I Bow to the DFX God

Hill City Rebel

Aug 21, 2006
Vicksburg MS
Detector(s) used
Shadow X5/Fisher 1266/Nautilus DMC-IIB/Tesoro Bandido/NOT ONE SE
I've been hunting for 40 years and never found a gold coin. Congratulations are definitely in order.

Trash Digger

Dec 15, 2006
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
BioProfessor said:
What do I do for an encore. I don't know. Dig 1000 more pop tops and keep going I guess. I know I will probably never find any more gold. Much less 2 at a time and have them in such good shape. What surprises me is that I don't have gold fever. I am just as excited today knowing that most (if not all) the stuff I dig will be crap. I just want to do more. Gold or no gold.

I would trade my DFX but I am afraid this one has found all the gold it may ever find. You should keep yours if you haven't punched its "Gold Find" ticket. You are due and I am done.

Thanks again for looking and the kind comments. I was lucky. Your day will come. You just don't know when.

Daryl

Never say never. Any one of us could find gold our next time out. I believe MDing is part skill, part luck, and part determination. Research plays an important part, too. For instance, I believe finding an old plantation house site increases the odds of finding gold or silver coins more so than the old sharecropper/tenement house locations that I have been hunting lately. But we never know, and that is what keeps this hobby exciting.

Mike

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I also think that would qualify as good as a treadmill test. You are one really lucky man there. CONGRATS ON THE GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Once again a great story involving the dfx!!!

Here we go.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :o :o :o :o What a way to get started with your new dfx! i am just chewing up clad like crazy with mine! I very rarely swing my dfx in the parks I hunt without getting a good signal within 3 minutes! Congratulations and once again for those who passed on the dfx....you don't have to be a professor to make it sing!! Please make sure you continue posting whatever you find with the dfx. Now you know its potential. I hope one day I can pop a gold coin! I did hit my fifth ring of year today with my dfx! Great work!! :) :) :) :)

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Neil in West Jersey said:
OMG...I have seen a ton of gold on the forums this week!

Great finds!!!!!!!

I think it would be helpful if we all gave more details, such as signal and depth, etc.

WTG!

Great point Neil on one of the dfx forums I post on we also mention which program we were using, depth, coil, type of location, etc.

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Simply AMAZING!.. congrats. Got a question though....you said you found the 2nd coin on top of the ground after you filled the hole, and I realize that checking the hole again is a given. Based on the signal you got, are you confident that you would have recovered the second coin if you hadn't seen it? Please be assured that I'm not questioning your detecting abilities, just seeking your honest opinion. Again.... Simply AMAZING!

KenPa

Apr 7, 2006
Easton, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
That is absolutely fantastic and thanks for sharing. That is truly an inspiration. I hope it's only the beginning of many more for you.

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
CONGRATULATIONS ON FINDING NOT ONE GOLD COIN - BUT TWO! AS A PERSON WHO KNOWS THE FEELING OF FINDING A GOLD COIN, LET ME SAY WELCOME TO THE GOLD COIN CLUB! I FOUND MY COIN ON MARCH 23rd, 2006. IT'S AN 1825 GEORGE IV BARE HEAD GOLD SOVEREIGN, THOUGH I LIKE YOUR COINS BETTER! AGAIN, CONGRATULATIONS, IT'S DAY YOU'LL NEVER FORGET. ALSO, I'M SURE W&E TREASURES WILL WANT TO INCLUDE THOSE COINS IN THE BEST FINDS OF 2007 ISSUE.

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
beautiful gold ! and loved the story that led up to the find , hoping that i have a find and great story to tell like that someday , two thumbs up ! ;)

OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I have only been metal detecting since last December. I had to retire on disability and my doctor wanted me to find things to do. I had always liked metal detecting but never had the time. I did my homework and decided to go with the Garrett Infinium LS as I was going to spend the winter months on one of the barrier islands off the coast of Georgia -Tybee Island, 12 miles from Savannah. I knew the Infinium would be a "dig it all machine" but that was OK. Digging in sand is not bad and having so many Civil War Forts in the area, I might need to dig some iron if I wanted a cannon ball or some other ordinance. It worked great on the beach. Didn't work so good on the grass. I just got my DFX Monday. Only been out with it twice. I don't know enough to use other programs so I just turn it on, air & ground balance it, choose the "Coins" program and off I go.

I am pretty anal when it comes to searching when I dig. I scan the pile of dirt once the signal is gone from the hole. I pull out a shovel of dirt and rescan. If the target is still in the pile the shovel full goes in the hole and I scoop again. When the target signal disappears, I take the shovel of dirt and spread it out very thin and rescan to pick up the target. Once I find it, I scoop it back up in the shovel and check the pile again. I keep doing that until I can find the target. Once I'm done, I refill the hole and rescan the hole. I then rescan the area around the hole where the dirt was. Would I have found the second coin if I hadn't seen it near the hole for the first, definitely. I start scanning where I left off. I was using the 4"x6" Shooter coil and I even overlap that coil in my sweeps. So that is my scanning method. Don't know any other way I could do it.

So I am a newbie. About 20-25 beach walks with the Infinium and 2 outings with the DFX. I am extremely fortunate to have found these wonderful coins. I hope I find more but if I don't it doesn't really matter. In fact I would hope I could be with someone metal detecting and watch them find their first gold coin. Being part of that experience would be better than me finding another coin.

I hope everyone out there looking for their first gold coin finds it. It is an experience like no other.

Keep digging those pulltabs, poptops, nails, etc. One of them will be a gold coin. You just don't know which one is the gold one or when it will happen. All I can say is that when it does happen, you WILL NOT be prepared. It will one of those moments you won't ever forget. If you survive it that is.

Daryl

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Thanks for your reply professor, I was just curious..(some say nosey). Ya know, if you were more of a bragger, I wouldn't have to ask these questions...I've read posts that give you a play by play about finding a wheatie...lol....again,congrats..

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Nice job professor!

I've always adhered to the "dig everything" theory.

Thanks for proving it works!

Congratulations on the gold coins!

Ridley

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew you had just bought that detector, since we discussed the 12"coil.

I think what most were asking is what VDI number came up on your screen when you found the coins.

But I gather from your responses that you just listen and dig. A good thing to do.

Again, well done, and keep diggin'
HH
Ken

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
wtg! That's an awesome find!!!!!! Hope you find a lot more there. You never know, there might be a whole buried jar full of them. :)

fairfinder59

Apr 2, 2007
Sullivan County
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / Whites DFX
BioProfessor said:
I have only been metal detecting since last December. I had to retire on disability and my doctor wanted me to find things to do. I had always liked metal detecting but never had the time. I did my homework and decided to go with the Garrett Infinium LS as I was going to spend the winter months on one of the barrier islands off the coast of Georgia -Tybee Island, 12 miles from Savannah. I knew the Infinium would be a "dig it all machine" but that was OK. Digging in sand is not bad and having so many Civil War Forts in the area, I might need to dig some iron if I wanted a cannon ball or some other ordinance. It worked great on the beach. Didn't work so good on the grass. I just got my DFX Monday. Only been out with it twice. I don't know enough to use other programs so I just turn it on, air & ground balance it, choose the "Coins" program and off I go.

I am pretty anal when it comes to searching when I dig. I scan the pile of dirt once the signal is gone from the hole. I pull out a shovel of dirt and rescan. If the target is still in the pile the shovel full goes in the hole and I scoop again. When the target signal disappears, I take the shovel of dirt and spread it out very thin and rescan to pick up the target. Once I find it, I scoop it back up in the shovel and check the pile again. I keep doing that until I can find the target. Once I'm done, I refill the hole and rescan the hole. I then rescan the area around the hole where the dirt was. Would I have found the second coin if I hadn't seen it near the hole for the first, definitely. I start scanning where I left off. I was using the 4"x6" Shooter coil and I even overlap that coil in my sweeps. So that is my scanning method. Don't know any other way I could do it.

So I am a newbie. About 20-25 beach walks with the Infinium and 2 outings with the DFX. I am extremely fortunate to have found these wonderful coins. I hope I find more but if I don't it doesn't really matter. In fact I would hope I could be with someone metal detecting and watch them find their first gold coin. Being part of that experience would be better than me finding another coin.

I hope everyone out there looking for their first gold coin finds it. It is an experience like no other.

Keep digging those pulltabs, poptops, nails, etc. One of them will be a gold coin. You just don't know which one is the gold one or when it will happen. All I can say is that when it does happen, you WILL NOT be prepared. It will one of those moments you won't ever forget. If you survive it that is.

Daryl
Congrats!! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread