Does anyone know where Mr Hazelwood of the Hart papers got the Beale codes?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
The Hart Brothers became interested after Clayton Hart got a copy of the cipher codes from Newton Hazelwood because Clayton Hart's wife was Newton Hazelwood's Aunt. Clayton Hart married the daughter of Isaac Otey as did Paschal Buford. Keeping the story in a small circle of immediate families. Don't you see the connections that make this story real.

The Luck Family also knew about the Beale Treasure before any story ever came out about it. Jimmy Luck's father was a Park Ranger at the Peaks of Otter till he died about 92 years old. I talked to him on one occasion and he said he had known the story of the gold his entire life and he had looked for the Beale Treasure with a couple of others that knew about it. One of these was "Buck" Wright that lived as a hermit in the mountains above Buchannon. Another man down in Buchannon also hunted his entire life, Toler Ranson. When Pauline Innis and Admiral Walter Innis searched for the Beale Treasure in the early 1960's these last two gentlemen and possibly Mr. James Luck accompanied them? I know that Buck Wright and Toler Ranson did and Buck Wright was believed to be one of the Jesse James Gang. He was also in the Civil War under a General Thomas Munford from the Montvale Area that never surrendered at Appomattox Court House. They cut their way out and made it back to Bedford County possibly bringing CSA Gold with them?

Either way whether gold from the Southwest or CSA gold there is a treasure in Montvale, Virginia area to be found.

AND! "Points" WEST!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Getting HOTTER! Gold & Silver BARS! Melted down by the PHOENIX Foundry in Lynchburg, Va. AND! Book; The SKETCHBOOK OF LYNCHBURG: A Story AS Told IN 1887 is VERY INTERESTING!

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Hart Brothers became interested after Clayton Hart got a copy of the cipher codes from Newton Hazelwood because Clayton Hart's wife was Newton Hazelwood's Aunt. Clayton Hart married the daughter of Isaac Otey as did Paschal Buford. Keeping the story in a small circle of immediate families. Don't you see the connections that make this story real.

The Luck Family also knew about the Beale Treasure before any story ever came out about it. Jimmy Luck's father was a Park Ranger at the Peaks of Otter till he died about 92 years old. I talked to him on one occasion and he said he had known the story of the gold his entire life and he had looked for the Beale Treasure with a couple of others that knew about it. One of these was "Buck" Wright that lived as a hermit in the mountains above Buchannon. Another man down in Buchannon also hunted his entire life, Toler Ranson. When Pauline Innis and Admiral Walter Innis searched for the Beale Treasure in the early 1960's these last two gentlemen and possibly Mr. James Luck accompanied them? I know that Buck Wright and Toler Ranson did and Buck Wright was believed to be one of the Jesse James Gang. He was also in the Civil War under a General Thomas Munford from the Montvale Area that never surrendered at Appomattox Court House. They cut their way out and made it back to Bedford County possibly bringing CSA Gold with them?

Either way whether gold from the Southwest or CSA gold there is a treasure in Montvale, Virginia area to be found.

Do the math. In 1960 the pamphlet story was already 75 years old. If I were 15 years old in 1885 that would have me hiking around the mountains in 1960 in search of treasure at the age of 90. Now then, in order for these people to have held knowledge of the affair before the pamphlet was published in 1885 just how old would they have been, and just how old would they have been in 1960 while they were hiking around the mountains in search of treasure? 95-100? Not saying it's impossible, just pointing out how realistically unlikely it would be. A lot of stories out there.....and each time they are told or passed on by word of mouth they get distorted, even when people believe they are repeating the details in earnest.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Do the math. In 1960 the pamphlet story was already 75 years old. If I were 15 years old in 1885 that would have me hiking around the mountains in 1960 in search of treasure at the age of 90. Now then, in order for these people to have held knowledge of the affair before the pamphlet was published in 1885 just how old would they have been, and just how old would they have been in 1960 while they were hiking around the mountains in search of treasure? 95-100? Not saying it's impossible, just pointing out how realistically unlikely it would be. A lot of stories out there.....and each time they are told or passed on by word of mouth they get distorted, even when people believe they are repeating the details in earnest.

Info is passed down through the generations; see HBB's book, REBEL GOLD/SHADOW of the SENTINEL.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Info is passed down through the generations; see HBB's book, REBEL GOLD/SHADOW of the SENTINEL.

Sure it is, but just how much of the details get distorted over the years, even when those efforts are believed to be in earnest? This is why hearsay isn't accepted in our courts, because it is readily accepted that such information is far too subject to human inaccuracies and embellishments. I'm only 57 and I can't tell you the number of times I recalled some past event or place in my life only to later discover that I had recalled some of those details with inaccurate memory. And yet it all seemed so accurate at the time of the informations retelling.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Sure it is, but just how much of the details get distorted over the years, even when those efforts are believed to be in earnest? This is why hearsay isn't accepted in our courts, because it is readily accepted that such information is far too subject to human inaccuracies and embellishments. I'm only 57 and I can't tell you the number of times I recalled some past event or place in my life only to later discover that I had recalled some of those details with inaccurate memory. And yet it all seemed so accurate at the time of the informations retelling.

Sentinels are TRAINED to remember details; or info goes "DEEP" into sub-conscious... until "recall" is needed.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sentinels are TRAINED to remember details; or info goes "DEEP" into sub-conscious... until "recall" is needed.

Exactly where were you on this day, and exactly what were you doing, 75 years ago? Tell me exactly everything you did that week. :laughing7:

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Exactly where were you on this day, and exactly what were you doing, 75 years ago? Tell me exactly everything you did that week. :laughing7:

MAYBE... dunno. HART PAPERS may be providing a "clue", with the Hart Bros. interacting with the "Psychic"; NOT "medium"... were NOT holding a "Seance". US Army Intelligence were doing this in OPERATION STAR-GATE, in the late '70/early '80, taken over LATER... by the CIA! Called REMOTE-VIEWING...

Last edited:

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
i know its a 2yr old thread, just seems like the place
to put this anyway, not sure this has been discussed
i couldnt find it if it has.......

so what i know/have read is....
1885 the BP was published
Harts got on it in the summer of 1897

so where did this story come from in 1893
no byline on the story or where the writer
got it from is mentioned

The Roanoke Times, Volume 11, Number 106, 20 January 1893
where is the gold and silver
The Roanoke Times 20 January 1893 ? Virginia Chronicle

i downloaded a pdf the site makes, ill try to screenshot the
article, and load it in this post later
a lot of details from the BP

Screenshot 2017-06-09 at 9.20.46 PM.png Screenshot 2017-06-09 at 9.23.22 PM.png Screenshot 2017-06-09 at 9.24.51 PM.png Screenshot 2017-06-09 at 9.26.19 PM.png

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That article came about because Sherman's wife worked at the Roanoke Newspaper at that time.

There was a man that worked with the Hart Brothers and Mr. Hazelwood. He stayed at the Stratford Hotel in Roanoke with Mr. Hazelwood. He later moved in with Clayton Hart for a number of years while the Hart Brothers were searching for the Beale Treasure. I have tried finding these people to see if they had Clayton Hart's manuscript of the treasure search but no luck. I believe the man did not die until the 1960's. His name was James Kiser and his wife Alma.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
i know its a 2yr old thread, just seems like the place
to put this anyway, not sure this has been discussed
i couldnt find it if it has.......

so what i know/have read is....
1885 the BP was published
Harts got on it in the summer of 1897

so where did this story come from in 1893
no byline on the story or where the writer
got it from is mentioned

The Roanoke Times, Volume 11, Number 106, 20 January 1893
where is the gold and silver
The Roanoke Times 20 January 1893 ? Virginia Chronicle

i downloaded a pdf the site makes, ill try to screenshot the
article, and load it in this post later
a lot of details from the BP

View attachment 1460514 View attachment 1460513 View attachment 1460512 View attachment 1460511
Did you notice the discrepancies from the original text- "in the mountains in New Mexico" and "14 miles from Buford's"?
Apart from that it is just a retelling of what appeared in the Beale Papers narrative text- no new information.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you notice the discrepancies from the original text- "in the mountains in New Mexico" and "14 miles from Buford's"?
Apart from that it is just a retelling of what appeared in the Beale Papers narrative text- no new information.

I believe back in the day the area where the treasure was reported found was called the "New Mexico Territory"? I may be wrong. I don't know when Colorado came into the picture. Also may could have been because TJB said it found the treasure about 300 miles north of Sante Fe, which is in New Mexico.

As for the 14 miles that could be a type-O.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well, I read somewhere that CSA & KGC used newspaper articles to "code" info... dunno. AND! In 1885, MAYBE the Beale PAPERS Pamphlet did, TOO!

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
"14 miles"...? Wonder WHERE 14 miles from VMI, in Lexington, Va. is... MAYBE, 14 miles from Roanoke...?

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe back in the day the area where the treasure was reported found was called the "New Mexico Territory"? I may be wrong. I don't know when Colorado came into the picture. Also may could have been because TJB said it found the treasure about 300 miles north of Sante Fe, which is in New Mexico.

As for the 14 miles that could be a type-O.
The US ORGANIC ACT OF 1861, it was called the Territory of Colorado (one year before "the 2nd year of the Confederate War") and a state in 1876.
During the "Beale" period, it was often referred as "Jefferson Territory".

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
yea i noticed the discrepancies, as was said i think it was "New Mexico Territory"
@ the date of article,and the 14 was typo prob
wonder if
Mr. Hazelwood fam still have papers of his, i would have to find links
again, i read he is N H Hazlewood,and his son N H jr., at 17 lost his feet in a
a train accident in montvale, but went on to become district manager for the
coke a cola co. in va, and they were from montvale start

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the time of the publication of the Beale Papers, Newton H. Hazelwood was chief auditor in Lynchburg, Va. When the railroad moved it's headquarters to Roanoke, Va. Hazelwood would stay at the Stratford Inn until he purchase his house and lot in Buford's Depot. He lived in Montvale but had a room in Roanoke at the Stratford working between both locations. As for the papers Hazelwood had they could have passed to his descendants. He would have still had a copy as he had Clayton Hart to make him another copy. Also the man James Kiser that stayed with Hazelwood and later moved in with Clayton Hart could have also had a copy. Need to read Pauline Innis' new book the gold cover about the Otey Family in Roanoke. They were most likely kin to Hazelwood. Need to check Hazelwood's genealogy to see who he married and the kin between him the Otey's, Luck's and Hart's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread