Tesoro Silver uMax on wet salt water beach HELP

metalfoot

Greenie
Sep 1, 2007
locust grove, GA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-70, F2, Whites ID Classic, Whites coin master 4000 ser 3, Minelab Sovereign XS, Detector Pro Probe with both coils, Metrotech 220
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a uMax that works great in the dry sand but I was getting alot of interference from wet sand in salt water. Is it me or the detector (My wife says it's always me LOL). I would like to learn from ya'lls experience on how to get it to work in salt water shallows. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't tried my Silver Umax on wet sand yet, but from what I've read you should turn down the sensitivity until it quiets down.

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
all the VLF's with 1 frequency have problems in wet salt sand.you need to turn the sensitivity so far down to stabilize you loose a lot of depth.

Foilman

Aug 17, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandito II uMax
I don't have the silver, I have the Bandido Micromax II, Probably the same circuits. It does the same thing. It is pretty stable in the damp, but soaked sand it is pretty bad. If you turn the sensitivity as was stated previously sometimes it helps. Don't be afraid of a little chatter, it will still give a good tone when you go over a good target. I found the clean sweep coil to be much more stable, I think it s a double d style and that is what you want, for wet salt. I still think it loses depth with that coil too. Most machines have issues in that environment. You have to make due with it or get a machine built for that environment.

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my son's Tesoro Bandido on the wet sand from time to time. As stated above, turning down the sensitivity is the only option. Turn it down a little at a time until you get a quiet machine. You may want to turn it up past that point to where you get just a little chatter. Solid signals will be easy to discern over the small amount of chatter. If you prefer, just turn the sensitivity down until the false signals stop all together. You should still have some pretty good depth from the machine even then.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As many others have stated, turning down the sens. helps. The chattering won't effect how well it goes off on a good target. All VLF detectors I have tried can have trouble in the wet saltwater sand, expecially were the waves hit the beach because of the extra black sand present. The only one that works well for me is the Excal and some PI detectors. I haven't used the Sov GT at the beach much yet.

OP
OP
metalfoot

metalfoot

Greenie
Sep 1, 2007
locust grove, GA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-70, F2, Whites ID Classic, Whites coin master 4000 ser 3, Minelab Sovereign XS, Detector Pro Probe with both coils, Metrotech 220
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all your helpful replies ya'll :icon_sunny:

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
metalfoot,

I would also add that "hovering" the coil might also help. In other words swing the coil an inch or two above the wet salt sand. Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread