Does anyone know where Mr Hazelwood of the Hart papers got the Beale codes?

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, Clayton Hart and Paschal Buford were brother in laws. I have not found Hazelwood's wife. I have it on a Deed if I can find it----at least her first name not her maiden name.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Which would also make his wife related to Ward's wife, Harriet Emmaline Otey.
Another Otey behind the scenes connection to the Beale Papers.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yell. Well the author did say it was a family affair. Keep it in the family until the Beale Papers went public in 1883 or 1885.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...and cousin and printer of the Beale Papers, John William Sherman's mother was an Otey.

I have found the Kent Family, Williamson, Hill, Will, Obenchain, Ferrell, Read, Duolly, Haymaker, Overstreet, Claytor, Wytte, Cook and other families are all tied to the Harts, Lucks, Otey, Ward, Morris and other families of Goose Creek Valley. The Luck, Innis, Wright, Williamson, Nelms and other families knew about the Beale Treasure before Pauline Innis' story in Argosy Magazine in the early 1960's. I have a copy of that magazine.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found the Kent Family, Williamson, Hill, Will, Obenchain, Ferrell, Read, Duolly, Haymaker, Overstreet, Claytor, Wytte, Cook and other families are all tied to the Harts, Lucks, Otey, Ward, Morris and other families of Goose Creek Valley. The Luck, Innis, Wright, Williamson, Nelms and other families knew about the Beale Treasure before Pauline Innis' story in Argosy Magazine in the early 1960's. I have a copy of that magazine.

The pamphlet was published in 1885, no doubt "a lot" of people already knew about it before Pauline Innis determined to capitalize on it. I'm betting just about everyone in the entire region knew about it shortly after it was published given all the ads for it, regardless if they were laughing themselves silly or whispering secret solutions. And as for all of those "all these people are tied to other people"...so what? Back in the day that was pretty common as just about everyone was related to other people in the region, quite frequently a lot of people in a given region. This is all just more salad dressing lacking any type of directly connecting cause to the story. But you already know this.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
For today... Newton H. (Hardman) Hazlewood; 1840-1910; RM's "old & trusted friend" (Inner Circle)...? Did NH get a copy of the "Ancestor Pamphlet" (Beale PAPERS Pamphlet/"JOB PRINT") in 1885 or so...? Thus, he had FIGURES/Numbers for Clayton Hart to "copy"...? LATER, Hart visited "JB" Ward (Agent) in Lynchburg, Va. "Picking up" the Beale Expedition "story" from Ward & the "Ancestor Pamphlet" (AP)...? HART PAPERS (1952 or so); Inquiring Minds wanna KNOW!

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For today... Newton H. (Hardman) Hazlewood; 1840-1910; RM's "old & trusted friend" (Inner Circle)...? Did NH get a copy of the "Ancestor Pamphlet" (Beale PAPERS Pamphlet/"JOB PRINT") in 1885 or so...? Thus, he had FIGURES/Numbers for Clayton Hart to "copy"...? LATER, Hart visited "JB" Ward (Agent) in Lynchburg, Va. "Picking up" the Beale Expedition "story" from Ward & the "Ancestor Pamphlet" (AP)...? HART PAPERS (1952 or so); Inquiring Minds wanna KNOW!

Also one must remember that Newton H. (Hardman) Hazelwood was the head auditor for the Norfolk & Western Railroad before and after the Civil War and he was stationed in Lynchburg, Va. as it's headquarters. Now if you have a cipher code to solve you go to someone good with ciphers and there is none better than an auditor.

Also along about 1882 the Norfolk & Western Railroad was on it's way to moving it's headquarters from Lynchburg, Va to it's new location in the "New" town of Roanoke, Va. previously "Big Lick" Newton H. Hazelwood purchased property at Buford's Station no more than two hundred yards from the N & W Railroad Depot and another hundred yards from the Tavern of Paschal Buford's. He bought this property because it was half the distance from Lynchburg where he had lived and worked and where his job moved to in Roanoke, Virginia.

His Deed for the land was made out to say that he had to make his payments in "gold" I have never seen any other deed stating payments in "gold" but this one did. The land he had agreed to pay for went back on the market for resale because of him missing his first payment. He eventually made the payment and kept the land until he died. Upon his death the land transferred to his son Frank Hazelwood. The land was said to have a high knoll over looking the railroad tracks where Newton H. Hazelwood told his son Frank where he would like to be buried. Later Clayton I. Hart that had been an auditor working for Newton H. Hazelwood in the Roanoke Office and whom Clayton I. Hart had obtained sheets of ciphers telling the location of a buried treasure near Buford's in the County of Bedford, Frank Hazelwood sold the property to Clayton I. Hart. Clayton being a frugal man and would not spend money for anything unless he was going to make a good return. Yet here he is purchasing property far from his residence in Roanoke, Virginia.

A man from Roanoke, Va., that lived with Newton H. Hazelwood at the Stratford Hotel later had a new guest he moved in with and that being Clayton I. Hart. They lived together for years after Newton H. Hazelwood's death. Was Clayton I. Hart only hoping that this new quest had more information about the treasure. I have searched into this family but I have been unable to locate their children or relatives. He did not pass away until the early 1960's.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
A man from Roanoke, Va., that lived with Newton H. Hazelwood at the Stratford Hotel later had a new guest he moved in with and that being Clayton I. Hart. They lived together for years after Newton H. Hazelwood's death. Was Clayton I. Hart only hoping that this new quest had more information about the treasure. I have searched into this family but I have been unable to locate their children or relatives. He did not pass away until the early 1960's.
Where was Clayton I Hart's Otey wife at this time?

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where was Clayton I Hart's Otey wife at this time?

She was living with Clayton I. Hart as was this other gentleman and his wife. Whether the same room or not, I can not say but it was the same address. Could have been a motel but they both had the same address.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Also one must remember that Newton H. (Hardman) Hazelwood was the head auditor for the Norfolk & Western Railroad before and after the Civil War and he was stationed in Lynchburg, Va. as it's headquarters. Now if you have a cipher code to solve you go to someone good with ciphers and there is none better than an auditor.

Also along about 1882 the Norfolk & Western Railroad was on it's way to moving it's headquarters from Lynchburg, Va to it's new location in the "New" town of Roanoke, Va. previously "Big Lick" Newton H. Hazelwood purchased property at Buford's Station no more than two hundred yards from the N & W Railroad Depot and another hundred yards from the Tavern of Paschal Buford's. He bought this property because it was half the distance from Lynchburg where he had lived and worked and where his job moved to in Roanoke, Virginia.

His Deed for the land was made out to say that he had to make his payments in "gold" I have never seen any other deed stating payments in "gold" but this one did. The land he had agreed to pay for went back on the market for resale because of him missing his first payment. He eventually made the payment and kept the land until he died. Upon his death the land transferred to his son Frank Hazelwood. The land was said to have a high knoll over looking the railroad tracks where Newton H. Hazelwood told his son Frank where he would like to be buried. Later Clayton I. Hart that had been an auditor working for Newton H. Hazelwood in the Roanoke Office and whom Clayton I. Hart had obtained sheets of ciphers telling the location of a buried treasure near Buford's in the County of Bedford, Frank Hazelwood sold the property to Clayton I. Hart. Clayton being a frugal man and would not spend money for anything unless he was going to make a good return. Yet here he is purchasing property far from his residence in Roanoke, Virginia.

GREAT R & I! THANKS!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
She was living with Clayton I. Hart as was this other gentleman and his wife. Whether the same room or not, I can not say but it was the same address. Could have been a motel but they both had the same address.
Nah... same HOTEL! The STRATFORD or Stratford Hall Inn...?

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Need more R & I... it does seem that the GOLD Cover copy (PB) of GOLD IN THE BLUE RIDGE by PB & Walter Innis has MORE "Info of Interest" re the Harts looking for "The Beale"... :hello2:

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Let's see... Clayton Hart & wife lived in a Hotel/Inn in Roanoke, Va.; Walter & Pauline Innis lived in DC, at the Water-Gate Hotel; hmmm...

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
STRANGE... PV has Newton H. (HYDE) Hazlewood as the TRUSTED friend of RM in his book, THE BEALE TREASURE: NEW History of a MYSTERY; Chapter 19, "Trusted Friend", pg 150-156. Reading it now. NHH was married to Mary Marriott, "a native of Howard County", Maryland (p. 150). they had a total of 12 "kids", 7 who survived their parents. NHH was 21 years old (CONFEDERATE WAR), joining the "Old Dominion Rifles", (Company C) of the 28th Regiment Va. Infantry; mustered in on May 25, 1861. SO! Maybe NOT "Hardman", but, HYDE... MORE R & I to follow.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
NHH was a Freemason, had a FULL set of Shakepeare, like Frank James; LOTS of Codes/Ciphers, MAYBE written by Francis Bacon... the above "source" is worthy of R & I.
I also have OLD copies of FULL SETS of Shakespeare AND Bacon. MAY donate 'em to VMI, dunno. MORE, later...

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
NHH was buried on top of the hill of his family home, EAST of Bufordville; near Buford Depot. RR tracks was a boundary of his land in the NORTH, as well as the Great Western Road (Rt. 460 WEST - Montvale, Va.) on the SOUTH... he had 59 acres in 1883. Buford's Depot/Station on the WEST... AND! Towards Beale Treasure Trail, on the EAST! (Taylor's Mountain...?).

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread