Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as the gold and silver in Danville, Va. I know where all of it is located but it can not be dug up. It is in three different locations. I have the compass readings and the distance, also the depth to two of the gold caches. I have the location of the silver Mexican Dollars also but only the location and depth, no compass readings or distance needed.

But as for the Beale Treasure, I have not figured out whether it leads to a real treasure or was a diversion away from the real treasures. However there is a Buford's in Danville that leads to a large under-ground vault but I do not know what is buried in it?

Looks like you are onto some serious leads.....good luck finding those treasuries.....

Im sure one of them is a sure fire win......!

I am working on this cipher now to locate the map encrypted inside of it.....so far I have the map layout just dont know where it starts....

Gold Map Confederate Lee-Stephenson-Message.jpg

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
you mean Beale was copyrighted in 1884 and published in 1885?

just wondering when you think these events occurred?
As Rebel-KGC pointed out on post#4 and as I clarified on post #5 admitting that I typed the wrong dates.
You can stop your wondering over this typo.

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont take orders from you ECS.....sorry you were lost in the hundreds of solutions and their confusing dates....

While trying to tell me I didn't know my dates and that there couldn't be any window there for what I showed went down....

Confederates are being driven out of every state after an official review of the info.....swamp is drained......time to move on....

Film at eleven

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably not much of additional interest here, but I wanted to post the other complete articles that I referenced ealier in this thread related to James Beverly Ward's death.

Lynchburg News — May 18, 1907, Page 6, Column 7

View attachment 1509643

Lynchburg News — June 2, 1907, Page 2, Column 4

View attachment 1509645

Garry

Great work Garry. I would like to find everything about Alanson N. Caulkins but there is very little out there to find. Do you know the type of business he was in? How much land they purchased in Florida? Exactly what were their kin doing in Florida? Was Mr. Caulkins an attorney or Doctor? I have searched through the census records and I have found absolutely nothing. Why would they have left Virginia while so young. I mean Alanson was like 32 years old and Ella Risque was 27. Why would they even go to Florida?

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
Great work Garry. I would like to find everything about Alanson N. Caulkins but there is very little out there to find. Do you know the type of business he was in? How much land they purchased in Florida? Exactly what were their kin doing in Florida? Was Mr. Caulkins an attorney or Doctor? I have searched through the census records and I have found absolutely nothing. Why would they have left Virginia while so young. I mean Alanson was like 32 years old and Ella Risque was 27. Why would they even go to Florida?

Franklin,

I haven’t found much about Ella and Allanson. Everything I have is pretty dry and nothing particularly revealing but I’ll try to cob something together.

All eight children of James Beverly Ward and Adeline Risque, who were alive when James died, were living in Brookville Magisterial District of Campbell County, Virginia in the 1870 Census.

Sometime thereafter, three of the children made their way to Florida. Ella Risque Ward, Annie Morris Ward and John Gordon Ward (All Unmarried).

We find them in the 1880 Census of Santa Rosa County, Florida and all were married. Going back to the 1870 census in Florida we find all of the spouses were in Florida. I think it is safe to assume that they all met their future spouses in Florida. The earliest marriage that I have found (From the Buford Family Tree referenced earlier here) is that of John Gordon Ward marrying Ella Potter, November 13, 1873. From this it seems that John Gordon, at least, was probably in Florida as early as 1873. Annie was married to Frank Johnson July 19, 1876. We don’t have a date for Ella and Allanson’s marriage but it would have been sometime before 1880.

Why these children went to Florida is unknown to me but all three seem to have remained close as they and their spouses are all buried in Saint John’s Cemetery in Escambria County, Florida.

From Allanson Noble Caulkins grave marker (Findagrave reference posted earlier), we can find some information. He was born in New London, Connecticut and we find him, in the 1860 census, living with his parents in New London, Connecticut but shortly thereafter he was in New Orleans enlisting in the Confederate Army in New Orleans. His Tombstone carries the inscription that he was a member of “Company A, 5[SUP]th[/SUP] Louisiana Regiment C.S.A. General McGruder’s Command A. N. V.

There also appears to be a Masonic Symbol on his grave marker?

Does someone know what the A. N.V. means and is the symbol Masonic?

I’m 99% sure Allanson shows up in the 1870 in Santa Rosa County, Florida married to a Marian. This means Ella was his second wife. He may have had children by his first wife but it would be a small window and he and Ella didn’t have children. In 1870 Allanson list his occupation as a Book Keeper.

In the 1880 Census, Allanson’s occupation is listed as a Lumber Inspector. In the 1885 Florida State Census, his occupation is listed as an accountant and in the 1898 Pensacola City Directory he is also listed as an accountant.

He died in 1899. Ella went to live with her sister Annie Morris Ward Johnson and we find her living in the Frank and Annie Johnson household in both the 1900 and 1910 Census. Ella died in 1917. Notice the AUNTIE notation on her Grave Marker. This is probably a reference by her sister’s, Annie Morris Johnson, children.

ECS also posted a deed reference earlier.

THAT IS ABOUT IT!:)

I suspect we could expand on the Civil War activity and it is certainly strange that a Connecticut Yankee would be joining the Confederacy.

Garry

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
LOL! The area was known in the CONFEDERACY as the Army of Northern Virginia, commanded by Gen. Robert E. Lee, CSA. "Google" it!

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Franklin,

I haven’t found much about Ella and Allanson. Everything I have is pretty dry and nothing particularly revealing but I’ll try to cob something together.

All eight children of James Beverly Ward and Adeline Risque, who were alive when James died, were living in Brookville Magisterial District of Campbell County, Virginia in the 1870 Census.

Sometime thereafter, three of the children made their way to Florida. Ella Risque Ward, Annie Morris Ward and John Gordon Ward (All Unmarried).

We find them in the 1880 Census of Santa Rosa County, Florida and all were married. Going back to the 1870 census in Florida we find all of the spouses were in Florida. I think it is safe to assume that they all met their future spouses in Florida. The earliest marriage that I have found (From the Buford Family Tree referenced earlier here) is that of John Gordon Ward marrying Ella Potter, November 13, 1873. From this it seems that John Gordon, at least, was probably in Florida as early as 1873. Annie was married to Frank Johnson July 19, 1876. We don’t have a date for Ella and Allanson’s marriage but it would have been sometime before 1880.

Why these children went to Florida is unknown to me but all three seem to have remained close as they and their spouses are all buried in Saint John’s Cemetery in Escambria County, Florida.

From Allanson Noble Caulkins grave marker (Findagrave reference posted earlier), we can find some information. He was born in New London, Connecticut and we find him, in the 1860 census, living with his parents in New London, Connecticut but shortly thereafter he was in New Orleans enlisting in the Confederate Army in New Orleans. His Tombstone carries the inscription that he was a member of “Company A, 5[SUP]th[/SUP] Louisiana Regiment C.S.A. General McGruder’s Command A. N. V.

There also appears to be a Masonic Symbol on his grave marker?

Does someone know what the A. N.V. means and is the symbol Masonic?

I’m 99% sure Allanson shows up in the 1870 in Santa Rosa County, Florida married to a Marian. This means Ella was his second wife. He may have had children by his first wife but it would be a small window and he and Ella didn’t have children. In 1870 Allanson list his occupation as a Book Keeper.

In the 1880 Census, Allanson’s occupation is listed as a Lumber Inspector. In the 1885 Florida State Census, his occupation is listed as an accountant and in the 1898 Pensacola City Directory he is also listed as an accountant.

He died in 1899. Ella went to live with her sister Annie Morris Ward Johnson and we find her living in the Frank and Annie Johnson household in both the 1900 and 1910 Census. Ella died in 1917. Notice the AUNTIE notation on her Grave Marker. This is probably a reference by her sister’s, Annie Morris Johnson, children.

ECS also posted a deed reference earlier.

THAT IS ABOUT IT!:)

I suspect we could expand on the Civil War activity and it is certainly strange that a Connecticut Yankee would be joining the Confederacy.

Garry

Garry, A lot of strange things happened during that war. I know of a Yankee Doctor that was captured and placed in Andersonville Prison. City Council Members in Danville, Va. got him transferred to the prisons in Danville, Va as his father was a school teacher here. He was not placed in prison, he worked at the Smallpox Hospital on Lee Street in Danville, Va. where the US National Cemetery is located today.

Would also make sense also as Ella Risque's grandfather Giles Ward was from near New London, Conn.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other

Would also make sense also as Ella Risque's father Giles Ward was from near New London, Conn.
Giles Ward was James Beverly Ward's father, and Ella Risque Ward Caulkin's grandfather, James Beverly Risqué was her great grandfather.
As mentioned, James Beverly Risqué had a connection to Florida by way of his involvement in Jackson's Florida Campaign, and requested a position in Jackson's Territorial government.

PS: Thank you Garry for mentioning my earlier deed reference.
I have contributed many actual facts and links to this Beale discussion, contrary to the conflicting remarks made by another poster. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So every now and then someone has a brain fart. No big deal. Everyone knows James Beverly Ward was Ella Risque's father and Giles Ward was her grandfather. That is what is called typing one thing and thinking something else. Good luck on you trying to correct everyone on Treasurenet.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I just correct mistakes or misinformation presented as fact, Franklin, as others have done with me. :icon_thumright:

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
A. N.V. is PROBABLY Army of Northern Virginia, CSA Gen. R.E. Lee's Command.

Rebel,

Army of Northern Virginia makes sense. The 5[SUP]th[/SUP] Louisiana’s list of engagements are pretty impressive and I think most of the battles listed were under Robert E. Lee’s command.

Did anyone check to see if I’m seeing a Masonic Symbol on Allanson’s stone?

I wanted to add a couple of thoughts and an obit and I promise I will move on.:mblah05:

It appears to me that James Beverly Ward’s children received an above average education for their time period. It also seems that they were relatively successful and by the tombstones of those in Florida, some may have even been affluent?

I lean toward believing that John G Ward may have been the first child to leave Virginia for other parts but I still have no idea why!

The only obit for a child, of James B Ward, I have is one for John Gordon Ward. I offer it only as an aside. I would like to see obits for some of his other children. ;)

From Findgrave's website.

Obituary - John Gordon Ward.jpg

Two of Ward's children had died since his obituary in 1907. William Goggins Ward and Julia Herbert Ward had passed.

Garry

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well, it appears that area is where James Beverly Risque wanted appointment from Andrew Jackson for; SOMETHING from the War of 1812...? A TREASURE...? gGrandkids were looking for it... dunno.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
...and that area in Santa Rosa county was where the Spanish El Camino Real ran from St Augustine to Pensacola, and was utilized by Gen Andrew Jackson during his Florida campaign in which James Beverly Risqué took part.
In addition to the Negro Fort massacre, Jackson's group raided, looted , and killed in Spanish Florida under the guise of protecting Americans from "raids" that originated from Spanish Florida.

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
Franklin,

I’m using your thread again for an unrelated item but you did name it “Having Fun Again.”:)

I was working on the Lieutenant Fawcett & Friedman Letter in 1949. On the Ron Gervais, Angelfire web site he addresses - The genuine booklet. The Beale Papers on Page 23.

We find the following statement with a link to the 1949 letter.

" A researcher of Col. Wm. Friedman's files at the Marshall foundation discovered this letter addressed to Mr. Friedman by an associate who was describing his visit to Lynchburg in the spring of 1949 in search of information on The Beale Papers. It references, on the third page, an original copy descended through J. B. Ward's family."

My confusion; who was in Lynchburg and who is the author of the document? Who is adding the markups? Is the typewritten part a draft which has been marked up for inclusion into a final document?

I don’t see that it is addressed to Friedman. In places it sounds like Friedman is present and at the beginning the “I” seems to indicate the writer is Friedman but further into the document it sounds like the author is someone else.

Thanks for any help from anyone to get me oriented!

Garry

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The writer was Lt. Thomas Fawcett. There is a copy of the letter which I gave a link to on this forum. Go up to the top of the page and enter search type in anglefire page 23 and it will come up. If I could copy and paste I could give you the link. But the search will give it to you. It is a four page letter. Mrs. McVeigh was 96 years old when Lt. Thomas Fawcett and Mrs. Friedmen interviewed her and they say her mind was sharp at that time. She believe that the Beale Treasure was Real. Her copy of the "Job Print Pamphlet" is the copy found in Peter Viemeister's book. It was also the copy that was recently sold.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Lt Thomas Fawcett interviewed Martha Rivers Adams, the LYNCHBURG NEWS reporter who interviewed Mrs Adeline Virginia Ward McVeigh, her daughter, Mrs Gorham B Walker, and grandson, February, 1934, when Mrs McVeigh was 96, being born in 1846.
From Rivers he received these quotes:
"Mrs McVeigh believed the story as she believed the Bible"
Note: She did not mention the word "treasure", but story.
"Mrs Gorham B Walker "has always believed that the story was authentic"
Note the word "authentic" as in "authentic statements".
Fawcett did interview grandson, Gorham B Walker "who thought that undoubtedly his great grandfather Mr Ward was the true author of the Beale Papers".
Lt Thomas Fawcett conducted his Lynchburg interviews concerning the Beale Papers with the help of Martha Rivers Adams in 1949, and the letter to Col William Friedman from where these quote originated was dated, 30 April 1949.

NOTE: I read that Col William Friedman was present at the February 1934 interview conducted by Martha Rivers Adams when Mrs McVeigh was 96.

NOTE: Mrs Elizabeth Smith Friedman never interviewed Adeline Virginia Ward McVeigh, and held a very low opinion of the Beale Papers, stating it "was printed for express purpose of selling copies of it for profit, and the ciphers should be considered in the same light as the myriad 'treasure maps' which are sold in the southern states purporting to come down from pirate days" and adding "nothing more or less than a hoax".

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think folks are much better off discarding all of these older interviews and opinions, etc., most of them having been compiled from true believers and/or folks who never took the time to research the actual details contained in the narration, of which we now know that many of them were deceptive fabrications. Back in the day they didn't have a lot of this information/facts or the practical means of discovering them. So, grain of salt, at best.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread