"No Stamp Act 1766" Buttons

skylarking1970

Feb 17, 2009
Kent Read, Kent Write, Kent State!!!!!! Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum
Re: "No Stamp Act 1766" Buttons

I was watching the Antiques Roadshow on PBS and I saw an appraiser that deals with military buttons. Well, I found his website, E mailed him pictures of your buttons, and asked him if he had any information on them or an idea of their value. That was on Thursday. If I get any info back, Ill be sure to post it.

Have you considered going back to the same area where you found those at and getting (or making) an archeological screen and digging deeper with a shovel and screening the dirt?
Who knows, there may be some other stuff that is deeper than your detector may pick up.

Congrats on the incredible find!

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin

muttandjeeps said:
We have been back to the site a couple of times, no other "1766" buttons, but we got our first coins there, 1749 Farthing and Halfpence, and my son found a 1787/88 Connecticut copper.
We decided to give the land owner one of the complete buttons. They are great folks who still operate a small family farm that has been in the family for about 100 years. The value on the buttons is hard to pin down, there really in no significant documentation on them, and there have been none recently sold to use as a benchmark.
This was our first find of such rare items. It is a strange and wonderful thing to be able to hold a piece of early American history in your hand and realize that this was the beginning of our country's fight for Independence.
Thanks to all for the kind words and informative posts.
Kevin

Kudos for giving one to the land-owner, well done sir!! :icon_thumright: :thumbsup: :icon_thumleft:

loobosh

Apr 21, 2009
Chicago
Detector(s) used
cz-7, explorer se

This is what the hobby is all about way to go.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am just now finding this post. But that is one great find. I love to find old coins. But finding the old buttons and other relics can be so much better then any coin find. Find of a life time for sure. congrats to you and your son. :icon_thumright:

MAiner

Happy Harry

Feb 15, 2008
San Mateo County California
Detector(s) used
ACE250,Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Banner!! I have not been particularily interested in buttons. This post has definately changed the color of my glasses. I have no Idea of the value. It must be large due to the coherent reply by"Plebah". I wish you and your son well and Happy Hunting. Hope you find additional buttons at the same location. In reply to giving one of the buttons to the landowner this is in the mold of what the Brittish do and has had many returns of the positive nature. This is such an extreme credit to our hobby you make us proud to share your experience and hobby. HHHH

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah, I gotta look at this every day or two, keeps me hoping and dreaming.

ramfan

May 30, 2008
Myrtle Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett F250/F150
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

WOW,
Speechless here!

AMorgan

Feb 22, 2008
Houston Texas

I would encourage the landowner to donate them to the Smithsonian.... I'm sure there arent many out there, plus there may be a huge tax writeoff coming with the donation...

Alan

scratcher

Jan 31, 2008

I think that I should pass on some of this info that I got out of my daughter's history book. It may help shed some light for those like me that had forgotten anything they once knew about The Stamp Act:

After Parliament passed the Sugar Act in 1764, Grenville announced his intention to extend to America the stamp duties-already imposed in England- on every newspaper, pamphlet, almanac, legal document, liquor license, college diploma, pack of playing cards, and pair of dice. He gave the colonies a year to suggest alternative ways of raising revenue. The colonies objected, but none provided another plan. Knowing that colonial property taxes were low compared with those in England, Grenville drove the bill through Parliament. The Stamp Act became effective in November, 1765.

To make a long story short, it didn't go over well. Stamp Act Riots followed planting seeds for the Revolution..

deap digger

Greenie
Jul 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter

wow this is a grate fine. you should put something on that pewter to preserve it so it dont flake away. I never seen those before.

deap

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow those are some beautiful buttons!! :headbang: Any new info on them?

Jul 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX

An auction site where I have purchased rare coins has one of these that was auctioned for $8962. That might help give SOME idea of what the buttons are worth. If you have two? Who knows what it would do to the value!

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is a Banner find, Awesome job finding these !
These buttons are a once in a lifetime find . Just WoW .

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Here is the one my buddy found...

Attachments

• pitt.jpg
    pitt.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,461

kyphote

Jan 12, 2010
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gwdigger said:
A dug 240-year-old pewter button could not survive with this level of detail. I believe your friend found a reproduction. I also see discrepencies between the two. This said, I'd still love to dig a repro of something this fantastic. This is just my humble opinion. ;D

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

kyphote said:
gwdigger said:
A dug 240-year-old pewter button could not survive with this level of detail. I believe your friend found a reproduction. I also see discrepencies between the two. This said, I'd still love to dig a repro of something this fantastic. This is just my humble opinion. ;D
Pfft... :laughing7: The saddest part is I was just feet from him when he dug it.

kyphote

Jan 12, 2010
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

muttandjeeps said:
It WAS/IS real, and is spectacular!
What makes you certain it's real? My assessment isn't based on any knowledge of this particular button (I have none); just my knowledge that pewter does pitifully under ground. Unless colonists owned vacuum sealers, this near-mint condition button cannot be authentic. Your buttons are authentic in my and everyone else's opinion. Gwdigger's buddy's button is a reproduction. I'll even send a free Riker case to the first person who convinces me otherwise (and, yes, I can be convinced). :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions