Scoop suggestions

pdunc

Aug 28, 2007
Maine
Detector(s) used
CZ-21
Yes, I know that this subject has been beaten to death on the forum, but I have some specific desires for what I want in a scoop and would like to know if anyone has any suggestions. First of all, I already have a Sunspot Stealth. Well built and great in the sand, but I am having trouble with it twisting and not biting in well in the rocky/gravelly bottom of many of our Maine lakes. It seems to dig in a couple of inches or so, then just scrapes along at that depth, requiring a number of more digs before it gets any depth. Also, because of the 1/2" holes, many small gravelly rocks and shells stay in the basket when I bring it to the surface. I have chosen not to get the Nuttall scoop partly because of the 1/2" holes, but also because I have been told that it is difficult to use because of how accurate your pinpointing has to be. So what I'd like to find is a stainless scoop that is at least 6" in diameter, has plenty of 5/8" holes, and is a reasonable weight. I'm not quite sure what reasonable is, but I will be using the scoop for many hours at a time and I know that a heavy scoop will seem to get heavier with each load you bring up. So far, the closest I have come to my desired scoop is the RTG stainless "Monster" scoop, but I'm unsure how much of a problem that 7lbs would be over 5-7 hours of use. Anyone have any experience with this scoop, or have any other suggestions you could give me? I'm 55, 6' tall, and weigh 195 lbs. if that helps. I really doubt that aluminum would hold up well in the type of digging I've described, but would consider it if someone made a compelling case. Thanks.

Upvote 0

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey Pdunc,,,, I have been on the scoop quest for a year now , I have had a lot of them. The best design scoop out there in my opinion is the Diamond head .. I had a few issues with it . 1 being the handle not being long enough ,, I talk to Travis tonight , problem solved ,,2, is pinpointing , I think with a little practice it can be mastered. There is no twisting with the diamond head scoop ..THATS HUGE ,, All the other half barrel type scoops tend to twist ,Thats a real problem.. I don't think there is a 100% perfect scoop out there yet , thats why it is a hot topic on the forum .. But the diamond head is real close... Just my opinion ,, Guzz1

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Sunspot Stealth and the only improvement for it I can think of in the surf is to weld on a top to help keep the target inside, but this adds weight. A lot depends on where you are using the scoop. It must have many holes and not holes large enough to let a dime slip thru. If the holes are smaller to catch small items, it keeps more shells and rocks inside. You might need to check out the Diamond Head scoop, I think that is what it is called. I like the looks, but I have never used one yet. I've tried many scoops and you just need to find the one that suits you.

OP
OP
pdunc

pdunc

Aug 28, 2007
Maine
Detector(s) used
CZ-21
Hey Guzz,
You and I have spoken by email. Please let me know your updated opinions on the Diamondhead after you've used it with the longer handle. Seems to me though that if pinpointing accuracy is difficult in shallower water, it would be harder in deeper water. Thanks.

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
I said it was No problem in the shallows as long as you can see the tip of scoop and its great in the wet sand and Dry. I'll keep you posted . Don't buy anything just yet . I'll let you know in a few days,, Guzz1

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Like anything new, we have to learn and practice. I think that the ability to easily cut into the shell and mud layers will more then offset any other concerns. I try to learn a lot of curse words when the scoop is stopped a few inches below the sand.

Everyone seems to complain about the weight of things. My Excal2 is suspended by a surgical tubing harness.(adjustable) The scoop is attached to a strap (for now), I just drag it along in the dry sand. When working the water I use it like a walking stick.

In the water, I have everything connected to a quick release belt.
On one cord is attached my flotation device/sifter screen.

HTH

Ralph

Attachments

• BasicWaterSetup-1.jpg
    BasicWaterSetup-1.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 437
  • BasicWaterSetup-3.JPG
    BasicWaterSetup-3.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 430
  • BasicDrySetup.jPG
    BasicDrySetup.jPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 429
  • BasicDrySetup.jPG
    BasicDrySetup.jPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 429
  • BasicWaterSetup-3.JPG
    BasicWaterSetup-3.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 439
  • BasicWaterSetup-1.jpg
    BasicWaterSetup-1.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 426
OP
OP
pdunc

pdunc

Aug 28, 2007
Maine
Detector(s) used
CZ-21
Montauk3,
The weight is not a problem while dragging the scoop around. It is a problem with constant digging when you take the weight of the scoop and material into consideration. I already have problems with my elbow from years of swinging a loop and doing lots of digging. Nice looking setup you have by the way. As you say, anything can be learned, so the pinpointing might not be that big of an issue, but I believe that Travis is aware of the issue and may be looking into a few tweeks. I've got to give him credit, he sure came up with a longer handle quickly once people mentioned it to him. Before I buy, I plan on hearing comments from a number of people as I do have time before making a decision. Thanks.

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PD

for many many years i always used 7" dia. scoops - either made by bill babb or keven reily - alum & S/S

february i down sized to 6" s/s scoop

friday i downsized to a new 5" dia. alum. scoop by kevin - 3 or 4 years ago i would not have even considered this scoop, but i can tell you after using it this weekend, it is one fine ticket - and so light.

now i did use it yesterday in the deep zone..................chest deep area and i wish i did have my 6" scoop for that zone, plus the waves kinda kick it around trying to get it on the target, but up shallow zone and damp - it is a killer

not sure how it will work out for u up north, but u can at least see a pic of it.

i am painting the handle now.

good luck
max

Attachments

• ALUM3.jpg
    ALUM3.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 424
  • ALUM2.jpg
    ALUM2.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 417
  • ALUM1.jpg
    ALUM1.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 439
  • ALUM4.jpg
    ALUM4.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 417

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pd

On all my scoops I always added a middle handle. This handle really works good in the water

If u are planning any water hunting I would strongly suggest one – travis does offer a big black plastic job for his scoops – to big for my taste

Here are some more pics for your consideration and idears

The upper handle on some scoops was just added to support against while digging in the waves, but I have ended up using it a lot – these pics are set up for right hand digging. I swing with my left arm and dig with my right

F Y I ONLY
Max

this is my new 6” S/S scoop – a might heavy too, but works great in the waves
O5176B.jpg

S-SSCOOP1.jpg

FAMILYSM.jpg

ebreill1.jpg

ebbabb2.jpg

here is travis’s with handle

O8105.jpg

O896.jpg

new style dragger
BIGDRAGGER.jpg

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just used the diamond head the other day for the first time and I thought it was great. I had no issues. The handle could be a little longer but it's not the end of the world. One beach is very hard digging and it went through it like butter.

I had no problems after pinpointing my target got them everytime first try , right on the money. And some were like they said in China.

Guzz you sure your glasses aren't getting fogged up..lol

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
pdunc said:
Montauk3,
The weight is not a problem while dragging the scoop around. It is a problem with constant digging when you take the weight of the scoop and material into consideration. I already have problems with my elbow from years of swinging a loop and doing lots of digging. Nice looking setup you have by the way. As you say, anything can be learned, so the pinpointing might not be that big of an issue, but I believe that Travis is aware of the issue and may be looking into a few tweeks. I've got to give him credit, he sure came up with a longer handle quickly once people mentioned it to him. Before I buy, I plan on hearing comments from a number of people as I do have time before making a decision. Thanks.
This is the reason that I have "noodle" foam on the handle of my scoop. It doesn't take much to help with the lifting a full scoop of sand in the water. Every little bit helps.

Mike Silver -gold

Dec 28, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX - 1280 Excal.-1000
I like my Nutall scoop. The 48" fiberglass handle is super. If I had to change anything ,I would have Travis make the bill a little longer. It can be a little hard to dig ,when you can't tell the front from the back in deep water. He does have his logo and bike grip faceing the point. This helps, but a longer bill would be better. Can't have it all. A longer bill would add weight. :tard: :icon_scratch: Mike.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread