Cant return THIS ring!

VBDave

Aug 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Tesoro Vaquero
Can't return THIS ring!

Since most of my co-workers know I'm a beach hunter, I get referrals from time to time when beachgoers lose stuff and call the PD. Today, I contacted a very distraught young lady who wanted me to find her engagement ring she lost in the water less than an hour ago. I told her she was in luck since I had my detector and was planning to hit the beach when my shift ended.

I asked for the normal info you'd need to start hunting. Here's what she said "We rented a jet ski for an hour, and when I got back my ring was gone from my finger. My fiance doesn't know yet. Please help me!"

Before I could stop laughing, she started crying uncontrollably. I tried to calm her down, at the same time telling her there was zero chance of her getting that ring back. She kept crying "But you don't understand, I HAVE to get it back!" After several more attempts at common sense, she was still crying, but she finally calmed down to where she was breathing well enough to explain "You don't understand; my fiance and I came to Va Beach yesterday and last night he proposed to me on the beach. I haven't had the ring for a whole day yet!

I couldn't think of anything to say. Praying for momentary wisdom, I came up with this: "Honey, I know it's hard to see at the moment, but this is a divine test to see whether your fiance is REALLY the guy you should be marrying. She asked what I meant. I said "Go ahead and tell him. If he doesn't kill you, marry him right away." She didn't laugh, but I was rolling on the floor, doing my best sound serious on the phone. Thank God it was a phone call and not a face to face conversation. Does this mean I'm one of those insensitive slobs that women complain about?

VBDave
"I'm here for a good time, not a long time..."

Upvote 0

karib2517

Jan 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X50 : Another world inches below us.
Re: Can't return THIS ring!

crazy story,i wish her well. maybe you can drag your detector behind a jet ski and see what happens lol.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What I do when confronted with these sad stories is question them about everything they had done before they noticed the ring missing. Many times they took it off earlier and forgot about it, or played frisbee on the dry sand. It might not have been lost while on the jet ski at all. By all means take their name and phone number to give them hope at least that you will return it if found. You never know, you might find it.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000

Sandman said:
What I do when confronted with these sad stories is question them about everything they had done before they noticed the ring missing. Many times they took it off earlier and forgot about it, or played frisbee on the dry sand. It might not have been lost while on the jet ski at all. By all means take their name and phone number to give them hope at least that you will return it if found. You never know, you might find it.

The voice of experience and wisdom.I agree completely.

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac

That is a heartbreaking story indeed. I agree however that there is the possability she lost it before going out on the jet ski. Either way, I hope that they manage to get past this hurdle. What doesn't kill ya makes you stronger right?

Maui Mike

May 26, 2008

Thats a crack up Dave! And i am sure you used super human kindness not to bust out laughing on the phone.
Like said, maybe this IS a pre marriage test for her?.. who knows?..LOL shaka Mikey :thumbsup:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

well there is a .00001 % chance that she lost in just before or when getting on or off the jet ski and not while flying around on it bouncing like crazy all over the ocean --- PS a great chance to get rid of a ring you got "in stock" $$$$ if its a rather run of the mill type ring :wink:

JoeSWFla

Jun 15, 2007

If I looked for that ring at all,it would be where she got on or off the jet ski,or on the beach area
in that vicinity.Otherwise,I guess it is a lost cause.Too bad it wasn't fitted better before use.HH joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread