Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004

P.B. and Dylan

Dec 9, 2008
Berks Co. PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV & GC1023
Re: "No Stamp Act 1766" Buttons

WOW...CONGRATULATIONS on your great find.
An unforgettable day for you and your son.

Paul

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac

I think this find is so amazing. It should be up on the banner first slot perminately, or for at least for 10 or 20 years.
Marty

OP
OP
muttandjeeps

muttandjeeps

Jul 11, 2008
Moved from the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts t
Detector(s) used
The Equinox 800 is the only one I need...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Man o man, you guys (and gals) are the best! You watch the board and see all the wonderful and amazing finds over time, and think "why not us"? Well today will tough to beat. Thank you all for the heartfelt pats on the back :thumbsup:

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

put those buttons in a safe!

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Congratulations to you and your son
on such a spectacular and wonderfull
finds and making the banner.

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This from the site Blacksheep posted...

Demont is one of the foremost collectors and appraisers of rare coins and Americana, and president of the North Star chapter of APIC (American Political Items Collectors) for the states of Minnesota, Western Wisconsin, parts of the Dakotas and Iowa. He also owns Historic Americana Investments.

He has one of the first known American political buttons ever produced. Made in 1766, it is a metal clothing button with a raised profile of William Pitt (the former British prime minister who spoke passionately against taxing Americans without representation) with the words “No Stamp Act” embossed on it.

“It is very similar to one produced by Paul Revere. It was the spark for the Revolution!” Demont said.”

Yes, that Revolution, the one that gave us the right of Freedom of Speech that started this whole hobby.

While Demont is a high-end collector, he insists that this hobby is for everyone. Alan Beam proves Demont’s point.

I also did a web search and only
one other item with the No Stamp Act logo on it...it is a tea pot that is now in the SMITHSONIAN.....
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/atm-objects-200811.html?c=y&page=2

Once again, those buttons are an AWESOME find and as suggested by others...DON'T clean them any further and put and keep them in a safe place, for they could be VERY valuable. Hope you find some more of em when you get back there!! :thumbsup:

redlined

Jan 15, 2006
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
MXT,Excellerator 4.5x7,Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202

This is one of those amazing finds that words simply cannot describe. Sure, you could go out and find a gold coin, or a cache of silver in a jar somewhere; and while being a great find, would not carry too much historical value. What you've found is handheld, tangible, proof of the demonstrations and revolt that ultimately lead to the Revolution. It absolutely is from the same fabric that shaped the country into what we all love today. I'm in total agreeance that the historical value of your buttons is overwhelming. Major kudos to you and your son. I'd build a screen and sift wherever those came from so as to not miss a thing.....

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero

I'm afraid that after turning this post on first, I have no stomach left to look at anybody else's finds. You have ruined my morning coffee/treasurenet fantasy hour....I guess I'll just go out and dig.

CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU AND YOUR SON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ABSOLUTELY A STUNNING, SPECIAL, STUPENDOUS, HISTORICAL, MAGICAL FIND(s)

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congratulations to you and your son on both the buttons and the Banner.

And I must say, plehbah speaks words of great wisdom.

pictures, pictures,

deeper :glasses11: deeper :glasses11:

pictures ................

Mike

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great piece of American history and if it ever goes to auction make sure it's at one with relics and early American coins. Most of Cobb's GW collection was apparently purchased by deep pocketed coin collectors. Of course there is a William Pitt Halfpenny which gives a connection.

Well deserving of the banner.

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550

Wouldn't you know it ,I stay away from the computer for two days and something like this happens.I don't know what else to say everybody that posted before me has said everything that there is to say,so I will just say one word.
AWESOME :wav:

One other thing Congrats on a well deserved banner and CHA-CHING$$$$$$$$$$$$$

fortbball9

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

An amazing and historical find...truely awesome in every sense of the word!

au4me

Mar 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whatever get"s the job done

Wow, I wish it was me, Congradulations. :wink:

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio

Now that is sweet. Go out and find the rest of the coat!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't want to sound shallow, but does anyone have an idea on the value and the number of them that are known?

Thanks,
Jon Dickinson.

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac

I am truly ashamed to say that I don't comment on a lot of the magnificent finds that get displayed at the top, but I felt I cannot be a lurker on this one. Congratulations to you and your son on one of the most remarkable finds I'm certain I'll see buttonwise. As Buckleboy stated above, these blow the GW Inaugurals out of the water.

A second congratulations solely to you, for getting your son into this wonderful hobby. I'm really glad you could both participate in a find of such historical significance.

Also as stated above, I'd be out there where those were dug with a sifter setup and a fine tooth comb! 3 out of however many and that ain't bad, but thats an opportunity to not pass up!!

Congratulations again on an extremely remarkable recovery!

J.R. Sherman

steif

Mar 2, 2007

WOW Great find!! I think I would be back out there diggin even imaginary beeps..lol..
If you can remember where the broken one came from go over that hole with a fine tooth detector... maybe you could find the broken bits and complete or mostly complete the third, and possibly find some more of those great buttons.
Great!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread