weights and just a little clad coins. We're here till June 7th so I'm hoping for some more jewlery but as it is I've had a thrill of my lifetime finding these two pieces of gold! I'll say this about the Excalibur - it's a heavy mother to swing! I'm getting better at it as my arm gets used to it - but that's a small price to pay for the fun I've been having with it. I think a new Excalibur will be high on my list of things to spend my Bush money on. Also - I sure love diggin in this sand!

Later, Larry

Attachments

• P5280005.JPG
    P5280005.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 500
Upvote 0
T

TreasurdiggrNY

Congrats on the rings Larry, nothing like seeing that gold come out of the sand. Good luck on the rest of your trip. WTG :thumbsup:
Glenn

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
SWEEEET Nice Job :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: guzz1

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't have one you need a straight shaft

Attachments

• straight shaft.jpg
    straight shaft.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 490
  • straight shaft.jpg
    straight shaft.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 494

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you Larry. Nice day.

Treasure Detector

Feb 9, 2007
Mechanicsville
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 70
Nice spoon......... and several sinkers. When did you get the finds and where in Corolla? I am surprise that only zincs were found, but that happends. Do some research on the spoon, I really like it.

Attachments

• kittyhawkbridge_1930s_smaller.jpg
    kittyhawkbridge_1930s_smaller.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 352
OP
OP
L

LarryinVT

Greenie
Oct 16, 2007
Waterville, VT
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Treasure Detector said:
Nice spoon......... and several sinkers. When did you get the finds and where in Corolla? I am surprise that only zincs were found, but that happends. Do some research on the spoon, I really like it.

I got most of the loot on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday this week. The storm the blew through Wednesday changed the beach and erased the cuts. These past few days I've only found a few more pennies and just 5 more sinkers. We're here through the end of next week so I'm hoping things will pick up. These were all found on Whalehead beach in the Benito Street area.

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff Larry!! Leave some loot for me. I'll be down in Nags Head tomorrow. Is the Nor'easter done blowing yet?

Hal

OP
OP
L

LarryinVT

Greenie
Oct 16, 2007
Waterville, VT
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
eathabs said:
Good stuff Larry!! Leave some loot for me. I'll be down in Nags Head tomorrow. Is the Nor'easter done blowing yet?

Hal

The water is calm today but the beaches are still filled in. I managed to get a few more sinkers and a single zinc penny during this mornings low tide. There's another front rolling in tonight - maybe that'll stir things up a bit. It was hotter than blazes on the beach today with those nasty biting flys thrown in just to make sunbathing interesting. I hope you have good luck while you're here, Hal!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions